Carnival's answer to Oasis?

Jtd724

IMO the future is innovation and if Carnival backs away they will lose out. It is a younger generation cruising these days and they want more bells and whistles....This coming from a 33 year old that thinks the metro mover is great.

For those that cannot afford (or who don't want) the whistles and bells, Carnival is a great alternative and their formula of competing on price has worked very well for them. For those of us who can afford more and are willing to spend it, it's great that there are other alternatives out there. But I don't think, as you suggest, that Carnival will "lose out".

Do you tip the room service guy G'Ma? It is stupid IMO as well sicne I always tip but from the forums seems alot dont and the guy gets stiffed. He gets 1.50 out of and the rest to RCCL coffers. so to me not a biggie but ot others I can see how it would if they dont like tipping.

Now that Im over here I see what you mean Carnival Loyalists being Loyal to the product they like

And before any Carnival loyalist Flames me for that comment I say the same thing about Royal Loyalist

I always tip room service wether it is Carnival or any other cruise line But thats me

Im not wowed by any cruislines room service food choices. It does fill a need when I need it thou

And I do miss Carnivals lox and bagels for breakfast and a pot of coffee on the Balcony on a sea day

I cant even find lox on Royal most of the time

I love Carnival. I once said I will never cruise RCI. But you know how those things come back to bit you in the butt. Well it did me.

Planning our 2012 Family Cruise and was shocked 7 of us could cruise Mariner OTS (7 days) instead of the Miracle (8 days) for over $2,600 cheaper. I know we lose a day but one day is not worth that much money to my DH and I since we are paying the bill. We also get $100 OBC and a bottle of wine per cabin.

Does this mean we will not return to Carnival? Of course not. My dollars will dictate? where we cruise and usually it will be Carnival. What does it hurt to stray once in a while. It makes you see what you are missing.

IMHO guys.

Firefly you will be joining us on the MOTS cruise I see.

My feelings exactly. It's all about what I am getting for my dollar. We wanted a newer ship for our honeymoon cruise and were all set to book the Oasis, but couldn't beat the deal we got on Carnival Dream for a spa suite. If the price and ship is right, we'll go wherever.

Now that Im over here I see what you mean Carnival Loyalists being Loyal to the product they like

And before any Carnival loyalist Flames me for that comment I say the same thing about Royal Loyalist

I always tip room service wether it is Carnival or any other cruise line But thats me

Im not wowed by any cruislines room service food choices. It does fill a need when I need it thou

And I do miss Carnivals lox and bagels for breakfast and a pot of coffee on the Balcony on a sea day

I cant even find lox on Royal most of the time

You won't find lox on a Carnival ship either.

Oh just naturally mean spirited, gotcha.

Mean spirited? LOL I didn't take it as being directed at YOU at all, but directed at Royal Caribbean. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go on a Microsoft forum and post a thread titled "Microsoft's answer to the iPad?" and not expect people to start comparing the two companies. Product/brand allegiance tends to bring out the worst in lots of people. It's unfortunate.

you can compare but most arent, there personal opinions being discussed as facts. I find it funny how childish adults can get about things. Especially when they start conveying their opinion as fact.

Mean spirited? LOL I didn't take it as being directed at YOU at all, but directed at Royal Caribbean. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go on a Microsoft forum and post a thread titled "Microsoft's answer to the iPad?" and not expect people to start comparing the two companies. Product/brand allegiance tends to bring out the worst in lots of people. It's unfortunate.

He / she seems to be taking it a bit too personally, to the point of defense. :confused:

If you think it's really "me", go ahead. Request it.

But in real life, I have friends in Boonton.

Nevermind, hope you dont mind if I PM you about Boonton? hmmm, i cant find a private message thingy, can we do that here? very interested in your boontonites, maybe I know em?

Host Mach, you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want it. All the same old freebies are there, buffet, water-juice-tea, room service, dining room, pools-h20 zone. Why would you have to pay for something if you went on RCCL if you didn't want to do it?

to answer your question you do pay for alot of things not all people use! like the rock climbing wall, ice skating, the surf thing & thats just a few things that EVERYONE pays for in your cruise price thats why rccl is more expensive & not worth it in my books, plus the oasis & allure are just too big & pricy to build! thats my .2 cents

True. I havent lost money on a cruise.

