San Lorenzo Market in Florence

elpam

Someone on my cruise just sent me an e-mail quoting another shopping expert in Florence who said that all markets are closed in Florence on Sundays. Very disappointing, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

You will love the San Lorenzo market! I bought lots of gorgeous leather goods there--belts for my husband, wallets, and best of all handbags! My suitcase was bulging after I left Florence. If you are buying multiples of something don't be afraid to ask for the best price. I bought a shawl (nearly every other stall sells them) and since I bought six, I got them for 4 euros instead of the usual 5. Of course it helped that I was there in the off season; they might cost a euro or two more in the tourist season but even still they're lovely and a bargain to boot.

If you go to the San Lorenzo Market and have extra time, stop inside the market for the food! It's where many of the locals go to eat on their lunch breaks :) Got some amazing balsamic vinegar there, flavored salt, and other local goodies. Great prices too.

Archived