Upell question

Tammylyne

How does NCL upsell work? If I originally booked through NCL direct and change to a TA will I hurt my chances of a possible visit from the upsell fairy?

Being mainly a Carnival cruiser and never had an upsell fairy call us we are hoping NCL will be our lucky sail :D

from what I understand, nobody can predict who NCL decides to call. I did get an upsell on the Epic for last week on the Wednesday before sailing and booked direct through NCL. I booked with a union discount and I booked 15 months in advance. But no idea why they called me and not others.

I have also heard there is no predicting upsells on NCL. I would say it is a good idea to anticipate one so you can make a hasty decision. Know how much you are willing to pay for what.

I have been on 4 NCL cruises. I don't count the Norway... that was in the 80's.

I have sailed on the Jewel (outside), Dawn (mini-suite) and Sun, AC aft penthouse and NEVER gotten a call. I book through my cousin who is a TA.

We had friends on the Jewel who received an upsell to the CV3 from a penthouse for $950. It was a 14 day cruise. I was able to tour the CY and spent time in their suite. That hooked me to suites. I tried to book a suite for the Dawn - a 2-nighter, but the mini was all I could get, all the suites were gone and we were limited to that cruise, which was a birthday gift to my nephew. There were 3 of us in the mini.

So next, I booked the aft PH on the Sun and loved it. I guess I will always pick to book a cabin I am happy with and hope for an upsell, but realize the majority don't get the call. I saw the AB and AA on the Sun and I really liked our AC the best of all. But the AA was pretty cool!

I am genuinely happy for anyone here who gets an upsell and shares their excitement. I hope you do.

I was offered an upsell on Jade (Med cruise from Barcelona--AE to a CV) and Jewel (Canada cruise--AB to Owner's Suite). It happened just a couple of days before the cruise and I turned them down, because I was happy with what I had. I think it all depends upon how many suites are left unsold as sailing approaches. We had a ton of cancellations on Jewel because of a last minute itinerary change. NCL seemed to just go down the list of reserved cabins by category, offering the upsell. If you don't answer your phone or turn them down, they move on to the next candidate. I once missed an upsell because it took me 30 minutes to get back to them.

That's the same number we got the call from too. I almost missed the upsell fairy call.:eek: She was in the middle of leaving my a message and I picked up as soon as I heard her say she was from NCL and able to offer me an upgraded cabin.

Booked our Hawaiian cruise on POA directly with NCL 7 months out in Family Balcony Suite (no perks) and another couple in a regular balcony. She offered an upgarde to the Deluxe Penthouse Family Suite. I asked to call her back and booked it just a couple of hours later.

I then asked her about the other couple that I had booked and she offered them an Owner's Suite, and then the Grand Suite at the same upgrade price!:D Because I couldn't get a hold of them right away to confirm, they missed the Grand Suite:(, but were very happy to book the available Owner's suite (couple has only cruised with NCL once before)

Hope that you get a call from the Upsell Fairy too!:)

I have heard from other more experienced NCL cruisers that it sometimes depends on your cabin category. That those with Aft balcony cabins might get offered an upsell because NCL knows they can easily sell those cabins. Those in suites would get offered more expensive suites etc. It would be nice to hear from someone who had a regular mid ship balcony cabin or an ocean view who got offered an upgrade or upsell to a suite.

Does anyone know what comes up on your caller ID when the fairy calls? I work from my home so I usually don't answer the phone unless I know who is calling. If it says "Unavailable" then I'll probably miss the call. That would stink!

The week before your cruise you may want to answer it anyway!

Archived