Food on shore

1361bass

Am going to be in Belize and Costa Maya and was wondering about safety of the food and drink. In years past you hear about people getting sick from the water and from things like raw vegetables,fruits etc. Have heard of people eating Guacamole in Mexico and don't see any posts about avoiding certain things. With common sense (not drinking tap water, avoiding street vendor food) are we pretty much O.K. ?

While food poisoning is serious, I'm more concerned about hepatitis A and B. It's beginning to show up even in safe areas like Paris. A simple three shot vaccine does the trick. You're very highly immunized even after the first dose.

Isn't Costa Maya in Mexico?

Watch out for food that is washed in the water but then not cooked like salad or fruit that you don't peel. Something I never thought of but learned to watch out for....yes the hard way.

Food Poisoning and Montezuma's Revenge are bad, but I really would not want Hepatitis (any letter)

We have eaten in Belieze and Costa Maya with no problems.. In Costa Maya we ate at the port in a place called Mamasita's...the food was excellent...and when I say the hot sauce was hot...belive me it was HOT!!!..LOL...my DH loves spicy stuff, if he breaks out in beads of sweat then it is great...even he wouldn't touch this stuff..LOL...

I have never experienced any problems with eating in Mexico...but I have never eaten at one of the "popup" type wagons or carts along the roadside..I think that is where you might have a problem..good places to eat usually indicate that they use purified water right on their menus...look for that and you should be fine IMHO...have fun..I know we did:D

Sounds like if a menu tells us that they use purified water we take them at their word and will be O.K. Also we should only eat food that is cooked to be safe. Will be eating some of the hot sauce. Thanks

Our guide took us to a restaurant in Belize and it was great. I believe it was called the Bird Isle Restaurant-outdoor seating with a thatched roof. A traditional Belian meal is rice and chicken. The waitress noticed that we were drinking our sodas out of a can instead of pouring it into our glass with ice. She made sure to come over and tell us that the ice was from bottled water and we do not need to worry. Our guide told us that this place will be fine to eat. We were a group of 8 and had no problems. By the way, if you want a good guide in Belize, I recommend Margaret with *****. she is wonderful.

Archived