Belize in January - chance of cancellation?

psbfan01

I am hoping to go to Belize next January on Princess. For those of you with some experience, what chance is there of that port being cancelled due to bad weather (because tendering is not possible)? Has this ever happened to you?

I also just now read about some tendering issues and Carnival Cruises ... I just wonder if that would affect Princess too... or maybe there will be some resolution by then.

Thanks

January in Belize isn't typically the time for inclimate weather. July through October are the worst times. And even then it's a toss up until your cruise has sailed. If your ship misses a port, ship excursions get refunded and most private vendors will refund the deposit. Believe me they know when a ship (or ships) is (are) missing a port.

I beleive the Carnival Dream was in Belize last week. Not sure which tenders were used, but most likely this issue will be resolved in short order as it has dire economic impact on the local tourist industry.

I was just in Grand Cayman this January, and had no issue with the weather....

Also: The issues Carnival is having with the tenders in Belize isn't weather related, they're having pricing issues with the tender operators. So I'm not really sure about the probability of weather issues in January as we didn't get to dock there on my cruise for different reasons.... :(

I am hoping to go to Belize next January on Princess. For those of you with some experience, what chance is there of that port being cancelled due to bad weather (because tendering is not possible)? Has this ever happened to you?

I also just now read about some tendering issues and Carnival Cruises ... I just wonder if that would affect Princess too... or maybe there will be some resolution by then.

Thanks

I have been doing a lot of reading on the tender problem. My understanding is that at this time it only a carnival problem. I doubt if Royal Caribbean will get involved since I believe they own the Tourist Village.

Belize is one of our favorite places, we were really thinking of staying for a week. we just went in Oct. inbetween 2 hurricanes . we lucked out and had beautiful weather. we went snorkeling in caye caulker and we have done the ruins a couple of times. we have been there twice in january and nevedr had a tendering problem.

After reading this article below.... I don't think Belize really cares if us "tourists" go there or not.

http://westernbelizehappenings.blogspot.com/2011/01/cruise-tourism-gossip-in-belize-well.html

You must have read the article different that I did. He only made one statement about the cruise industry not helping the local economy. But he offered alternatives, even talking about building a different port to handle a growing segment of their tourism. Besides that, this one persons blog and opinion.

Archived