San Juan: Favorite NON Tourist places -- Or where Locals might also go?

RSS from SF

San Juan, Puerto Rico: Favorite NON Tourist places -- Or interesting or good places where Locals might also go?

I'll be in San Juan on Monday 4/11/05 from 2:00pm to 10:00pm.

Will probably be docked at the PanAmerican Pier so we'll be cabbing out to Old San Juan and elsewhere if need be.

(Have been here once before, and did sightseeing to El Morro and very little else of OSJ except souvenir shops.)

I'm now on a hunt for:

1. NON Tourist spots -- where Locals might go and yet be also interesting or good to visit for us.

2. Maybe Tourist Spots -- but where a Local feels comfortable enough to be a tourist, too!

3. A local restaurant where you can have an authentic homestyle Puerto Rican meal.

Do you have any favorite non-touristy spots you like to go here -- or maybe a spot you like to go where you don't "just" feel like a a tourist?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

We were there in Jan. and found a great little resturant called "AL DENTE".

The food was GREAT. We had dinner there and highly recommend it. The address is 309 Recinto Sur. The free trolley will take you there. We could walk back to our hotel. Their website is: http://www.aldentepr.com

Hope you get to go there.

RSS,

Recently visited OSJ and I think we may have done/eaten at some places that might interest you. My husband created a journal with photos, lots of food pictures! If you are interested in reading this, it's a long read. Here is a link to a journal on our trip to San Juan.

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/RSSCDiamondSanJuanRT22005/entries/628

The link takes you to the first entry. You can then navigate to the subsequent entries using the link on the right side of the date bar at the top, or Bottom, (A Good Start> is the link to the 2nd entry).

Hope you have a great trip!

mdeane: Thanks for the recommendation for Al Dente. Looks great (my husband is Italian and when we travel, at some point, he usually wants the familiar.) Two questions: how are the prices? Would it be completely inappropriate to go there with small children (who are well behaved, but nonetheless kids...)

Thanks for any response.

We were there in Jan. and found a great little resturant called "AL DENTE".

The food was GREAT. We had dinner there and highly recommend it. The address is 309 Recinto Sur. The free trolley will take you there. We could walk back to our hotel. Their website is: www.aldentepr.com

Hope you get to go there.

Thank you Mdeane for the nice recommendation! On this trip since we'll only have time for one meal in San Juan we'll be opting for native Puerto Rican cuisine. However I looked at the website and it looks GREAT!

I&MsMom -

I'm glad you could pick up Mdeane's recommendation; enjoy your next visit!

RSS,

Recently visited OSJ and I think we may have done/eaten at some places that might interest you. My husband created a journal with photos, lots of food pictures! If you are interested in reading this, it's a long read. Here is a link to a journal on our trip to San Juan.

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/RSSCDiamondSanJuanRT22005/entries/628

dfb,

Your husband's journal was fantastic -- YES THANK YOU!!!!

Please keep this online for at least the next couple of months if you can; I would like to refer to it before my cruise and probably when I get back!

I definitely want to try the mallorcas (I saw these mentioned in the Chowhound website, but their older posts mentioned the mallorcas from La Bombonera -- I'll go with your recommendation for Cafeteria Mallorca!)

And El Jibarito and its comida criolla is the kind of food I would thrive on -- especially the Cabrito Stew; I'm there!

FYI, have you been to the Chowhound site? (You certainly fit the true spirit of a "chowhound"!) The site can be a great resource of recent reviews and opinions, and I think you have so much that you could share with them too!

In fact, here's a couple of relevant San Juan posts you might find interesting:

Thanks again and much appreciated,

-RSS from SF-

RSS,

Glad you liked it. I am sure that the journal will stay up for several months, not to worry. We did know about La Bombonera, but I had read that it had the same food BUT with cranky, grumpy waiters and who needs that. In any case, it is within a block I think of Mallorca, so one or the other. Our waiter at Mallorca was not friendly or unfriendly, he was just harried but did a fine job.

The waitstaff at Jibarito were friendly and helpful, just ask them some questions! On our return visit we got a waitress who did not speak English, but she went and got the answers to our questions and both experiences were enjoyable as was the food, clearly.

