10 Bottles - 265.00

12 Bottles - 300.00

Diamond

5 Bottles - 180.00

7 bottles- 240.00

10 Bottles - 370.00

12 Bottles - 395.00

Remember to add 15% for gratuity.:eek:

My pleasure. On our last trip, I did some research and decided the 10 bottle platinum package was the best deal. If you like Kendall-Jackson Chard or Cab, the savings are substantial. Also, the Estanda Pinot was very good and a good value as opposed to purchasing individually.

Adding to the above, I did my own calculation on an excel sheet, and it includes the 15% gratituity AND breaks it down into a price per bottle. However, this is for my upcoming cruise and most likely not the one which was quoted above, but it gives a great comparison.

wine.jpg.72e8410411b04834bd3d1eb3d5cbb9cf.jpg

Adding to the above, I did my own calculation on an excel sheet, and it includes the 15% gratituity AND breaks it down into a price per bottle. However, this is for my upcoming cruise and most likely not the one which was quoted above, but it gives a great comparison.

What I did when on board last year was borrow a wine list from the wj and compared the per bottle cost if purchased individually to the bottle cost from the package. The wines mentioned in my previous post were terrific savings. And they are good wines, to boot. ;)

What I did when on board last year was borrow a wine list from the wj and compared the per bottle cost if purchased individually to the bottle cost from the package. The wines mentioned in my previous post were terrific savings. And they are good wines, to boot. ;)

On our last Grandeur cruise, we ordered one of the middle wine packages for dinners (my wife is partial to Pinot Noir). When we wanted a wine to enjoy in our room, I'd just run down to the bar, two floors down, and pick up a few bottles. If I recall, they were 22.00 dollars before the gratituity, and were not half bad.

When you do the math, you can be paying MORE per bottle by doing the Diamond package than if you purchased bottles individually, espcially for the more mainstream whites.

I agree. That is why we have always done the platinum. That being said, if you like Carmenere, the one in the Diamond package is quite good. We purchased a bottle outside of our platinum package one night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

thanks for all this info - we just booked a 9 day, we don't usually do the wine package since my dh prefers 'hard stuff' but my mom is coming along & the 2 of us enjoy wine with dinner. The platinum sounds good as long as there's a decent chard & chianti we're good

Regarding the "hard stuff." I partake, often. Living here in Virginia, we have state owned liquor stores. Prices are usually pretty good, however, the ABC stores here have a book (a magazine really) in which they have every price for every bottle they sell. I can take this on the ship and use it in ports to see how they compare. I have found some very good tequilias, both on ship and at the doodie free stores in ports that beat the local, state owned stores. Some of the whiskeys I buy here are usually cheaper than on the ship or ports, but I also usually buy them in the largest size they carry.

thanks for all this info - we just booked a 9 day, we don't usually do the wine package since my dh prefers 'hard stuff' but my mom is coming along & the 2 of us enjoy wine with dinner. The platinum sounds good as long as there's a decent chard & chianti we're good

What is the wj, if you don't mind me asking? Is it a wine journal?

In a post above this one, I mentioned the state owned liquor stores here. I also bring the catalog from a company called Total Wine here, they are a HUGE wine store that my wife and I frequent. Their catalog has every wine they carry along with the respective prices. I am suspecting that the wj is pretty much the same as what I am using. So, seeing that I have the prices and wine list for our cruise, I will be comparing the prices of buying on ship as a package vs what I can get at home. Although we all know we aren't supposed to bring alchohol of any type on board........

Good information exchange on this thread!

Don't recall the chianti, so I guess I wasn't impressed. JMHO. Definitely try the KJ chard and cab. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Regarding the "hard stuff." I partake, often. Living here in Virginia, we have state owned liquor stores. Prices are usually pretty good, however, the ABC stores here have a book (a magazine really) in which they have every price for every bottle they sell. I can take this on the ship and use it in ports to see how they compare. I have found some very good tequilias, both on ship and at the doodie free stores in ports that beat the local, state owned stores. Some of the whiskeys I buy here are usually cheaper than on the ship or ports, but I also usually buy them in the largest size they carry.

We have state stores here in PA too. I've seen the book because they can order bottles of stuff they don't normally keep in stock. Dh usually does Cpt Morgan, last time the ship had a really good deal on it so we picked some up .

Don't recall the chianti, so I guess I wasn't impressed. JMHO. Definitely try the KJ chard and cab. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Definitely will try the Chard, I'm super picky on cabs (don't like them too earthy) so we'll see about that one.

thanks again guys

Hi All

Thank you for all the info. Like Mark we have decided to go for the Platinum package. Similar taste in wine!!!

