Half day ideas anyone?

dollydaydreams

We have the RIB adventure booked for our morning in Dominica which gets us back on land at 12.30pm.

We're looking for something else to do for the rest of the afternoon but don't want to venture too far away as we would like to be back in the port area with plenty of time to spare. (1st time cruisers & paranoid about the ship sailing into the sunset without us!)

Any sightseeing nearby? Beach? Shops? Nice bar/restaurant? Thanks. :)

There are some fun bars in Roseau within a block or two of the cruise pier. We visited one, and it looked like several hundred of our shipmates decided to spend their afternoon drinking cheap drinks.

A lot of craft stalls were set up near the pier, but the merchandise was a little repetitive. I don't think you could spend more than half an hour on them, unless you are a really compulsive shopper. There were a couple of higher-end jewelry and watch shops.

There was no shortage of taxi/van drivers at the pier offering sightseeing tours for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. They were still there in the afternoon. I would just make a deal with one of them for whatever time you feel comfortable with, and see what they can show you. Dominica is a beautiful island!

• 2 weeks later...
There are some fun bars in Roseau within a block or two of the cruise pier. We visited one, and it looked like several hundred of our shipmates decided to spend their afternoon drinking cheap drinks.

A lot of craft stalls were set up near the pier, but the merchandise was a little repetitive. I don't think you could spend more than half an hour on them, unless you are a really compulsive shopper. There were a couple of higher-end jewelry and watch shops.

There was no shortage of taxi/van drivers at the pier offering sightseeing tours for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. They were still there in the afternoon. I would just make a deal with one of them for whatever time you feel comfortable with, and see what they can show you. Dominica is a beautiful island!

Thanks CoralReef, that's very useful. It's good to know that we may be able to get a brief tour as the island does look very pretty so would like to see a little of it. Our RIB tour takes us to Soufriere and to Scottshead but I'd like to visit Trafalgar Falls if we have the time to. Do you know how long it takes to get there from Roseau? Thanks.:)

Thanks CoralReef, that's very useful. It's good to know that we may be able to get a brief tour as the island does look very pretty so would like to see a little of it. Our RIB tour takes us to Soufriere and to Scottshead but I'd like to visit Trafalgar Falls if we have the time to. Do you know how long it takes to get there from Roseau? Thanks.:)

Sorry, we didn't go there. I got the impression it was fairly close??

When we got off the RIB boat, there were taxi drivers offering us a 2 hour trip to Trafalgar Falls in the afternoon. I think they wanted 15 dollars each. By the way, expect to get absolutely drenched on the return part of the Rib boat trip if sitting at the back! And we did not go ashore at Scottshead at all despite the excursion description. I think the snorkelling went on too long and there was no time for it, but nothing was said.

We had actually booked 'Easy Dominica' for the afternoon, so saw something of the interior that way.

Screws Spa is a great place to spend an afternoon. Go to the website - We took a taxi from the pier for $20 plus $10 spa fee and soaked in the hot springs. The landscaping is beautiful there and the place is not crowded at all. It only takes about 15 minutes to get there. There are 5 mineral pools that range from hot to cold - very relaxing.

Archived