Car rental vs shuttle FLL to POM

cbass71

I have read several posts regarding renting a car vs using SAS shuttle to get from Fort Lauderdale to POM, but was wondering about suggestions for my situation. We're arriving in FLL on Friday at 1:30 pm before our Saturday cruise out of Miami. We're staying at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport, which I'm understanding has nothing around near by. As we have a bit of time in FL on Friday, we would like to do some sightseeing, shopping, go out for dinner. My two options are either to rent a car at FLL to use on Friday to get around and drive it to Miami on Saturday, but then I believe there is a parking fee at this hotel, as well as having to get to the POM from where we drop the car off. Or should we just use a shuttle service such as SAS and take a cab to where ever we want to go in FL, thinking to the Water Taxi and use that to sightsee, etc. Would this cost a lot to do this? Any other suggestions?

Also, on the day of debarkation, our flight leaves FLL at 2:30 pm; does this leave us any time to do any kind of tour? I checked with Carnival and the South Beach Tour-FLL Airport transport recommends this for flights leaving out of FLL after 4:00 pm. Is there any other option?

Post cruise tours tend to get you to the airport about 1:00 PM or so - cutting it too close for me if I'm trying to make a 2:30 flight. :eek:

Not sure about your hotel charging for parking - thought that was mostly for the hotels closer to the beach in the FLL area? :confused: If you want to go away from your hotel for shopping, dining and sightseeing then I'd rent the car as even cheap cab fares will eventually cost more than a cheap rental car, and you can save the SAS shuttle fee of $15 per person. :cool:

Both Hertz and Avis have downtown Miami locations close to POM ($10 cab ride if they will not shuttle you) or Alamo has a POM shuttle from the new MIA rental car facility. Good luck! :)

Thanks JohninDC! Do you know how much a cab would be to get from Hilton FL Airport to the closest location to get to the water taxi? Which would be the closest stop to get on the water taxi?

The hotel's website says $14 for self-parking. Alamo doesn't have anything available on my date.

Should be about the same as going from FLL to Port Everglades, $15 or so.

If you get a good car rental deal from someone besides Alamo, Hertz and Avis you can still drop at MIA and then cab to POM for only $24+tip. Good luck! :)

We just got back last night from a pre-cruise stay in the Hollywood area, and cruise on Majesty of the Seas. We flew into Miami and flew out of Fort Lauderdale. Hertz ended up being soooo convenient! We picked up our car at MIA to have for our pre-cruise stay and dropped it off at the downtown location on 1st St. Drop off and free shuttle (<10 min to port) were quick and easy! When the shuttle driver dropped us off at the port he showed us exactly where to pick up the shuttle if we were renting a car post cruise. We were, and that was simple as well. We had some AAA coupon offers, so the price was very reasonable, and no one-way drop off fees. Highly recommend Hertz and the downtown location!

I have read several posts regarding renting a car vs using SAS shuttle to get from Fort Lauderdale to POM, but was wondering about suggestions for my situation. We're arriving in FLL on Friday at 1:30 pm before our Saturday cruise out of Miami. We're staying at Hilton Fort Lauderdale Airport, which I'm understanding has nothing around near by. As we have a bit of time in FL on Friday, we would like to do some sightseeing, shopping, go out for dinner. My two options are either to rent a car at FLL to use on Friday to get around and drive it to Miami on Saturday, but then I believe there is a parking fee at this hotel, as well as having to get to the POM from where we drop the car off. Or should we just use a shuttle service such as SAS and take a cab to where ever we want to go in FL, thinking to the Water Taxi and use that to sightsee, etc. Would this cost a lot to do this? Any other suggestions?

Also, on the day of debarkation, our flight leaves FLL at 2:30 pm; does this leave us any time to do any kind of tour? I checked with Carnival and the South Beach Tour-FLL Airport transport recommends this for flights leaving out of FLL after 4:00 pm. Is there any other option?

I would advise you to do what I always do, rent from Alamo, drop at MIA and take their free shuttle to the POM. I picked up a midsize car last Sunday and dropped on Monday for $27 inclusive of all taxes. I did the reverse on Friday and I will drop the car at FLL on Tuesday. Four days is costing me $109 total.

I would advise you to do what I always do, rent from Alamo, drop at MIA and take their free shuttle to the POM. I picked up a midsize car last Sunday and dropped on Monday for $27 inclusive of all taxes. I did the reverse on Friday and I will drop the car at FLL on Tuesday. Four days is costing me $109 total.

Is the $27 fee a promo rate? Can anyone use it?

Edit: Thanks for your reply on another thread

Archived