As we are from the uk it seems to work out cheaper to buy package on board owing to the exchange rate.

Jeanette

Thanks for this info has been very useful. I have one very daft question, for which I heartily use the excuse of being a cruise virgin :D

But when you buy a Wine package, does it cover the 2 of us or do we need to buy one each if we both want wine (like you would with the soda package)?

Thanks for this info has been very useful. I have one very daft question, for which I heartily use the excuse of being a cruise virgin :D

But when you buy a Wine package, does it cover the 2 of us or do we need to buy one each if we both want wine (like you would with the soda package)?

First, welcome to CC. Second, there are no daft questions expect those you don't ask. And actually, that makes you daft, not the question.:D

The wine package is the purchase of bottles of wine. What you do with them afterward is up to you. Drink it all yourself, share with your traveling companion, old or new friends or complete strangers. Your choice. ;)

First, welcome to CC. Second, there are no daft questions expect those you don't ask. And actually, that makes you daft, not the question.:D

The wine package is the purchase of bottles of wine. What you do with them afterward is up to you. Drink it all yourself, share with your traveling companion, old or new friends or complete strangers. Your choice. ;)

Great, thanks for that. I think we'll be enjoying some vino then :D

And to those of you who are truly dyslectic (expect-except, indeed), I apologize. I don't really have that problem, just a poor typist and a worse proof-reader.

Is it time to start the weekend wine tasting??

Can you get the bottles all at once, or do they give them to you one at a time, each day? If they are delivered to your room, is it once/day? Thank you!

They're your bottles once you purchase the package so the short answer is yes. They will not be delivered to your room. :( Most people order a bottle at dinner and if it is not finished (personally, I don't know how that happens ;)), it can be saved by the waiter for the next night or you can take it back to your room or wherever you want.

We seldom have any left but we do order another bottle if we want one in the room. Just carry it with you when you leave the MDR. As a practical matter, you probably won't be able to carry more than a couple of bottles, but you can take as many of the package as you want until they are gone. :)

I shared the 5 bottle Platinum package with another couple on our recent cruise (DH does not drink) and it worked out quite well, although I will say that the prices onboard are hugely inflated at approximately 4 x the stores prices. The selection of wines was not the best and we are all red wine drinkers preferring Cabs and Zins, but I guess one way to look at it is the cruise was rather inexpensive, so I guess you're going to get taken on something and in this case it was the wine. I did find the Platinum package to be the best value. On the last day, we decided to order a glass of wine and wanted to try a particular one that was listed on the menu, only to find out the ship doesn't carry it any longer. I guess they're waiting for the ship to go into drydock before updating their wine menu. :D:D

Great, thanks for that. I think we'll be enjoying some vino then :D

I shared the 5 bottle Platinum package with another couple on our recent cruise (DH does not drink) and it worked out quite well, although I will say that the prices onboard are hugely inflated at approximately 4 x the stores prices. The selection of wines was not the best and we are all red wine drinkers preferring Cabs and Zins, but I guess one way to look at it is the cruise was rather inexpensive, so I guess you're going to get taken on something and in this case it was the wine. I did find the Platinum package to be the best value. On the last day, we decided to order a glass of wine and wanted to try a particular one that was listed on the menu, only to find out the ship doesn't carry it any longer. I guess they're waiting for the ship to go into drydock before updating their wine menu. :D:D

I can't speak for wine prices in Canada, but in the States, the prices in most restaurants are about 4 x the store price, as well. If you are going to compare prices, then you must compare RCCL prices with what you would pay in a moderately expensive restaurant. Comparing to Costco, Sams Club or Bev-Mo stores is inappropriate and misleading. Stores simply don't have the same service and glass breakage costs that are found, and factored, into restaurant prices. If your analogy is correct, why would you ever pay for a steak in a restaurant if you could buy the same item at your local store for a 1/3 of the restaurant price?

That being said, I have also found the selection of wine on board very meager. I do like the KJ Cab and Chard and those are both good value in the wine package. Also, the Estancia Pinot is pretty good and also less money in the package. The rest of the choices, not so great.

They do run out of some wines on a regular basis. For that reason, I don't ever purchase the wine package before I board. I want to insure that the wines I will be drinking are available in sufficient quantity. I always question one of the head waiters about the stock of wine before buying the package. And I make sure the same HW knows I'm expecting the wines to be available. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a situation where the wine I wanted wasn't available. The HW always receives a tip at the end of the cruise for his/her services.

Archived