Non-cruise snorkle/party excursion in PV

pschimke

We just got back took the Shamballa in PV. Shamballa is a catamaran, but the front area has a solid covering. It is a party boat. Once the snorkeling is done there is a lot of drinking, so if you don't like this kind of thing, do something else. We booked through puertovallarta dot net. The trip was great, be aware that PV time is not the same as ship time (at least if you are on Vision of the Seas). The time difference was not made clear to us onboard. Good thing we rushed, we almost missed the boat. We got off at 8:45 (we thought) for a 9:15 trip. We found the Shamballa at 9 am (we thought). Well it's really 10 am in PV and that is when the boat actually leaves. Now I know why the brochure says Shamballa leave at 9:15, it's so you don't miss the trip. You need to go through the terminal area, around the circular building, along the street (head left) to gate 10 (I think). Just ask at the first numbered gate and the guard will verify the gate number. When you get there, head right to the covered building where there are many desks. At the Shamballa desk, hand in your confirmation and get your tickets. After boarding you get a fruit breakfast and you motor to Los Arcos to snorkle. I thought the snorkling was OK, saw around 8 different types of fish. They demand you take a lifejacket with you. We just held onto them as you couldn't dive with the lifejacket on. After about 40 minutes we got back on the Shamballa and motored to Quixmoto. Once the snorkeling is over there was lots of drinking and music whenever you are aboard the Shamballa. At Quixmoto you hang out at the rbeach estaurant and can hike/horse back ride to the waterfalls. The ride is $10. The hike takes about 40 minutes. Next time I will ride, the walk was straight uphill, and it was dusty. At the waterfall hang out at the rocks before the Cascade restaurant if you don't want to pay for a drink. Beer was $3. Needed to buy something to get a table. The waterfall and pools were refreshing. You can easily get up to the waterfall from the rocks before the restaurant. Once you return to the beach you get the food you preordered on Shamballa. Choice was fish or chicken. We had both and all were happy. Drinks are not included at the restaurant. After lunch break (about 3 hours I think) its back on board to Mismaloya beach for more swimming. There was some dancing/drinking activities after the beach. Fun if you wanted to get involved, and OK if you didn't. We got back to PV around 5 (PV time). We had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend this excursion.

I did this a number of years ago and had a great time, except for the horse ride up to the falls. If all you want is to not walk this is fine, but the horses were in poor shape and it was the ultmate nose-to-tail ride.

Archived