What constitutes buffet line-cutting?

Julitta

I see complaints about rude line-cutters a lot. What does line cutting mean to you? Reaching across to grab one thing? Or stepping in front for the remainder of the buffet?

I wait at the end personally, but on the Victory recently people were constantly reaching in because all they wanted was cereal. It didn't bother me as long as it wasn't the last one of something.

Last month on the Pride I was in the mexican buffet line. I grabbed my tray, silverware and bowl (for my wonton soup). I moved along the line and filled my plate...when I got to the end (the mexican section is only about 10 ft long)I realize I forgot to put the soup in my bowl..I turn around and walk back to the soup..about 5 people back in line and ask the gentleman if I can squeeze in front of him and grab some soup as I forgot to fill the bowl..he was kind enough to actually fill it for me. Afterward, heading back to my table, I thought..damn, I just cut in line like the people I talk about..lol.

Last month on the Pride I was in the mexican buffet line. I grabbed my tray, silverware and bowl (for my wonton soup). I moved along the line and filled my plate...when I got to the end (the mexican section is only about 10 ft long)I realize I forgot to put the soup in my bowl..I turn around and walk back to the soup..about 5 people back in line and ask the gentleman if I can squeeze in front of him and grab some soup as I forgot to fill the bowl..he was kind enough to actually fill it for me. Afterward, heading back to my table, I thought..damn, I just cut in line like the people I talk about..lol.

You're in line? You can always go back. I'd help you as well! :)

A few times we had to return to get spoons because they were out after we waiting in line for over a half hour. Hubby would just ask if he could grab one..most couldn't understand anyway.

We had NUMEROUS people literally cut in line, and just stand there like they had been there all along, very frustrating! This was mostly on the Lido deck or for the grand buffet...both of which we stayed away from after a few times.

I think there is a difference between someone who has already stood in line (and sadly it can be a lot longer than 2 minutes)..... and someone who just walks up and starts grabbing things.

IF someone has already stood in line and simply forgot something... IMHO that is not breaking in line.

Since Carnival makes "hide the butter" a new activity on every ship...I routinely have to go back and see where I missed it the first time...:o

But of course, I am always the pillar of apologetic please and thank yous when I do....

Edited by LHP

I personally don't see anything wrong with someone that's already in line going around someone if they don't want what that person is getting. Nothing any worse that standing behind someone who picks through the whole salad bowl for just the right leaves of lettuce. I don't consider that cutting. That's going around.

On the Fantasy back in Aug I was next in line at the grill out on the lido there must have been 50 people in line...this little lady walks up barely able to stand, she couldn't have been less than 97 and asks if I could just put a few fries on her plate...my husband grabbed her tray and filled it with food and walked her to a table...we figure if you're 90 something years old you can get in front of us anytime.

I definitely have no problem going around people. Especially at the grill. If they're waiting for a cheeseburger and all I want is some self-serve fries, then I take my tray and go right around them. Same as another poster at the Salad Bar. If I get behind someone who meticulously must sift through every topping and pick and choose certain pieces of lettuce, and all I want is some lettuce cheese and dressing, then I'm going around you!

And in all fairness, if roles are reversed, I always tell the person behind me to go on around me.

I definitely have no problem going around people. Especially at the grill. If they're waiting for a cheeseburger and all I want is some self-serve fries, then I take my tray and go right around them. Same as another poster at the Salad Bar. If I get behind someone who meticulously must sift through every topping and pick and choose certain pieces of lettuce, and all I want is some lettuce cheese and dressing, then I'm going around you!

And in all fairness, if roles are reversed, I always tell the person behind me to go on around me.

How can anyone argue with that? :confused:

There is a difference between quickly inserting yourself in line to grab one singular item and inserting yourself in line at various points to grab stuff.

And no, I'm not getting at the back of the line for just one item while people move from station to station, ponder the nutrional value of the food, and narrate their choices to the person next to them.

What's ruder? Jumping in line for one item, or holding up the entire line while you and Aunt Bertha debate the fiber content of french fries?

Life is too short to worry about silly things. Those who will cut in line don’t care if you get upset and those who care don’t cut. The only people you are affecting by getting upset are you and your group. I say have fun and don’t worry about the small stuff.

Life is too short to worry about silly things. Those who will cut in line don’t care if you get upset and those who care don’t cut. The only people you are affecting by getting upset are you and your group. I say have fun and don’t worry about the small stuff.

very well said!

