best carry on luggage

dtowncruisers

It's time for new luggage, and my husband and I try to use a carry on each, and one checked bag. I'd love to get it down to one carryon apiece. Does anyone have a favorite bag they can recommend?

Thanks!

DH and I travel carry-on only and found that the High Sierra wheeled carry-on is the best. We each have one and have taken these bags everywhere. They have lasted through some tough terraine and abuse! It is a wheeled carry-on with a detachable day backpack. You can also use the entire bag as a backpack. It is really versatile and holds a lot!

http://www.highsierrasport.com/produ...=AT105&lang=en

I gave up using a carryon bag with wheels about 10 years ago and have never been sorry. The bags with wheels are just to heavy.

I use bags made in Montana USA by a company called Red Oxx. Extremely high quality and made to last and last. Fine folks as well. www.redoxx.com The bag is used most often is called a Sun Chaser. A perfect size for a weekend trip or as a carry only for a longer trip with a checked bag. Great design and strong!

I have never been forced to gate check a non-wheeled carry on bag.

Like Penny, I prefer a wheelless bag. I haven't used a wheeled carry-on for years. My preference is a backpack. I find them easier to schlep than an over-the-shoulder type (although I do have that type, also).

Two years ago, we checked in at LGA or JFK one hr. and 55 minutes before our flight. Unfortunately, bags need to be checked 2 hrs. beforehand. The attendant said not to worry, we would be put on the next flight. Three flights later, we still would not have a flight, but I began to cry and explained I would miss my cruise. The guy took pity and gave us tickets. I vowed never to check luggage. Then last yr on a cruise with BFFs, we landed in Ft. Lauderdale and our checked luggage [yes, I broke my vow] landed in Miami. So, this year, I bought a soft sided wheeled carry-on. I think the trick is to maximize your "personal item." So, I no longer carry a pocketbook. I put that into a larger "personal item." This year, it will be a quilted duffle, quite light, in addition to my carry on.

What ever you decide to buy, please consider the size and the rules of the airline. With just my last two flights (Denver and Orlando) I've seen more and more folks in line for their loading zone forced to tag their carry-on, and have it taken around to the underside of the plane. 80% were wheeled, the other were back packs absolutely packed to near bursting. I understand that people want to avoid paying for a checked bag, but some make it very hard for those who may have seats toward the back of the plane and by the time they get on, there's no overhead storage left. Due to that, I only use a carry-on that will fit under the seat in front of me, especially when I know my seat is toward the back of the plane.

I am 32, married, with a 10 year old. Growing up my parents were divorced so I flew a lot back and forth to see them. I started out using a bookbag/backpack when I was a teenager. After I had my son, the backpack was still great because it had so many pockets.

I STILL use my backpack as a carryon. When I am on the plane, I can shove my purse in there along with a book, change of clothes and whatever else I find last minute as I am walking out the door :o

I have since converted my husband.

I use a jansport and I love it

There is not a "best carry on luggage piece" but there is a piece out there that works best for you. Instead of asking and getting 100 different suggestions, why not go to a luggage store (if there is one near you) and see what is available.

Right now, my best piece of carry on luggage is a 20 inch wide body Tumi, love it...but it may be too large or too heavy for the next person. A smaller piece just doesn't hold enough and backpacks are just so disorganized to me, everything is just crammed in there and it's impossible to get anything out without taking out the entire contents each time.

Between my husband and myself, we prefer not to carry on at all, but we have to take essentials plus one change of clothing, so we share one. If more people just got over the luggage fee and checked their bags, getting on and off planes would be so much more simplified.

If more people just got over the luggage fee and checked their bags, getting on and off planes would be so much more simplified.

The carry on problem existed long before checked bag fees. The fees may have exacerbated it some, but folks bringing absurd amounts of carry on luggage has been a problem for as long as I've been flying regularly (about 20 years). Business people have long been offenders - not wanting to wait at the other end, always in a rush, unwilling to risk losing or delaying something needed for a meeting, etc.

Frequently, when I would have checked my bag, I've been traveling with work colleagues who will not and so have been forced to carry on. It's always a relief when there is a golf outing involved in the trip, since they can't carry on their clubs and everyone checks.

I use a wheeled daypack as well, also handy for taking ashore. I rarely use it as a backpack, much easier to extend the handle and tow it about. It is a bit heavy even empty, and it's easy to overpack it (especially if I take my old 35mm camera equipment). I also use it for a carry on when flying. It will fit in the overhead, and under the seat if not overstuffed.

Good luck with whatever you chose, and have a great cruise!

JHC

Have a look at ebags.com to get a good look at almost every brand and style of luggage/bags/totes etc. They're also running a winter sale.

Personally, I alternate between a Hartmann roller and a smaller, lighter Tumi roller. But as someone mentioned, you need to find the right bag for you.

Archived