Gem Owner's Suite Deck 9 or 10?

craig-n-carol

I am booking an owners suite for the Gem June 2012 NYC - Bahamas and Florida and would like to know if there is a major difference in which deck to choose. After diligent searching all I could find is a post that said at night you have to close your curtains or turn out the lights on deck 10 because it interferes with navigation. Is this true? If so does this exist for deck 9 as well? Am I making a mistake with an owner's suite and should I look at the deluxe owner's suite on deck 15 instead? It is only $400 more.

I am booking an owners suite for the Gem June 2012 NYC - Bahamas and Florida and would like to know if there is a major difference in which deck to choose. After diligent searching all I could find is a post that said at night you have to close your curtains or turn out the lights on deck 10 because it interferes with navigation. Is this true? If so does this exist for deck 9 as well? Am I making a mistake with an owner's suite and should I look at the deluxe owner's suite on deck 15 instead? It is only $400 more.

The DOS is awesome and close to Cagneys and the Courtyard! I highly recommend it!

For only $400 more, I'd take the Deluxe Owner's Suite hands down! More space, in the Courtyard, near Cagney's, hot tub, huge deck... I'm sure there's more. The only downside is that it's one larger room, instead of broken in separate rooms like the Owner's Suites are.

I cannot offer an opinion regarding OS vs. DOS, but I can share that we thought the OS on deck 9 (9504, I think) was great on the Jewel. We enjoy the large front balcony (even at sea and at night, but I realize some do not like it). The no-light-onto-the-front-balcony rule applies to both decks 9 and 10, but in two times sailing up front, we did not find this to be problematic. And, with the OS there is always the side balcony. We liked having separate spaces in the room, in part because we tend to wake up at different times. Although Cagney's and the courtyard were a bit of a walk, we did not mind it.

This all said, we would possibly try the DOS on a future cruise (for the next cruise we have booked, I think the DOS was slightly less than the OS).

I also can't comment on the DOS, as I was in an OS on the Jewel on Deck 9. The "close the curtains after dark" rule applies to both decks 9 and 10, as the bedroom lights are blinding to the navigator on the bridge. We got a friendly visit from the bridge when we forgot early on in the cruise :o. One difference you might consider between the decks is how much of your forward balcony is visible to the bridge: deck 10 is fully visible; deck 9 only the very forward edge. (We took a bridge tour with our Roll Call group and saw that for ourselves.) I LOVED the OS, esp for the reason Anthony&David mentions...having the separate room when one of us woke up early.

I also can't comment on the DOS, as I was in an OS on the Jewel on Deck 9. The "close the curtains after dark" rule applies to both decks 9 and 10, as the bedroom lights are blinding to the navigator on the bridge. We got a friendly visit from the bridge when we forgot early on in the cruise :o. One difference you might consider between the decks is how much of your forward balcony is visible to the bridge: deck 10 is fully visible; deck 9 only the very forward edge. (We took a bridge tour with our Roll Call group and saw that for ourselves.) I LOVED the OS, esp for the reason Anthony&David mentions...having the separate room when one of us woke up early.

Wow, just the idea that we can't have the bedroom lights on at night is enough to do the DOS. What a crappy design flaw! Being an engineer I find that to be unacceptable. This could be dealt with in so many ways other that putting the burden on the passenger.

Not too concerned about the same room thing. And the hot tub plus the Courtyard makes it worth it to me. Goin' for the DOS!!! :D

Wow, just the idea that we can't have the bedroom lights on at night is enough to do the DOS. What a crappy design flaw! Being an engineer I find that to be unacceptable. This could be dealt with in so many ways other that putting the burden on the passenger.

Not too concerned about the same room thing. And the hot tub plus the Courtyard makes it worth it to me. Goin' for the DOS!!! :D

You can have the lights on of course! But you will have to keep your curtains drawn at night (you can't see out the dark windows at night anyway if the lights inside are on). Not inconvenient at all, the steward takes care of closing the curtains at dark.

Robin

nononono - sorry you misunderstood me :o Of course you can have the bedroom lights on -- you just have to close the curtains that lead to the front balcony. After dark there's nothing to see out there anyway while at sea. If we were in the cabin at dusk, we'd simply pull them closed; otherwise the steward would take care of it.

You do have access to the Courtyard and all its features with an OS, and also the reserved seating area in the theater. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with either the OS or the DOS -- what's not to love? :D

nononono - sorry you misunderstood me :o Of course you can have the bedroom lights on -- you just have to close the curtains that lead to the front balcony. After dark there's nothing to see out there anyway while at sea. If we were in the cabin at dusk, we'd simply pull them closed; otherwise the steward would take care of it.

