Cruising in 2 weeks...Probably Solo. Questions...

Classynfun1

Hi everyone!

I'm booked on the 2/12 sailing of the Eclipse! My friend and I have been so excited about this cruise and the much needed break. However, it looks like my friend will no longer be able to take the full week off (She's a flight attendant and even after bidding ended up with a horrible schedule). It's a long story, but even after all the back up plans, it just looks like she won't be able to join me after all.

I've looked into the possibility of having another friend join me, but after thinking about it I'm beginning to really enjoy the idea of traveling solo. :eek:

So, all the said what now? My TA is out on a cruise herself until next Wednesday, so I thought I'd come ask my fellow CCers. Do I need to have my friend's name removed from my reservation? I'm guessing the sooner this happens the better for seating assignments, etc. I paid in full on my credit card so I don't foresee any issues there. If anyone here has dealt with this, can you please let me know?? Thanks!

Oh gosh what a bummer. We had a similar thing happen last minute and the advice we got directly from calling the cruise reps (not Celebrity) was so conflicting and confusing. Obviously she doesn't expect to get her money back at this time and you do know that a single pays double the cruise fare (minus taxes and fees). I think I'd call the reps at Celebrity, though they often don't communicate much when someone has a TA. Let me say also that I've cruised solo several times and LOVED it. You'll have a blast and meet lots of people.

I also wanted to say GO BIG RED! My DD was in the hotel school at Cornell from 2000 to 2004. Delta Gamma. She LOVED her Cornell. I even have some fond memories of my own of Johnny O's, College Ave, Ruloff's and Collegetown Bagels myself. My daughter still fondly remembers RPU/ RPCC and Mary Donlon. Great school!

Thank you! Believe it or not, I fell in love with cruising by doing a 3 month long SOLO cruise through the Med on HAL when I was 25 and about to enter Grad School. It was amazing and one of the very best times in my entire life! Thanks for calming any anxiety though! I was on the Eciipse in a big group last fall so I was a little unsure about how this time around would feel!

Also - you're in Plano? My house is in Frisco/McKinney! Such a small world. Especially because I went to Cornell, too (Johnson/Hotel for MBA/MMH). I so loved my time in Ithaca, too! I love connecting with Alums! There aren't enough of us here in the Metroplex! :D

Talk about a small world. I was just at Bonnie Ruth in Frisco. I live near Ohio/Preston and Legacy!

My DD is Dir. Of Finance at a boutique hotel in Bev Hills and there's a really active Cornell and Hotel School alum network in the LA area. Have a great cruise you lucky thing! I have to wait 63 more days! But who's counting.

So does your friend have travel insurance? If so, and she has the cancel for any reason, she can get her money back (from insurance, not the cruise line) and you are all set with only what you have paid. The cruise line will have their money from your friend. Everyone wins.

I have waited until I was at the port to say someone wasn't coming. I don't think it really matters. They have their money so ir's not a big deal.

Hello, Classy Cornellian...

I hope that you have a great time. I LOVE to travel alone, although I have not had much opportunity. I'm another Cornell grad. For a couple of years the Hotel Students ran a fine dining restaurant cum cafeteria in Risley Hall (cafeteria prices; superb food---it was magnificent!). I lived in Balch Hall which was then reserved for young maidens and my husband-to-be lived in University Halls, and then we lived in Collegetown.

I miss Ithaca--snow and all; and despite lack of decent cruising ports and snorkelling activities, it was a fine place. It can be tough to find many alum away from the US coasts. We went to a sponsored Zinck's night once here and were 2 of the 3 total in attendance.

Sign up on the CC roster and you might find an early party to meet others. People can be very friendly if you simply say hello at any of the eating venues or if you join a trivia team. Have a fantastic time!

Thanks everyone (and special shout out to another fellow Alum!!)

I actually paid for the entire cruise myself, so I'm not at all concerned about getting cruise fare back. Thank you for the info about the taxes. I may look into that if not just to give that money to the steward. I guess I will only be charged for gratuities for one person and, though not trying to start a debate, I kind of feel bad about that. Anything I get back will certainly be given to the team that provides such great service!

Thom - thank you for reminding me about that. This actually wasn't booked interline because my rate beat the interline rate that was offered! The good news though is that I do qualify for interline rates myself, as the designated EDG for two family members that also FA's. I am one of the few that is not employed, or was not, employed by the airlines. I'll make sure to bring my credentials just in case I'm wrong. I'm using a new TA this time around.

Thanks again everyone and i'll be sure to post about my trip when I get back!

Archived