Just Back, here are our Thoughts . . .

Razberryt

After much research, I finally found a place in Progreso to renew our marriage vows. Now that we're back, my husband has commented several times that if we hadn't done that there, that he doesn't feel like it would've been very much of a fun port. All that's really there is shopping, and a few bars. We aren't drinkers, so the bars don't interest us. And he is not into the shopping.

On the other hand, for those of us to like to shop, the shopping is quite good, and fun! Lots of items and you can of course bargain about the prices.

Here's what to know: After you get off the ship, you meander through the pier shops and finally reach a sign for the Autoprogreso free shuttle bus. Once you board the bus and it starts towards the town, one of their guides will begin to describe the tours they offer. Once you get to the Mercado (the market in town) you are about one block off of the beachfront, so you could easily just walk to the beachfront and shop and eat/drink.

If you are wanting to take any of the Autoprogreso tours, it is not difficult to find how to buy one! LOL We had to tell SEVERAL tour salesmen that we already had plans for the day. They are quite persistent, but we just kept saying, no thank you, we already have plans. And keep walking. If you stop, they will take that as an opportunity to explain what they have to sell you. It's okay to just keep walking. No need to be rude, they are just doing their job.

We walked up about one block to a place we had planned ahead of time to meet with Diane, where she could park to pick us up.

The house we rented for the day is available for small groups, so if anyone is interested please let me know and I can get you in touch with Diane. She was an excellent hostess! We had snacks and sat on her porch looking out at the ocean, my girls collected shells from the beach and played in the sand all day. My grandma took a morning nap in one of the comfy beds. All in all, it was quite perfect for this port!

• 2 months later...

Archived