Which bear tour?

robntawn

For a good description of and differences between the Anan Creek and Traitor's Cove Bear viewing tours, visit the Island Wings Air Service website at islandwings.com.

The Anan Creek tour is 4.0 hours including a 40 minute flight each way and 2.5 hours at the Anan Creek Bear Viewing Observatory. It's available from early July to late August. You see both brown and black bears.

Viewing is from a platform approximately 10 feet above the bears.

Traitor's Cove is available from mid August to late September. The tour is 3.0 hours including a 20 minute flight each way 2 1/4 hours at the Margarite Creek Observatory. Viewing is from a platform and is black bears only.

Both tours include flights by float plane from Ketchikan.

Assuming money is no object, which bear watching tour would you recommend? Anan Creek vs Traitor's Cove?

We will be in Kethikan August 15, 2005. Many thanks!!!!!

You did not mention this option but it was fantastic! Great flightseeing there and back. There were 2 dozen black bears (no brown) feasting on salmon. Highly recommended!

we're taking the anan creek tour for the first time on august 17. we're a group of seven and will have to be split up onto two floatplanes. michelle of island wings will contract out a second plane so that we'll arrive at anan creek to take the same tour. the tour is ranger guided by national park service rangers.

we also had to decide between anan creek and traitor's cove. the deciding factors were that the flight to anan was longer and more scenic, there was the opportunity to see both brown and black bears, and that anan creek is more scenic than traitor's cove.

island wings is one of the three flightseeing companies in ketchikan that have come highly recommended on this board.

Am I going to miss the bears be there in early May. We sail May 7th and I only want to see Whales and Bears. Will I be dissappointed? I'm already looking into my next Alaska trip for a different time of year.

Sorry. If you see a bear, it is likely to be a one-off situation. I saw one in mid-May from a floatplane, but it was a rarity.

Check to see if any bear-watching tours are offered (the operators will not start running them unless the main attractions are probably out and around). If there are tours, remember sightings are not guaranteed. Later in the season, the chances would probably be 100%.

Am I going to miss the bears be there in early May. We sail May 7th and I only want to see Whales and Bears. Will I be dissappointed? I'm already looking into my next Alaska trip for a different time of year.

You are NOT likely to see any bears going this early. One costly possiblility is to go to Pack Creek- you are early season there too, with Alaska Fly N Fish. Outside chance of seeing bears from the Klondike Highway if you have a rental car.

Archived