Carnival's answer to Oasis?

Jtd724

The spirit class ships are the perfect size, you never really feel crowded.

Indeed. The Spirit Class are the best ships Carnival ever made. Why they didn't make more is beyond me. They have the best layout and the best space to passenger ratio. The latter being more important to me. Carnival has been tweaking the Destiny design for 15 years now, its time for a fresh start.

Regarding the comments about not using a lot of the things on Royal ships, some of you people are missing the point. I don't climb the rock climbing wall, don't do the on-board surfing, not going to do the zip line, but I'm glad they are on the ships. While I don't take active part in these things, I have a great time watching others do them. Part of cruising for me is people watching, I enjoy seeing others enjoy themselves. I wouldn't do the pool slide on Carnival, but that doesn't mean I can't get any enjoyment out of it. As far as the size of these ships, Royal does a much better job with "traffic" flow than Carnival does. All in all, cruise, enjoy, and stop worrying about what somebody else is, or isn't doing!

Indeed. The Spirit Class are the best ships Carnival ever made. Why they didn't make more is beyond me. They have the best layout and the best space to passenger ratio. The latter being more important to me. Carnival has been tweaking the Destiny design for 15 years now, its time for a fresh start.

Carnival made over a dozen 'Spirit' class ships. All but 4 are sailing with HAL and Costa, but don't tell HAL pax that, they get all upset.:D

Since Royal's answer to Oasis is that they aren't going to build anymore, it would seem to indicate the market isn't there or that they aren't getting the returns they wanted.

If it is your cup of tea, enjoy it before there is a forced sale and they end up being floating hotels somewhere.

Given that the cabin price its second year is pretty well what it was the first, I think it must be someone's cup of tea. If you compare that to the Epic, which NCL is practically giving away, it seem clear that it's doing ok.

I'm looking forward to our sailing on Allure, but also look forward to trying Carnival's first post-Farcus ship. I liked the Dream but the traffic flow was horrible. While more food was free, the lines for it were bad so I hope CCL considers charging a fee for some things. I'd certainly have paid for the Mongolian Grill if I didn't have to wait a half hour in line.

Since Royal's answer to Oasis is that they aren't going to build anymore, it would seem to indicate the market isn't there or that they aren't getting the returns they wanted.

If it is your cup of tea, enjoy it before there is a forced sale and they end up being floating hotels somewhere.

The answer to Oasis was Allure. ;) May I ask your age sir?

No dung. And now they are done. I doubt any ship builder will be dumb enough to finance RCCL ships in the future.

Maybe they can find a ship-builder as naiive as the stock market, where RCL stock has rebounded from $6 a share to the high forties because of the Oasis.

Seriously...

I see the prices for Oasis and Allure as still being high, so there's no forced sales.

Also, if Royal was doing so badly I doubt they'd be planning a new ship.

Epic must be doing OK as well, since NCL is also going forward with a new build.

Royal's ships are beautiful, inside and out.

Really, Carnival needs to do something innovative and new. Their ships are basically the same ~ over and over ~ boring!

No dung. And now they are done. I doubt any ship builder will be dumb enough to finance RCCL ships in the future.

Well there already about to make a new class between the size of voyager and radiance. Guess there's still a dummy out there. Anyway enjoy all your future cruises, they truly are the best vacations.

Really, Carnival needs to do something innovative and new. Their ships are basically the same ~ over and over ~ boring!

I have high hopes for after Joe Farcus is done. The first one without his influence should be interesting and we'll consider that. The "more is more" style that he had just got really old and distracted from the rest of the CCL product. I think CCL had the best dining room food of any line we've sailed, including HAL and Celebrity, but the first thing anyone mentions when you say that is the tacky funhouse decor.

They are:confused::confused: I can say with great certainty that my category isn't being given away:(

Our friend went in a Studio room in September and was told he could stay in a second week for $400. He said the cruise director said there were only 3000 onboard.

Our friend went in a Studio room in September and was told he could stay in a second week for $400. He said the cruise director said there were only 3000 onboard.

September isn't exactly high season cruising time though ;) and it was purposely not sailing full initially. Good deal though. Did your friend take them up on the offer?

September isn't exactly high season cruising time though ;) and it was purposely not sailing full initially. Good deal though. Did your friend take them up on the offer?

Agree that it's low season but most lines still manage to fill their newest ships.

Sadly, he did not. He was in his last week of three weeks off. It was his first cruise and he was exhausted because he tried to do it all.

Agree that it's low season but most lines still manage to fill their newest ships.

Sadly, he did not. He was in his last week of three weeks off. It was his first cruise and he was exhausted because he tried to do it all.

Yes, I remember the first cruise-do it all experience too. I needed another week off to recover!

BTW, the Epic is now sailing full in case you are interested;)

Yes, I remember the first cruise-do it all experience too. I needed another week off to recover!

BTW, the Epic is now sailing full in case you are interested;)

Good to know. Be interested to hear how you like it. We're on NCL Star in three weeks and I'm looking forward to all the specialties.

Good to know. Be interested to hear how you like it. We're on NCL Star in three weeks and I'm looking forward to all the specialties.

Make sure you post a review over there - I'd be interested in your thoughts for sure. Keep an eye out for my review in another 300+ days:o

Long way to go ....

Make sure you post a review over there - I'd be interested in your thoughts for sure. Keep an eye out for my review in another 300+ days:o

Long way to go ....

Will do. The big drama is whether we'll go to Mazatlan. Disney, Princess and HAL pulled out while CCL and NCL have not yet.

To everyone else, sorry for veering off topic.

Will do. The big drama is whether we'll go to Mazatlan. Disney, Princess and HAL pulled out while CCL and NCL have not yet.

To everyone else, sorry for veering off topic.

No worries, things veer off topic here all the time:D

I wanted to do Allure or Oasis this year. The problem is that Carnival was a lot cheaper. I will wait another year or two and see if the prices drop. I think part of RCCL's problem is that for those massive ships to pay for themselves the prices have to continue being high and close to full occupancy for years and I'm not sure they will be.

If Carnival did make a bigger ship to compete it would also be more expensive and let's not forget that larger ships are limited to the ports they can dock at. It depends on whether you think paying a higher price for more bells and whistles is worth it.

I can say that with some things like the flowrider they are only open limited times and have long waits. This makes it not worth doing for me. I hate lines.

I was on Oasis in January 2010.

There were no lines for the flowriders when I looked. There were about 5 or 6 people going over and over. Now this was early in the cruise and in the morning. Same with the zip line. My dh went in the morning on the first sea day and there was no "wait." He made a reservation for 10 AM (it was about 9:30 or so) and came back at his time and got right on. Later in the cruise, there seemed to be more of a line.

There is so much to do on these ships ~ the people are all spread out. We did NOT encounter any lines or crowds except for the buffet on the first day.

Archived