help-shore excursions

b4minks

Hello everyone, I'm booked on the Classica for a 14 nite cruise thru Thailand and Malaysia this March. Here's where I need help. First, I booked without reading the comments here, but it's done so have to make the best of it.

I'm an American, who'll be traveling alone, and assumed the shore excursions arranged thru Costa were the way to go. Now I read that people have had lots of issues with these trips. Does anyone have anything good to say about the day excursions booked in advance? What suggestions do you have? I prefer to avoid making arrangements on my own in port.

Thanks so much.

Hello everyone, I'm booked on the Classica for a 14 nite cruise thru Thailand and Malaysia this March. Here's where I need help. First, I booked without reading the comments here, but it's done so have to make the best of it.

I'm an American, who'll be traveling alone, and assumed the shore excursions arranged thru Costa were the way to go. Now I read that people have had lots of issues with these trips. Does anyone have anything good to say about the day excursions booked in advance? What suggestions do you have? I prefer to avoid making arrangements on my own in port.

Thanks so much.

Hi B4minks

My family travelled on "part 2" of this cruise - 7 nights, Singapore, KL, Phuket, Penanga, Langkawi, Malacca. I have posted a review which I hope may reassure you that not everyone found the cruise or the Classica to be disappointing. I have decided to go with the theory that most people only write reviews or send feedback if they wish to complain....

I feel like I am sticking my neck out here, but we would recommend this cruise to others. We had a very enjoyable holiday and would definitely go again.

In terms of the ports, we didn't opt for the excursions mainly because they can be expensive (when costing for a family of 4) and also because we like the fun of having a day exploring the sites on our own. However, a couple at our dinner table booked an excursion at every port and the majority of the tours they found really enjoyable.

The only organised Costa tour we did was "KL on your own" as this was an affordable means of getting from Port Klang (some 1h + from KL).

Enjoy your Cruise - I wish it was me going again:)

That is a shock to me - over an hour from Port Klang to KL !

Does the MRT extend to there ? Other Forums indicate all areas are connected which should make it easy to do DIY.

This is the problem, not knowing the distances involved from A to B.

Do Costa follow other Cruise lines in arranging shuttle buses to the nearest town ?

No Cruise line should be allowed to enforce a monopoly in 'its our excursions and our exhorbitant prices or stay on ship'. I just can't afford those prices for my family. Same with the drinks packages - if the prices on board were reasonable, there would be no need for drinks packages. £2.60 for a coke ? - outrageous.

Hi asianut

Why don't you google MRT Port Klang and see what you get. That should answer you question. It depends where the cruise line docks on that day. There have been posts raised about a train - not worth taking the chance. Book a transfer if you want to go into KL. No one has posted yet that they have done the train -so we are all in the same boat (literally) On my previous costa Cruise - shuttle buses were only advertised around 9.30pm the night before. You could buy your transfer through their machines on board. No one has mentioned this for KL so I take it the "KL on your own" is the only one. If you are taking youngsters - have you considered the boys and girls cards for soft drinks? works out cheaper. Adults can use them as well. Have a good read through the posts - see what you can pick up - no point in moaning about what you can't afford - have a look at what you can afford. You'll stress yourself out and ruin your holiday. get yourself a pot and all throw your spare money in between now and the cruise - you never know how much you will collect.

On another note - have you checked your invoice to make sure that you have pre paid your service charges for everyone for the cruise otherwise you will have a heart attack at the end if you haven't. Double check - this is an issue that catches UK cruisers out quite often.

Regards

On another note - have you checked your invoice to make sure that you have pre paid your service charges for everyone for the cruise otherwise you will have a heart attack at the end if you haven't. Double check - this is an issue that catches UK cruisers out quite often.

Dizzy, the prepyment of the Service Charge only applies to Australian passengers, as according to Australian law (which I find other countries should take up) any additional charges have to be included in the total cruise price invoice. For UK and other European passengers this is not done, it has to be paid on-board at the end ot the cruise.

Ron

Hi Ron

I tried to put it nicely in the posting - as someone from the UK has posted yet again - in the ship review - "about the small print" relating to the charges.

I may be reading asianuts posting wrong - but if they are on a tight budget - and if they have not read the small print - they could be in for a shock.

Dizzy, the prepyment of the Service Charge . For UK and other European passengers this is not done, it has to be paid on-board at the end ot the cruise.

Ron

Regards

Costa cruise ships normally berth at the old Star Cruises terminal in PK (only a couple of stalls there), which is quiet away outside of PK. In most ports Costa does lay on a chargeable shuttle bus, but there are no (or weren't when I was there) shuttle buses provided Costa into PK. PK is really not worth visiting - just an industrlal port.

When we were there 5 Costa buses returned 1 1/2 hours late because of the traffic jams that can occur in KL and between KL and PK, of course the ship waited for them, but if you are on a private tour then you are on your own. Costa has no liability to wait and you have absolutely no redress with Costa.

There are two Costa excursions to KL where they just provide the bus transfer and you are at leisure to do as you please in KL.

KUALA LUMPUR ON YOUR OWN

Cod. EXC_6097 Adults €42.00 Kids €31.50

KUALA LUMPUR ON YOUR OWN

Cod. EXC_6397 Adults €35.00 Kids €26.25

Here is the link to KL Shore Excursions:

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/cruise_holidays/far_east-malaysia-port_klang_kuala_lumpur_malaysia.html

Before I book a cruise I do my homework and cost out the approximate total price (including, air fares, cruise, service charge, drinks and excursions - Costa and private). If the price is to expensive for me then I look for something nearer home, as I don't want to travel half way round the world and not be able to afford a beer or an excursion to a place that I will probably never visit again.

Costa just like other cruise lines do not have a monopoly on shore excursions (with the exception of the cruise lines private islands in the Caribbean), you can always arrange your own private trips before hand or take a taxi when you arrive at the port.

Ron

Thanks so much.

Hi b4minks,

It is not necessary to book the Costa shore excursions before you leave for the cruise, they can be booked on-board. The only excursions that I book before leaving are trips that I most definately want ot see or if the number of places are limited i.e. Fantasea Show in Phuket.

Also you may get the chance to share private trips with other passengers that you get to know on-board.

The other plus points about the Costa excursions are the security aspect (e.g. not traveling alone) and if the Costa bus is late getting back to the port the ship will wait, if you are on a private trip and are late you could see a romantic picture of you cruise ship sailing into the setting sun (without you).

There are certain ports where it is very easy to get about on your own with public transport, i.e Singapore. There is a MTR station inside the cruise terminal.

Suggest you have a look at the ports section of CC and also try tripadvisor.com

Have a great cruise.

Ron

Archived