Capilano Suspension Bridge

cruiserjanet

We are planning on going to the Capilano Suspension Bridges in September. I know there is a free shuttle from Canada Place but we were thinking of taking the Seabus and a bus after that. Which is recommended? How long does it take to visit Capilano? Just curious how much time we should allow so we can do other things after.

It's kind of a pick'em but I would be more inclined to take the Seabus and then the bus...the trip across the harbour, Burrard Inlet, is really an excursion on it's own. Allow about 35/40 min each way and you will want a full 90 mins at the bridge...maybe even 2 hours.

We did Seabus / City bus. It's easy to do, and they will drop you off right at the entrance. The same bus continues on to Grouse Mtn. We were rather disappointed in GM; a number of attractions were closed at the top due to being late in the day, maintenance, and a wedding taking over several facilities. If they had warned of this at the ticket booth (as they do @ Disneyland for closed rides) that would have been fine. But, there was no notice and tickets aren't cheap! I sent an email commenting on this and not asking for anything in return; never received a response.

Capilano was great; since you're from So Cal it will be an amazing change of scenery. Be sure to do the skywalk that is up in the forest canopy.

If you are taking more than 4 one-way transit trips in a day, the transit passes may be a better deal. The automatic ticket machines will issue them, and they take credit/debit cards.

FYI, WestJet (Canadian low cost airline similar to Southwest) is starting flights from SNA to Vancouver and Calgary. They are advertising fares "as low as $99"...we all know how that works! But there may be some attractive fares, and it could start fare compeition up to Vancouver.

It's kind of a pick'em but I would be more inclined to take the Seabus and then the bus...the trip across the harbour, Burrard Inlet, is really an excursion on it's own. Allow about 35/40 min each way and you will want a full 90 mins at the bridge...maybe even 2 hours.

Thanks for the help. I think we will allow 4 hours for the whole thing. This will be our third time to Vancouver and not our last. For breakfast, we are deciding between Herons and Scoozis but leaning more toward Scoozis. What's your take? What about Aqua Riva for dinner?

I see from your Roll Call that we will be on the same ship but it looks like you are starting a day early in another port. We are boarding on September 19th in Vancouver.

Thanks for the help. I think we will allow 4 hours for the whole thing. This will be our third time to Vancouver and not our last. For breakfast, we are deciding between Herons and Scoozis but leaning more toward Scoozis. What's your take? What about Aqua Riva for dinner?

I see from your Roll Call that we will be on the same ship but it looks like you are starting a day early in another port. We are boarding on September 19th in Vancouver.

If you have any interest in shipbuilding, the area to the east of the Seabus terminal at the foot of Lonsdale is being rebuilt and has a great story to tell about the role of the shipyards, especially during the Second World War. North Vancouver is now a gentrified area, but even 40 years ago was quite blue collar, with many people working "at the yards."

viv

My choice for breakfast would be Scoozis but you may want to check their hours on the Sunday ... if that is when you are there. Between Aqua Riva and Joe Fortes...you can't go wrong.

Yes, we are doing the one nighter from Seattle as part of shameless dash to Elite (or free laundry) and that one will do it....some $45k later...then our next cruise in on Celebrity, go figure.

North Vancouver is now a gentrified area, but even 40 years ago was quite blue collar, with many people working "at the yards."

viv

Viv,

As an almost 60 year resident of North Vancouver may I suggest that your description of North Vancouver is a bit to broad. If you said the lower and central area of North Van was blue collar then I would have agreed but growing up in Upper Lonsdale our neighbours were doctors, lawyers, bank executives and similar professionals.

Viv,

As an almost 60 year resident of North Vancouver may I suggest that your description of North Vancouver is a bit to broad. If you said the lower and central area of North Van was blue collar then I would have agreed but growing up in Upper Lonsdale our neighbours were doctors, lawyers, bank executives and similar professionals.

You are correct. My knowledge only goes as far as W Kings. Nobody from my mom's family made it any farther up the hill than that.

Viv

You are correct. My knowledge only goes as far as W Kings. Nobody from my mom's family made it any farther up the hill than that.

Viv

Wow, as a kid I only made it by a few blocks....;) However the first home DW and I bought some 40 years ago was only on W. St, James , two blocks above Kings Rd. then we moved up into the Princess Park-Carrisbroke School area.

A FREE alternative to Capilano Suspension bridge is Lynn Canyon park. The bridge is higher ( and free) with a nice walk through the forest. Google it for bus info ( 229 from Lonsdale Quay, sea bus terminal). It doesn't have the glitz of Capilano suspension bridge but we like it much better. Did I mention the bridge is higher and it is free. There is a nice nature centre and a small coffee shop . Lynn Canyon park is #5 of things to do in Vancouver on trip advisor

Many many years ago, North Van was the poor cousin to West Van. It still ranks behind West Van ( as does just about every neighbourhood in Canada) but no longer can it be considered blue collar ( if it ever was). I grew up in West Van but I'm now more than content to live in North Van.

Archived