You do have access to the Courtyard and all its features with an OS, and also the reserved seating area in the theater. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with either the OS or the DOS -- what's not to love? :D

OK, understood. I thought this was a bit strange the way I was seeing it. Thanks for clarifying. I would imagine I wouldn't spend a terrible amount of time on the front balcony anyway, at least at sea. And now that I know there is Courtyard access with the OS or DOS, maybe we'll just stay right where we are at. After looking at the floor plans, I also think I like the OS layout much better. I also understand that a flight of stairs is the only way to the 15th Deck, and with my bad back, I'm not sure I would enjoy that so much.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! :)

After looking at the floor plans, I also think I like the OS layout much better. I also understand that a flight of stairs is the only way to the 15th Deck, and with my bad back, I'm not sure I would enjoy that so much.

We were in a Jewel OS, not on the Gem for that, but since they're sister ships.....wanted to mention that access to the Courtyard is not only available by stairs. The elevator outside Cagney's also goes to the Courtyard (deck 14), altho to get to the private sundeck above the Courtyard, you may have to walk a flight of stairs. I didn't notice if there was an elevator. Somebody will chime in with that answer, I hope. (There are many passengers using wheelchairs, walkers, and pushing strollers, so I'd be surprised if anything is stairs-only.)

I will throw in my two cents here also.

We love the OS deck 10. The difference between deck 9 and deck 10 OS on the Jewel class ships is a slight difference in the configuration. Deck 10 has a living room with a bumped out space for the dining table, where deck 9 has a straight wall that holds the coffee maker, refrigerator, etc. The dining table in deck 9 OS is in the living area. Also the deck 10 master bath has a large porthole where the deck 9 does not. The final difference I have been told is that the deck 10 living area is larger and the front balcony is a bit smaller than that on deck 9.

Personally, we prefer the OS to the DOS because of the extra cabin space and greater separation between the bed and living room area. Also, you have to climb the stairs to get from deck 14 courtyard area to get to the DOS. However, with the DOS you are midships and right at the courtyard, near Cagney's, etc.

We love the OS deck 10. The difference between deck 9 and deck 10 OS on the Jewel class ships is a slight difference in the configuration. Deck 10 has a living room with a bumped out space for the dining table, where deck 9 has a straight wall that holds the coffee maker, refrigerator, etc. The dining table in deck 9 OS is in the living area. Also the deck 10 master bath has a large porthole where the deck 9 does not. The final difference I have been told is that the deck 10 living area is larger and the front balcony is a bit smaller than that on deck 9.

Personally, we prefer the OS to the DOS because of the extra cabin space and greater separation between the bed and living room area. Also, you have to climb the stairs to get from deck 14 courtyard area to get to the DOS. However, with the DOS you are midships and right at the courtyard, near Cagney's, etc.

The deck 9 master bath on Jewel has a window over the bathtub that overlooks the side balcony.

Thanks for clarifying about the DOS being a flight up on Gem. Since I haven't been in anything higher than a BA on Gem, I didn't know that.

Thanks marelind. That's what I thought about deck 15 and the stairs, that being said, I am going with the OS on Deck 10. No issues walking a little extra distance on flat ground, just up stairs (been in 2 near fatal car accidents and my back is not happy). I also was able to view the virtual tour on the NCL website and realized that the light issue at night is no big deal at all.

We stayed in the OS on the Gem on Deck 9. It was amazing!! You have to close the doors and curtains to the front balcony at night, but there is nothing to see out there. Plus, there's always the other balcony you get with that suite that is on the side of the ship. It blocks the wind better and is the place to be after dark if you like to go outside then. I would recommend the Gem OS to anyone! Have fun on your trip.

see some pics of the OS here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2016585&id=1573036362

The deck 9 master bath on Jewel has a window over the bathtub that overlooks the side balcony.

Thanks for clarifying about the DOS being a flight up on Gem. Since I haven't been in anything higher than a BA on Gem, I didn't know that.

Deck 10 master bath also has the window over the bathtub that overlooks the side balcony and a porthole window between the sink and tub that looks out directly to the ocean.

I have stayed in both DOS & OS and both are great. The way I think is you have to do a DOS once. Something special about being that high up. As for the OS, it's the cabin I stay in everytime. As everyone else said the OS "room" space is larger than that of the DOS. But the DOS has a huge outside and your own hot tub. You will have a great time in either room. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

When booking,I chose the Owner's Suite. I had studied the suite's layouts carefully,and think that the owners suite with a seperate bedroom and livingroom is far better than the other one, which looks like one big room...also I think 2 balconies seem nice,,going in 2 weeks and looking forward to sailing by the Statue Of Liberty from my forward balcony (deck 10 right side).Hope it is not tooo cold on March 19th.

When booking,I chose the Owner's Suite. I had studied the suite's layouts carefully,and think that the owners suite with a seperate bedroom and livingroom is far better than the other one, which looks like one big room...also I think 2 balconies seem nice,,going in 2 weeks and looking forward to sailing by the Statue Of Liberty from my forward balcony (deck 10 right side).Hope it is not tooo cold on March 19th.

This is exactly why we booked the OS too. Can't wait to see Lady Liberty as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived