Cayo Levantado Excursion Question

TWG_ag

Regent has a Cave and Mangrove Exploration tour at Cayo Levantado. Does anyone know what kind and size of boat they use. The description is vague and I hoping some one has already done this trip this winter. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Will post on the port board, but that venue doesn't get much traffic.

TW

Regent has a Cave and Mangrove Exploration tour at Cayo Levantado. Does anyone know what kind and size of boat they use. The description is vague and I hoping some one has already done this trip this winter. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Will post on the port board, but that venue doesn't get much traffic.

TW

We took this excursion in March last year and it was "interesting." The sea was quite rough so for those who were not as fit it was difficult to get onto the boat which came up to the side of the ship. It was a flat bottomed speed boat that held about 30 people. The outward journey to the mangrove swamp was bumpy and, depending on where you sat, a little wet from the spray. It was about a forty minute trip. The boat was ideal for getting in the mangrove swamps and to the entrances of the caves which were very interesting in the true meaning of the word.

The problem for us was the journey back. The wind had picked up and there were whitecaps. Our guide who also drove the boat took no prisoners and seemed in a hurry to get back as he went much faster than on the way there. We were hitting the waves head on and the boat was dropping at times from the crest of a four feet wave in what can only be described as an alarming way. No one was wearing life jackets although some were visible at the sides of the seats, but who knew if there were enough. With a flat bottomed boat, I could see it flipping very easily. I couldn't make up my mind whether it was best to just shut my eyes and hope for the best, or watch to see when we hit a particularly big wave.

I have never been so glad to get off a boat. On the way back they docked at the quay on Cayo Levantado right by the ship's tender.

Thanks for the description. I have actually waved off an excursion in the past due to weather conditions. In even moderate seas a small boat can take a big beating. We have taken things like the Jet Boats, the America's Cup and other windward type sailing trips and actually enjoy the rides. However if the waves don't make sense on the day of the trip, you just say no. There is a fine line between thrill and scared and it sounds like you guys were straddling it.

It was one of those trips where the outward journey was fine, but when the winds changed . . . If it had been like that when we set off I would have had no hesitation in cancelling on the spot.

The caves and mangroves were interesting, so if the weather is good, I would go for it.

Archived