Southampton disembarkation

pisces1

Pisces1

Depends on whether you want to 'self disembark' (carry your own bags down the gangplank, once) or if you are booked on a Cunard tour or transfer (earlier) and if neither of the above apply which grade of cabin you are in (QG out first, Deck 5 Mauretania last). My advice would be to find a pleasant spot to chill out in & leave the others to climb over each other.....you are returning to the 'real world' and should be in no great hurry to get back!

Pete-

Thanks for the reply. I forgot about your own luggage toting. Believe it or not, we want to get into the real world as fast as we can since we are meeting someone in London and then are immediately off on a rail journey through Europe and would like to make it to an early evening Eurostar to Paris. We are in QG, so would 2-3 hours be a good average time estimate if no major delays occur?

Regina

Regina,

You will have plenty of time for both lunch in London and supper in Paris! Do you plan to take the train to London? I have not done a Southampton disembarkation from the QM2 (only the QE2) but would have thought that by 10am ALL the passengers would be off the ship - QG off first, of course!

You can catch a train from Southampton to London Waterloo. The railway station at Southampton is only about 1 mile from where the ship docks and good taxis.

The trains run about every 30 minutes and take about 90 minutes to get to London. You can travel First Class. The First Class Single Fare is £45 each.

Arriving at Waterloo you only have to walk along the platform to the concourse,turm left and you will see the escalator down to the Eurostar Departures.

Peter-

Yes we are taking the Eurostar and we will take the local rail to the Waterloo station. We have relatives who live in London so we will first unload unneccessary luggage at their flat. I too, have traveled on QE2 but not QM2. The time I sailed however, we arrived in Southampton in the early evening, and I was able to disembark quite quickly and was in London in no time. My dilemma right now is choosing a departure time from London. The best Eurostar fares are non-flexible and non-exchangeable. I want to pre-book since walk up fares are way too risky and extremely high in price (so are refundable fares for that matter). So we would like to plan a departure time from Waterloo that would give us enough time in case there are minor glitches or delays. Of course, there could be major ones like when were returning to NYC on the QE2 and we had to go way off course to answer a mayday call from another vessel. Or when we were on Celebrity and had to sail 500 miles back to port after a heart attack victim could not be picked up by the Coasties due to gale force winds. Can't control those circumstances. Anyway currently, we are looking to reserve space on a Eurostar that departs around 5:00 p.m. Doable? According to your statement lunch in London I would say yes????

Regina

Regina,

You might want to think of checking your luggage in the left luggage office at Waterloo rather than drag it to & fro:

http://www.excess-baggage.com/contact.php#waterloo

You can then visit your relations/meet them in town for lunch at your leisure and have plenty of time for a 17.00 departure to Paris....barring unforseen catastrophies!

From memory the left luggage is between platforms 11 and 12 on Waterloo Station, is very "user friendly" and doesn't cost much per bag.

You can reserve seats on Eurostar by going to www.eurostar.com

If you are travelling by Tube to your relatives, I suggest that on a nice day it is well worth walking over the new Waterloo Bridge to Embankment Station rather than disappearing onto the underground network at Waterloo. It is only a short walk and you will get a fabulous view of the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye and other famous landmarks.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been to London several times and have lived in Europe but my husband has not been anywhere but London thus the quick departure to Paris and beyond. I will be traveling via rail for three weeks and returning on the 5/22 QM2 Eastbound, so a locker would not be a suitable alternative. Something to keep in mind though, when taking a quick trip to Paris.....

Regina

Archived