I was looking at it more as a Id like to see a happy medium .. Carnival spending a bit more on innovation and doing something a bit different. Carnival is known for having less space per pax, less open spaces. Since I have 700 shares of Carnival, and only 200 of RCL stock .. I think Carnival is the more profitable .. but to me this isnt such a great thing for cruisers.

That less space per pax is hokum. RCL has a space ratio of say 42 and Carnival has one of say 32. WHAT does that mean?

It means the RCL has 4200 CUBIC feet of space for each pax. And Carnival has 3200 CUBIC feet of space per pax.

How much CUBIC feet does a pax need? Lets make it a VERY large passenger. 6 feet tall, 3 feet wide [huge] and 2 feet thick [pretty chunky]

6 X 3 X 2= 36 CUBIC feet for a very large person.

So on RCL a pax has 4164 CUBIC feet of empty space to "swing a cat."

While on Carnival the large passenger has "ONLY" 3164 CUBIC feet of empty space. You could stack, jam, pack, 9.4 full sized cars in 3164 c.f. of space.

And the entire difference, AND MORE, is taken up by the empty space [5 decks] above the Royal Promenade.

Nevermind, hope you dont mind if I PM you about Boonton? hmmm, i cant find a private message thingy, can we do that here? very interested in your boontonites, maybe I know em?

Your prompt made me look him up, and sure enough, he AND his sister are on FB! :)

lol. wow. simply wow. Love seeing grown men and women (some seniors mind you) act so childish. Anyway have fun guys on your cruises, whichever line you love! To each his own! I just shared a carnival concept video and then people start bashing RCCL? cmon were better then that.

Don't worry about it - many here are super faithful to this line and can't even fathom trying another line. No RCL (or any other line for that matter) bashing from me. I want to try them all before I make the decision that one is the best for me.:D

Lox is served in the MDR for breakfast i've had it on all 8 CARNIVAL cruises i've been on plus they serve Lox in the all day 11am-11pm deli counter on the lido deck! you will find lox on carnival if you look hard enough for it!

That would be smoked salmon. Not lox.

I've only done two cruises and both have been on Carnival, and we loved them. Now we're looking at trying the Freedom of the Seas, I know it's been voted the best ship for kids and we're planning a cruise with our kids, seems like the perfect time to try it. We were going to try the Oasis but cant' justify the huge price tag that comes with it, the Freedom is about half way between the Oasis price and the price of a 7 day Carnival cruise.

I preferred the Valor's size to the Triumph, so in that case bigger was better (for ME). But when comparing prices on the newer RCCL ships vs the newer Carnival ships, RCCL always seems to be more expensive.

I thought RCCL always sailed full too, earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they don't?

Untill Oprah also pays passengers bills racked up by all the for-fee dining and entertainment venues' date=' her opinion doesn't mean much.....

[/quote']

I've sailed Carnival and RCL and while I think that people who draw these LOVE IT/HATE IT comparisons between the two are mostly out to lunch, I find them interesting and you usually learn something along the way.

Still, I dislike misinformation so I'm curious why you say there is for-fee entertainment on RCL. I cannot think of a single venue so I'd just like to clarify that.

Did RCL do away with the $3.95 room service charge after midnight?

yeah, kind of. They gave us 2 more hours it's now 2am. I think its good for the cheapskates that dont tip, I always threw 3 or 4 at em. Now they get a part of that 3.95 so, its just a mandated tip for me, if I'm even eating at 2am or past which would be a rarity for me. Yeah I was thinking too what entertainment venues you have to pay for on RCCL Schplinky, I haven't cruised in 2 years so I don't know if anythings changed but I never paid for any shows, ice skating show, etc. That would suck if they are charging now for shows.

G'Ma what entertainment for a fee on RCCL are you speaking of or just trashing RCCL for the hell of it?

Archived