car seats in Florida

ruff

Hi

Our family will be arriving at the Tampa airport. We will need transportation to the port. We have 13 in our group, 6 adults, 5 six year olds. (triplets included) and 3 three year olds (twins in this group). What are our best options. Will we need car seats or booster seats for the children? Do most transportation services supply seats if needed?

If you travel on a bus does that eliminate the need for any extra car seats?

Thanks for your help.

Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat.

Infants must ride rear-facing until they are at least one year old and weigh 20 pounds or more. Rear-facing, the infant should be semi-upright at an angle or no more than 45 degrees. A forward-facing older child should ride sitting upright.

Never place a child in a child safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle equipped with a passenger air bag. Always use the back seat.

Violation of the child restraint law carries a fine of $60 and 3 points on the driving record.

http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm

Hi!

You are not required to have car seats on a bus since there are usually no seat belts to secure the child seats.

Some transportation services provide car seats upon request prior to pick-up, but most do not. I don't think you need car seats for a shuttle bus.

In Setember we took a "party" bus for the 11 of us (two needed car seats) from FLL to the port of MIA.

I checked several limo places and nobody provided car seats. Legally we did not need them in a 20 pax bus, but I was never real comfortable with it.

We did not have a car seat from the flight since the youngest went as a lap baby and the older one we used those FAA approved seat straps.

I would make calls and/or emails to see who will provide them if any.

Here's a link on transportation services from TPA to the port: http://www.tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/index.asp#

As stated above, in a cab or rental car you are required by law to have car seats - 7 of them if I read your post correctly. :eek: Unless you were planning to carry 7 car seats on the plane I would take a look at shuttle services or cruise transfers. Good luck! :)

Archived