Chef's Table Gratuity

John&John

When we did this on the Freedom my 'server' was the Chef. The servers did all of the plating, much like an associate chef would do in a restaurant. It's possible that they were regular waiters but it seemed more likely they were crew quarter chefs since at the time of the Chef's table, no meals would have been served in the crew quarters. Each server only served two guest and all service was done in unison. We added a 20% tip as well. It was very formal and very, very good.

Well, I'm gonna ask John Heald. And whatever he says, goes <g>.

KC

shoot him a copy of Carnivals website first;)

I believe that gratuity is included in Princess' Chef's Table and isn't that where Carnival came up with the idea?

I think the basic gratuity should be included - just like the Steakhouse.

I'm really confused now because we were under the impression that the $75 did not include the gratuity and we left a HUGE tip for 3 people. I don't mind tipping extra, but if the amount we left was on top of what they already were getting-well, they should have been rolling a red carpet out for us the rest of the week!I would love to get a straight answer on this as I'm sure we'll do chef's table again next time we cruise.

Pat

I'm really confused now because we were under the impression that the $75 did not include the gratuity and we left a HUGE tip for 3 people. I don't mind tipping extra, but if the amount we left was on top of what they already were getting-well, they should have been rolling a red carpet out for us the rest of the week!I would love to get a straight answer on this as I'm sure we'll do chef's table again next time we cruise.

Pat

Not just that, but if they aren't "servers" and are indeed "chefs" then their pay isn't going to be dependent on tips as "servers" are.

Make sense?

Pat

Just curious at what kind of percentage is huge?

Not just that, but if they aren't "servers" and are indeed "chefs" then their pay isn't going to be dependent on tips as "servers" are.

Make sense?

Makes sense. I would assume that it just gets dumped into the servers pool. Not a big fan of assuming but I'm sure the Executive Chef didn't need the money. :D

Just curious at what kind of percentage is huge?

$70 for 3 people-is that HUGE enough for you? I had bought my friend's dinner as a birthday present and had left $50 for the 3 of us and she added another $20 cause she was so thrilled with the whole experience. If that was on top of an added gratuity-That's HUGE!;)

Pat

$70 for 3 people-is that HUGE enough for you? I had bought my friend's dinner as a birthday present and had left $50 for the 3 of us and she added another $20 cause she was so thrilled with the whole experience. If that was on top of an added gratuity-That's HUGE!;)

Pat

Ouch

Pat

If they get $11.25 pp gratuity (based on 15%) from each passenger, and you left an additional $23+ per person, that comes to 34+ per person tip on a 75.00 charge! They should have kissed you on the lips:eek:

Amy

Well you gotta say they are consistent.

The $ 30 charge in the steakhouse includes the gratuity but they will not tell you much of a gratuity is included but you are encouraged to tip extra.

The $ 75 charge for the chefs table same deal but you are encouraged to tip extra.

I believe that gratuity is included in Princess' Chef's Table and isn't that where Carnival came up with the idea?

I think the basic gratuity should be included - just like the Steakhouse.

Sanjay, who is the chef who brought the program to Carnival, told me that the gratuity has never been included in the $75 on Carnival.

The folks who do the website are aware of the error but have not gotten around to changing the text.

OK, guys...

I went through this months ago and John went to the guy who owns this program from Carnival and he told both of us that the gratuity has NEVER been included in the $75.

I'll get verification on this tomorrow and post it here....

For the moment, let's assume that's the way it is 'cause this is the way those wild rumors get started...

OK, guys...

I went through this months ago and John went to the guy who owns this program from Carnival and he told both of us that the gratuity has NEVER been included in the $75.

For the moment, let's assume that's the way it is 'cause this is the way those wild rumors get started...

No it is not a rumor...

Chef’s Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity)

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

The Chef’s Table is already available on Carnival Dream, Liberty, Pride, Ecstasy, Sensation, Imagination, Fascination and Inspiration!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/ccluk/Onboard_12_May_2010.html

If you want to see how rumors get started...go to the Carnival and Mexico thread.

Oy- so it is according to Carnival, and not according to the "owner" of the program. somebody needs to get this straightened out and the website needs to be the final say- not everyone spends time on CC. And frankly it never occurred to me that the program might be "owned" by someone other than Carnival. What does that mean?

Oy- so it is according to Carnival, and not according to the "owner" of the program. somebody needs to get this straightened out and the website needs to be the final say- not everyone spends time on CC. And frankly it never occurred to me that the program might be "owned" by someone other than Carnival. What does that mean?

I believe that Host Mach is referring to the Carnival employee who is responsible for the program.

Mach,

Errors and inconsistencies on Carnival's part (info on their websites) are the reasons that so called "rumors" get started.

Rumors are based on hearsay and unverified information. What appears on Carnival's site are neither. JMO.

OK, guys...

OK, guys...

Maybe you can find out exactly how they justify the $75 fee over and above what customers already pay for in their cruise fare if it does not include gratuity.

I understand Princess' fee includes gratuity and it is also $75.

It's not the cost I'm questioning, I want to be clear about that - $75 is a bargain in anyone's book for what the Chef's Table offers. What I'm wanting clarity on is whether or not the gratuity is included. Period.

If it IS, I don't want to be shook down, misinformed, or guilted into an additional 20%. If it IS, I want to know what percentage the servers receive. If it IS, I want to be able to make an intelligent, well informed decision about what, if any, I will tip on top of the already paid gratuity.

If it is NOT, then I want that information, too, so I can make an informed decision on what I would like to tip. If it is NOT, then I want to know if the servers are, in face, chefs or cooks from the kitchen, because if they are, then tipping them is wholly incorrect. If they are servers who ordinarily work in the guest dining rooms, then tipping them is appropriate. If they are servers who ordinarily work in the staff dining rooms or officers mess, I'm not sure, because that's where new servers train, and I don't know if they are paid in the same way during training as the servers on the floor. I think I have a right to this information.

If this seems all too specific, please know that I was a server myself for many years, and try to ALWAYS tip correctly, appropriate to the specific situation I find myself in. I just want the bottom line, the skinny, the details and the truth, so I can make MY OWN decisions about MY OWN money.

Thanks, and I await, with eagerness, actual details about how all this works.

KC

As someone stated earlier: The site that says the tip is included is a UK Carnival site, NOT the US site. John Heald will be the first to admit that UK people are the worlds worst tippers, so maybe that is why it said that for UK persons in 2010.

ALL info in the US, ie Carnival sources, Mach, etc., say not included. If you have doubt, then do the simplest things possible:

1. Ask your server or the chef when you go to the Dinner.

2. Don't sign up for it if you are scared to under or over tip

3. Cancel the reservation you currently have

This is a voluntary function, it is NOT mandatory for you to sign up for it. If you don't like a part of it, or how it is run, or the confusion in it, don't support it. That will cause action faster than anything!

I know that when I go, I'm gonna eat like a pig, drink like a wino, have a blast, and not give a flying crap whether the tip is included or not, but I'm gonna let them know how much I appreciate them for what they are doing, based on how they treat me.

Life is only as complicated as you make it...

Archived