Bahamas or Western Caribbean

#4'smom

DH, 17 year old DD, her 17 yo friend and I all need an escape from the rain of the west coast of Canada. We're planning a short cruise in March and can't decide between cruising to the Bahamas or Western Caribbean. Our ship choices are Carnival Sensation, Inspiration or RCL Monarch or Radiance of the Seas. Which route and/or ship would you recommend specifically for the teenagers to have fun?

Depending on your time frame, I would add the Imagination to your choices. She does a 4 nighter to Key West and Cozumel. Key West is always fun and is easily walked. Cozumel is a great port for shopping and Mayan ruin tours. There are also quite a few eco parks. She also does a 3 night rotation to Nassau. Atlantis is a marvel if you have not been. I went for the first time last year. Cant wait till I get back there again. More to see this time.

Western Caribbean on either the Inspiration or the Radiance of the Seas.

If itinerary is more important to you, I think that Grand Cayman is more fun than Costa Maya (specially with teens), so the Carnival Inspiration would have the advantage there. If the actual ship is more important to you, the Radiance of the Seas has the advantage. It's a much more beautiful ship, newer, larger (about 20,000 tons larger than the Inspiration), and with balconies on the majority of oceanview cabins (if you're interested).

How do prices compare?

I'd recommend Inspiration to the Western Caribbean. Inspiration is a very well-run ship, and Tampa is a great port, easy to navigate. It also helps that Cozumel is probably the most fun port in all of the Caribbean. :D

Western, without a doubt! As has been said, if I were flying all the way from Canada, I would try to do a 7 day. Take a peek at the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. Great ship and itinerary, wonderful staff, prices are usually very good. Love that ship!

Thank you for all of your responses and it looks like we'll go for the WC. DD wants to go to Universal Studios for a few days before or after the cruise so I hadn't considered a 7 day cruise and I was only looking at Port Canavaral & Tampa. Having said that though I was originally hoping to do the Freedom of the Seas but it's not sailing that week.

Archived