Paris in a day

baderry

DH and I have a long layover (seven hours) in Paris and we're contemplating the HO-HO bus to see the main tourist sites. Has anyone done this before?

If so, any input you could give me regarding the easiest way to get to the HO-HO stop from the airport, then return back to CDG airport? Neither of us speak French!!

Thanks,

I have taken the bus, but we were in Paris at the time. It was a nice way for us to end a busy month in France when we simply couldn't walk any longer. Given that you are on a layover, assume you will be a bit tired. As far as getting into Paris- I don't know as we took the train from Versaille. But I think there is either a train or subway/metro into the city. I have done similar things when time is hugely limited- just a taste without exhausting yourself.

You will find people who speak English so don't worry about that. And for sure you also have to stop in a pastry shop and get yourself goodies. Politely pointing and looking ever so slightly embarrassed that you don't speak the language will get you everyplace. Not to worry and enjoy- Paris is a wonderful city.

Assume you get off the plane and right to the RER station in terminal 2 (Delta, Air France) you will want to give yourself 2 hours for getting back and through security. so that leaves about 4 hours. I would nix the HOHO. take the RER to St Michel/Notre Dame. After that take the metro from Chatellet to the Arc Du Triomphe From there the metro to Tour Eiffel. If you are in the mood now a walk across the bridge to the North side of the river, walk along the river to the Tuilleries Jardin. I would go to Place Vendome and end up at the Opera (about a 45 minute walk.) From the Opera you can catch the Roissy bus to Charles De Gaulle. YOu will have seen most everything on the HOHO route, gotten some air and "seen" Paris. Hopefully along the way you will stop for lunch and take longer than planned so you miss something thus giving yuou a reason to return to the most beautifull city on earth.

Thank you 5waldos and mayaroo for your input and suggestions. I'm a bit apprehensive about doing Paris on our own during a layover. If our stay in Paris wasn't so limited I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I don't want to chance missing our flight out. I found a website that has detailed information on the Rail as well as a bus. We have a couple of months to research more though.

Once again, thanks for the info.

baderry

I undertand the apprehension. What I suggested can be done easily in your time frame and will put you on the street with people. The RER is the way into town anyway. What I am saying is once you get off you are at a place that you do want to go into anyway. then why not tick off the two other biggies and see some Paris, NOTE I did not and would not recommend entering the Louvre, just walk on by,

I undertand the apprehension. What I suggested can be done easily in your time frame and will put you on the street with people. The RER is the way into town anyway. What I am saying is once you get off you are at a place that you do want to go into anyway. then why not tick off the two other biggies and see some Paris, NOTE I did not and would not recommend entering the Louvre, just walk on by,

Thanks again. Your information has really been helpful. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Take care

Bettye

Archived