Is Carnival pulling out of Mazatlan due to recent violence?????

Beave8920

Can anyone confirm this report? I suspect Carnival will be following suit since they own Princess.......I found this article in USA Today this morning:

Attacks on cruisers prompt lines to cancel calls in Mazatlan

Comments 24

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY

sapphireprincessx-inset-community.jpg The 2,670-passenger Sapphire Princess, one of 17 ships in the Princess fleet in 2010.

CAPTION

Courtesy Princess Cruises

Three major cruise lines have canceled calls in Mazatlan, Mexico this week in the wake of a wave of crime against cruisers visiting the city.

Holland America, Princess and the Disney Cruise Line are diverting ships that normally visit the West Coast port as part of Mexican Riviera voyages from California.

Disney says the Disney Wonder, which was scheduled to visit Mazatlan regularly through April as part of a new seven-night Mexico itinerary, will not go back. Instead, it will spend extra time in Cabo San Lucas.

Industry watcher Seatrade Insider is reporting the pull-outs come in the aftermath of three separate incidents over the past two weeks involving passengers and crew from the Azamara Journey and Holland America's Oosterdam. The news outlet says in one case, a mugger grabbed a passenger's necklace and pushed her husband; in another, a crew member's laptop was taken.

Just saw this on the CC Home page:

Carnival and NCL, both of which currently have ships sailing in the region, have not reported any itinerary adjustments. Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer De La Cruz told Cruise Critic Wednesday afternoon that with Carnival Spirit's planned Mazatlan call more than a week away, "we are continuing to evaluate the situation but have not made any changes at this time."

In response to a very similar quiestion John Heald just said this:

I cant answer for the other lines but I canm state that at this time there are no plans for Carnival to stop cruising to Mexican ports. We will continue to make sure we monitor the situation there though. Hope this answers your question mate.Cheers

:)

It has not happened yet, but you can about put money on it that Carnival will be pulling out soon. Its gonna happen, the danger of some of the ports and the politics involved is gonna guarantee it. John Heald knows its gonna happen, he just can't say it because its money and logistics involved, but he is smart enough to just let the "beards" handle it. One has to wonder how many of the Mexican Riviera area ports will be changed/skipped. I would think Cabo is the only safe bet at this point as a stop, but you have to have a good enough intin to sell with a brand new ship sailing outta Long Beach.

Paying good money/time to visit ANY place in Mexico these days ?

Maybe some cruisers think that the stuff that makes news every day is just made up, and that they are perfectly safe to wander around.

Decapitations? What's the big deal ? They won't bother vacationers !

Paying good money/time to visit ANY place in Mexico these days ?

Maybe some cruisers think that the stuff that makes news every day is just made up, and that they are perfectly safe to wander around.

Decapitations? What's the big deal ? They won't bother vacationers !

Thats pretty much sums up what I was thinking but I was trying one of my rare attempts at being "politically correct".

We are still showing Mazatlan on our itinerary for the Splendor 3/13. I think that I read somewhere that HAL was substituting Manzanillo for Mazatlan. Hmmm...Cabo Cabo, interesting. Our favorite is Puerto Vallarta...as long as we still go there we are happy! Actually just being on the Splendor will make us happy!

Heck if they were going to stop because of the violence than they should consider not sailing out of LA. With all the shootings and gang activity it is just as dangerous. The same could be said for any major port. I love Matzalan. Would rather be there than Cabo. Which is just like palm springs on the water.

Mazatlan is my favorite port to shop for clothes and silver jewelry. I feel so sorry for the sales people at their port because I loved to just walk around the walled in area of the cruise-port. It is so much fun for me.

Now.... it is over.... and I will truly miss Mazatlan and the Mexican people there that I know. They are most likely devastated with their major loss of the cruise ships who brought some prosperity to the sales people.

I am truly sad and I will truly miss Mazatlan.

I do love Cabo San Lucas and it will be fun to spend two nights there. I also like Puerto Vallarta and it would be nice to spend two nights there too.

One of the habits I have when cruising to any port in the world is that I never wear jewelry or flashy clothes as to not attract theives. I carry a tote bag that is a decoy. I hide my money under my clothes and I stay in the tourist areas. Crime can happen anywhere in a port city or in any city. But I think that the cruiselines have been keeping the crimes against cruisers as quiet as possible. But now cruisers are making it more public than before. That forces the cruiselines to delete ports.

Currently including last week, Carnival pulled Belize due to a huge problem with the tender operators who apparently want to raise their rates above what Carnival is prepared to pay.... They won't go back until this issue is resolved.

Other cruise lines have stopped for the same reason.

Here is a link from Jan 25

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/25/cruise-lines-wage-boycott-on-belize/

Others have dropped due to apparent problems....

Here from Jan 26:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41280044/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

So, either way, Belize is going to end up on the fuzzy end of the lollipop...

We are still showing Mazatlan on our itinerary for the Splendor 3/13. I think that I read somewhere that HAL was substituting Manzanillo for Mazatlan. Hmmm...Cabo Cabo, interesting. Our favorite is Puerto Vallarta...as long as we still go there we are happy! Actually just being on the Splendor will make us happy!

I would love to go back to Manzanillo. We had a wonderful day at a local's beach there. We got lucky when we asked one of the guards where he goes to have fun at a beach and he gave us a heads up. It was mostly Canadians and locals and the food and ambiance was like a throwback to another time. Loved it. When we first saw the area from the dock it looked unimpressive but boy did we have a fun day when we headed out to that beach! Can't judge a book by its cover.

Archived