How reliable are port arrival times?

bobolink

I posted a similar question on the HAL board. I was planning to book an independent excursion tour in Juneau while we are on the Ryndam. Is it wise to assume that we would be available for an 8:30am tour when the HAL website lists port time as 7am-9:30pm? This tour is not offered as an excursion through HAL on this itinerary and the money would not be refunded if we were too late and missed the boat.:) The Goldbelt agent did not encourage or discourage me...just gave me the info and said that ships have been known to be too late. Do I wait and hope to walk-up that day? No, there are 5 ships in Juneau on June 15th.

Short of mechanical failure on the ship or major weather problems, are the times generally reliable? I know anything is possible, but generally?

So, as it stands....we might miss the Ryndam leaving from Ketchikan since we're booked on Michelle's 12-2 flight with 7am-3 port time. I do trust her judgment and know that she may have earlier openings as we get closer to June, so not really worried. In Juneau, we might miss the tour to Tracy Arm and lose the $$$ because port arrival might be too late.

Never was a risk taker!!! Yikes!

Someone posted a link on this board. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is. I just checked the ports for the days we were there and wrote them down. I'll start a new threat with that as the subject line.

Bobolink

the site for how many ships are in port is www.cruisecal.com. just leave everything as it is except for the date and port you want. it will list all the ships that will be in port that day.

we are the bread and butter of the independent tour co's. they keep a close watch of the ships and if they get into port on time for their customers. i alwasys have a list of phone # and emails for all my travel contacts in case something happens. then i can contact them. but somehow they know and do all they can to accomadate you. have a great time and dont worry.

Archived