Arubalisa Best snorkel site advice

niceneasy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1313388

We went to Arashi on the bus last Tuesday. If you read the above thread, Arubalisa has a picture of where we entered the water, basically it was a sandy area at Arashi, then we snorkeled down to where there were some snorkel excursions moored. This is a rocky area south of where you entered the beach, and then exited the water back where we started. Unless you are a very strong swimmer, I STRONGLY suggest fins. It was a little tiring the second time we swam back, later in the afternoon.

The bus was 2.30 round trip. They give you a little ticket for your return trip. There was a truck at the beach on the day we were there selling snow cones nothing else at the beach.Some shade, but we were too late to snag a shady spot. It was a Holiday,so I don't know if the truck is usually there, Ithink not.

LOL, all spots point to snorkeling :D

I copied this from a previous post.

Boca Catalina

boca_catalinaa_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

The snorkeling is a bit better at Catalina Cove, though it is rocky and a difficult entry

catalina_covea_sm.jpg click on thumbnail to enlarge

We are going to try the Arashi approach on our next trip as topspot did. I think it will be less further to swim than Boca Catalina, as well as a much easier entry than Catalina Cove. Always test the currents before you go swimming off very far.

This aerial shot http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.6074851&lon=-70.0526583&z=17&l=0&m=b shows Arashi top screen, Catalina Cove middle (unlabeled unless you zoom further) and Boca Catalina lower screen

I have further information and photos of this area here

There are no facilities at any of the above, with minimal shade from trees or palapas at Boca Catalina and Arashi. Boca Catalina and Arashi will be busy this time of year with vacationers staying in private homes or apartments, even more so on weekends when locals are off from work. So if possible, for the best spot, get there early.

Thanks Topspot & Arubalisa for the info. I still have not decided between Boca Catalina and Arashi. I am a fairly strong swimmer and my wife is fair. The ease of entry is important to her as well as the length of the swim to the snorkel area. With that in mind which would be the better choice?

Thanks for all of the time and input that you have afforded me and the CC members. With the posts that I have read and the advice that you and others have given, I think that we will choose the easy entry that BC seems to have.

Thanks for your kind words.

When you enter at BC start gliding north. It will start out as sandy bottom and the further north, the more you will see. Do check the current though, we have always found the current stronger swimming back south so allow your self the energy to get back.

Or, worse comes to worse, you can plug through the rocky exit at Catalina Cove and walk the street back.

• Do they rent chairs and umbrellas at Boca Catalina or Arashi?

• I know not to leave valuables unattended but is one area safer than the other?

• Is there a place, maybe lockers, to store valuables when snorkeling?

We just got back, so I'll tell you what I did: we use those plastic money "safes" to keep our id, credit card and cash. DH has a zippered pocket in his swim trunks for his. I put mine on a lanyard and loop it through my bathing suit top or bottoms and then put it inside the suit. The only other "valuable" is my camera, but it's an underwater camera so it goes with me into the water. We try to hang our bag and clothes in the palapas to keep bugs away. We have always felt super safe.

Thanks Topspot & Arubalisa for the info. I still have not decided between Boca Catalina and Arashi. I am a fairly strong swimmer and my wife is fair. The ease of entry is important to her as well as the length of the swim to the snorkel area. With that in mind which would be the better choice?

I haven't been to Arashi but we've been to Boca Catalina twice. Swimming has been very easy. As you stand on the beach, look out to the water on your right - you'll see a dark area. That's the best snorkeling. Now when you want to come back in it's a little harder to find a way in with no rocks. We just aimed for the low wall dividing the public beach from the house next door. That seemed to be the clearest, easiest way back in.

2348699510104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

2188456340104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

This photo is taken right at the wall diving public and private. You can see the snorkel area at the top left. Water clarity wasn't the best when we were there but I got some of my clearest pictures. Go figure!

• 4 weeks later...

We did a spot of snorkelling at Baby Beach...it appeared to be quite a popular beach and there is a lagoon area where the water is shallow for swimming, but in the middle of the water is a channel between the rocks and the snorkelling was pretty good there.

Just thought I would throw in another option, in case it appealed.

We did a spot of snorkelling at Baby Beach...it appeared to be quite a popular beach and there is a lagoon area where the water is shallow for swimming, but in the middle of the water is a channel between the rocks and the snorkelling was pretty good there.

Just thought I would throw in another option, in case it appealed.

Great spot to snorkel, but use extreme caution and do not venture too far out. Tourists have drown here on too many occasion, most recently in February of this year. :(

I have to be honest here :o, that is why I do not recommend it. For some people it just seems too tempting to venture out into the channel opening.

These photos were taken a few years ago, but it gives you an idea of the opening. There are at times, depending upon storms, where there are other opening in the break, but this is the largest and most prominent. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.4130806&lon=-69.8808521&z=18&l=0&m=b

Baby-Beach-13_thumb.jpgBaby-Beach-14_thumb.jpg

Great place to go and spend the day with little ones due to the calm waters.

Archived