Indian Tandoori?

StarboardIndigo

They had it on the Freedom ( Sept 2010 ). It was a small buffet, and was open for lunch from noon to about 2.30pm. It had tandoor chicken, and a beef and a seafood dish. Rice, and salads with lots of pickles and sauces, and naan, and poppadams. It was located in the rear of the buffet deck. I really enjoyed it. I have also seen some Indian food at the Taste of the Nations buffet on other ships. But Im really excited about the new menu option in the MDR on the dinner menu ( any ship ). You can order an Indian vegetarian dish now every evening, and the offerings seem to change from night to night.:)

OMG.. I think my boyfriend will faint.. Is there a menu somewhere?

Do they have Chicken Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken? Naan?

My favorite dishes. In addition, to the Tandoor Grill one can order an Indian dish at dinner. You will need to see the hostess and let her know that you want to place an order for the next night. I was on the Miracle in December and after I placed the order the first time my waiter had a dish every night. I shared the dish with mom and ordered off the menu as well.

Chicken Tikka Masala is served for sure in the MDR - ask hostess what will be served the next evening.

OMG.. I think my boyfriend will faint.. Is there a menu somewhere?

Do they have Chicken Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken? Naan?

Below is the Tandoor Station on the Splendor. The menu is from the 1st sea day. Everyday there was Greek salad, green salad, regular naan another type of Indian bread, hummus, pineapple chutney as well as some other chutneys and sauces that I can't remember.

I ate there everyday I was on board for lunch.

FYI - Sometimes the Indian food can be spicy hot. Unfortunately, the Indian meals in the MDR is too spicy for me to eat.

TandoorStation.jpgTandoorseaday1menu.jpg

I don't know if the matrix of what Indian food is available when was in that other thread so I'm reproducing it here:

Indianfood.jpg

:)

OMG that looks so good. We were on the Valor in 2006 with my father who has been vegetarian for the past 30 years. We let our server know on the first night and from that night on he was served a smorgusboard of Indian food. It was by far the best food served the entire cruise.

It makes sense because there are so many chefs on board from India! It just doesn't get better than that!

We are cruising on the Liberty in May and plan to take full advantage of the wonderful Indian food!

The Splendor and the Dream both have a separate Tandoor. The food is very good.

Dream050.jpg

OMG This looks so yummy! Just got off the splendor today but everytime we remembered to go it was closed. I think it was only open a few hours i think but not sure 12-3pm. I had no idea what type of food it was but now i'm sorry i missed it

• 1 year later...

Thought I would resuscitate this thread as I just got off the Carnival Freedom two weeks ago. Having previously sailed on Princess, HA, Oasis, I have to confess that I was very disappointed with the food on this, my first Carnival ship. The buffet was good only at breakfast time; at dinner, the buffet area had very few patrons possibly due to the lack of quality in the food and the lack of dishes being served. The dining room food, too, lacked in taste and quality. Please, no flaming, this is only one person's opinion. However the Indian food at the Tandoor was exceptional. I ended up having lunch there on most days. Fresh hot naan out of a tandoor oven, a different style of rice every day; legumes, meat dishes, mixed vegetable dishes - all absolutely yummy, not TOO spicy, but definitely not mild. Warning, though, that the naan does dry up pretty quick once it's been out of the oven for a while. The Indian food in the MDR was wonderful as well. There were 5-6 very small bowls of different dishes, just the perfect size for trying out a variety of dishes without getting overly stuffed. This is on the regular menu under 'Indian offerings' or something to that effect. Family members have requested Indian food the night before on other cruise lines in the MDR as it did not appear on the menu, and always received it, but in huge platter style quantities that mostly then went to waste. This 'thali' style of presentation on Freedom was absolutely perfect for one person. So, the Indian food became my go-to on many a lunch and dinner. So, given that, why am I still complaining about Carnival food? Because I'm a Canadian who immigrated from India as a child, so it was beyond sad that the best food I found on the cruise was food I cook almost every single day! And this is someone who loves Italian, Mexican, Thai, etc. :( Anyone feeling sorry for me? Seriously, though, for those of you who love Indian, the food at the Tandoor was absolutley authentic, delicious, and each dish had its own distinct flavour, which often isn't the case with buffet style Indian where every curry dish seems to have been cooked in the same creamy, tomatoey sauce. Also, the main tandoor chef on Freedoom (he and my husband became good friends and are still in touch) is highly trained and worked in the kitchens of some of the best hotels in India. He is off soon for his vacation between contracts and made up a month's supply of some of the pickles and chutneys that no one else knows how to make as well as him!

Archived