Thanks for the chowhound links. I did know about that site some time ago but had completely forgotten about it. You're right it does sound like our speed, local joints serving good, common, reasonable, everyday local food. One of the best reasons to travel at all!

Enjoy your trip!

Glad you liked it. I am sure that the journal will stay up for several months, not to worry. We did know about La Bombonera, but I had read that it had the same food BUT with cranky, grumpy waiters and who needs that. In any case, it is within a block I think of Mallorca, so one or the other. Our waiter at Mallorca was not friendly or unfriendly, he was just harried but did a fine job.

The waitstaff at Jibarito were friendly and helpful, just ask them some questions! On our return visit we got a waitress who did not speak English, but she went and got the answers to our questions and both experiences were enjoyable as was the food, clearly.

Thanks for the chowhound links. I did know about that site some time ago but had completely forgotten about it. You're right it does sound like our speed, local joints serving good, common, reasonable, everyday local food. One of the best reasons to travel at all!

Enjoy your trip!

FYI, I hope you don't mind, I mentioned you on Chowhound (and in an absolutely good way!)....

Here's the thread:

"Old San Juan, Puerto Rico - Updates on your favorite Native "Comida Criolla"?"

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/intl/messages/37000.html

...Oh one more question / regarding El Jibarito...

I'm taking the Night Tales of Old San Juan tour with Debbie Molina-Ramos...

[ http://www.*****.com/about_us.htm ]

If we want to go to El Jibarito afterwards, it looks like we'll walk back the 4+ blocks from where the tour ends on Calle Del Cristo ["Tour ends near the shops at Cristo Street"]:

• If we get there at 8:15, do you think we'll have time for dinner if All-Aboard is 9:30 and IF we're stuck out at the PanAmerican pier [in which case, of course, we'd need to grab a cab]?
  • If we're docked at OSJ -- no problema! [i'd scurry back the 5+ blocks to the ship; I did that last time when I had 15 minutes to get from El Convento on Calle Del Cristo to Pier 3 for All Aboard at 1:30pm on a Wednesday!:eek: ]
  • If that's cutting it close, then we'll be sure to have dinner BEFORE the 6pm tour. (That Cabrito Stew :D has me so revved up!)

Happy Cruising -y- ¡Buen Provecho!

RSS,

I would think that it would not take more than 15 minutes or so to walk from any of the places you mention to the other (excepting PanAm Pier!). Plus, from the restaurant to the OSJ piers is all downhill! We probably did not wait more than 10 minutes for our food to arrive each time we visited but we were there in the afternoon and I do not know how busy they would be on the evening you will be visiting. I do know that if we had told them we were in a hurry that I think they would have rushed for us, it was that kind of personal attention service. But, I would be worried about cutting that close to missing the ship especially if you have to take a cab out of OSJ to get there! Maybe you can call El Jibarito and ask what they think about the time you would need on the evening you plan to visit 787/725-8375, or ask your tour guide, she has probably been there in the evening and would have a good idea.

Good luck with the logistics and I hope you have a great trip. (Oh, and I guess you really loved the journal!:))

dfb -

Thanks again for the information and thoughts!

We'll plan to go to El Jibarito earlier before the tour now, so we don't need to worry about cutting things too close afterwards.

I also found Cafeteria Mallorca's website, and it looks like after the tour we can stop in there for a quick mallorca y cafe con leche also!

maintitle.jpeg

http://www.dreamday.com/webclients/cafeteriamallorca/english/main.shtml

Cheers!

In Old San Juan, the Parrot Club is a greta place for lunch or dinner. Predominantly filled with locals, a great restaurant but very cool and hip. We go every year anad meet our friends who live inSan Juan
kdowneymd -

Thanks for the recommendation! Word is out and I think it's even more popular these days due to all the glowing reviews!

Regards, -RSS-

Thanks so much for the link to the website. I love when I can print the menu and bring it on the trip with us! Makes our decision of where to head for a particular meal a snap!!
I&MsMom -

You're very welcome, I'm glad to give you the tip; hope you enjoy the place! :)

Cheers! -RSS-

Archived