I know I should be better than this, but line cutting and line jumping really bothers me. I get especially galled when people cut in lines for generous helpings of seconds. Generally this happens in the buffet lines (although I've seen it happen in just about any line). Since this bothers me, since my very first cruises, I've completely avoided the buffets. I do breakfast either from room service or in the MDR. There are plenty of specialty places for other meals where cutting seems less prevalent.

I guess I don't view it as line jumping as much as I just figure someone forgot an item or as another poster stated, condomints are placed at very odd places on the buffet line. As long as someone says excuse my, I could care less.

Once during a very busy breakfast time at the buffet, a lady with a small child asked me very politely if she could just reach in and grab a pancake or two for her child. This poor lady was juggling a tray and a 2 yr old. I couldn't imagine anyone turning her away. We did not encounter anyone who just jumped in line just for the sake of not wanting to wait.

As far as the grille area, yes folks would jump in to get the fries and chicken fingers while others waited for their grill orders. I did not view this as rude. It did not hold up the line and the staff was always replacing the trays with fresh side items.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

This is the main reason I like the salad bar be separate from the rest of the buffet.

Some people spend WAY too much time making a salad and making sure

the lettuce is laying just right and the cucumber slices and tomatoes are situated just right.

It is like they are making a salad presentation for a photo shoot, while in front of them is a 15 foot gap

in the line.

I will get in the passing lane.

Yep... gotta agree with Pete. There's no need for anyone to reach past someone standing in line. The food will still be there in two minutes...

Yes and no really. Yes I agree if the buffet is very packed. You should wait in line. But I've seen times where there are large gaps in the line (maybe its not peak time) and I don't think there's anything wrong in sliding in and grabbing a piece of toast or something, provided there aren't people lined up there. Use common sense I guess is what I'm saying.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

OKAY, here is a scenario that I came across on the conquest last may and it all stems from the omlet station.

There is always a line for people to have an omlet made, but just past the omlets is the "other food" etc. I politely say excuse me to grab a tray/plate etc, then walk in front of the people waiting for an omlet and grab other food in front of the omlet station. Now, people who have just gotten there omlet are in this "line" area grabbing other food, did I line jump/cut? Should I have to wait in the line for omlets which is technically the line for that "area" of food?

While on the Dream in Nov. I was in line (I don't remember what the area is called but its where you put your stuff in a bowl and they will make it for you, like a hibachi grille type but it was for asian noodles).

It's a Korean tradition to eat noodles on your bday so despite the long line (I waited in total of 25 mins and it was probably longer than usual because it was around the time everyone was getting back from their excursion) I waited in line to get my daughter her bowl of noodles since it was her bday. It was the closest thing to asian noodles I could get for her:D

As I was nearing the vegetable section, this elderly lady stood off to the side in between me and the gentleman in front of me and loudly kept saying how she wasn't going to get a lot in her bowl. She kept repeating herself quite loudly.

I normally wouldn't let it bother me so much but at that time:

1. I was already in line for 19 mins or so at that time

2. If she would have just asked me to cut instead of being passive aggressive and loudly saying she wouldn't take up a lot of time.

Not to look insensitive but I ignored her. The gentleman in front of me let her cut in front of him and then she loudly kept saying how I didn't look too pleased about him letting her cut in front of her as if I couldn't hear her. Then she said something about maybe I couldn't understand her (maybe she thought I didn't speak english??)

Sorry if I seemed to get slightly off topic but this really bothered me for some reason. If you want to cut, just ask if you can. I probably would've let her if she just asked me as I probably couldn't comfortably said "no" to her face. But she looked at me surprised when I spoke perfect english to the chef making the noodles.

Please don't flame me for this post, it wasn't the first time someone has made this assumption about me while cruising.

I think if you're waiting for something to be specially made (like omelets, or at the grill), then it's perfectly appropriate for the person behind you to move around you to the next thing on the buffet (and it would be polite for you to say something like, "Oh, please, just move around me! I'm waiting for (item)!"

And if you truly are just needing to grab something -- a fork, napkin, butter pat -- then, after asking, "Oh, I'm sorry, I just need to grab a (item)...do you mind?" -- then grabbing it and moving quickly out of the way...is acceptable.

What I consider "line jumping" is moving ahead of someone just because you think they're taking too long, or because you might not want that particuler item but really lust after the next thing, or see that there is just one left of the next thing and you realy want it and don't want to wait for it to be refilled...

or what I really really hate is reaching over someone to grab the next thing. I'm short -- in a wheelchair -- and admittedly a bit clumsy and slower than the average glutton, but I really hate having stuff dropped on my head from overhead serving spoons....