What is best Excursion in Ohio Rios?

Crusingmomma

Hi, I am traveling with my husband and another couple and we are in our mid 50's and physically fit!

Can anyone tell me about their experience at Mystic Mountain, Dunn River Falls or any others that you can recommend?

Thanks! Cruising aboard the Carnival Freedom on Feb 20th

The poster is from Michigan and Ohio (and the OSU Buckeyes) is always in their minds!!! As the other posted said Dunn's River is a lot of fun. Although I book excursions on my own, this one I would do with Carnival. Have fund Lydia

I personally didn't think the Falls were that big of a deal. A friend of ours just got back and seriously hurt himself (twisted his knee and totally screwed up the rest of his vacation) while climbing the Falls, quite easy to do considering how slippery the rocks are and how many places there are to put your foot in and twist something...and that isn't the first time I've heard of that happening. If I ever go back again, which isn't high on my "To Do" list, I'd probably high tail it to an all-inclusive and avoid everything outside of the resort and the gated "Island Village" area near the port at all costs.

My DD (16) and I did Dunns River Falls last year and had a great time. But..... it is strenuous to say the least. If you go, make sure you have good water shoes or tennis shoes. No Crocs, etc. We are fairly fit also but still needed help....the person in front helps the next and so on.... After we finished the falls, we had lunch at a local place then proceeded to the White River for tubing. This was very nice and relaxing with great scenery. We arranged all this with a local tour operator (Phil Lafayette) who did a fabulous job. Basically put himself at our service for the day. The Ports of Call Board for Ocho Rios has other suggestions for tour operators as well.

We enjoyed Ocho Rios.

I really enjoyed Dunns River Falls, but it was scary/slippery. I remember thinking this would NEVER be allowed in the US b/c of liability issues. Still, it was fun-mostly I think b/c of the camaraderie of the group. Your safety is pretty much tied to the people on each side of you holding you hands. I'd try it, if you are up for an adventure.

But it doesn't take very long, so we also went kayaking which was nice. Calm and peaceful, but we got pretty hot in the kayaks. The beach break at the end was a relief!

I loved Jamaica b/c we had been to all these little sand-spit bahamian type islands, and suddenly we arrive at this rugged jungle covered place. It was so beautiful! Enjoy your trip :)

I went to ocho rios about 10 years ago. My mom and I did the horseback riding excursion. It was so relaxing and beautiful scenery and I remember it being one if my favorite things we did on a trip. We even ee taken into the ocean where the horses ran with us. That was a lil scary as all the horse are together and running and with the ocean pushing u the other way.... But it was so much fun! We are going back in oct and doing the dolphin swim. I can't wait!

We enjoyed Dunns River Falls as well, but if you do that, this is one excursion I would definitely book through Carnival. We did a private excursion and by the time we finally got back to the pier after the excursion, I about got arrested and thrown in jail. You can find my detailed explanation on this through my name. Personally, if we ever do cruise to Ocho Rios again, which we don't plan on doing, but if we do, I seriously doubt we'll even get off the ship. That's just my experience. I'm sure others here have had a great time in Ocho Rios. Take the good with the bad and decide on your own.

I've been to Ocho Rios twice now, traveling by (Carnival excursion) bus ride from Montego Bay. We loved Mystic Mountain, with the Sky Explorer ride up to the top of this mountain (a slow smooth ride, that goes up and up and up to the top). We also zip lined here (great fun) and rode the bob sled (bob sled not that big of a deal, but a fun memory to be sure). The view at the top of the mountain is really breath taking. I'd like to get in the "infinity" pool some time!

I visited Dunn's Falls with my mom this past October, but we didn't feel like being strenuous, so we just watched and took pictures, without climbing and getting wet as that seemed too much trouble for us, but watching from the side wasn't that much fun. We should have skipped the falls and chosen something else, but there weren't many choices for us.

The horseback swim sounds fun, definitely dolphins too, or a nice beach... next time for us, hopefully!....

My wife and I returned from the Carnival Freedom last week. When in Ocho Rios we took the rafting on the Martha Brae River excursion purchased from the ship. This was a very relaxing trip and we enjoyed it very much. The bus ride from the ship to the river is approximately one hour. The secenery along the way was nice and our tour guide was very knowledgeable. I would recommend this trip for anyone who wants a very relaxing way to enjoy the day.

Last time we were there I hired a Taxi for the day ,I think it was $20 pp there was 4 of us.

he took us on and island tour and a very nice beach and took us for lunch in a fishing village. What a great day

When you get off the ship just ask one of the taxi drivers about a taxi for the day and negotiate a price

Some say its not safe but if you use common sense you will be fine

I've done DRF thru CCL and also thru an independent, and I preferred Island Marketing. You can usually see a few people with crutches or canes after the ship stops in Ocho Rios, because the Falls are not for everyone. It's a 600' climb in cascading water over slippery rocks, and it's a challenge to complete if you are not in decent shape. I've also toured the mountains and rain forest areas, as well as river tubed. I've stopped at street vendors to get jerked chicken.

I've never stayed just in the gated port area, and actually, I've never bought anything from the stores there either. Guess I'm not your typical CCL cruiser.

My DD (16) and I did Dunns River Falls last year and had a great time. But..... it is strenuous to say the least. If you go, make sure you have good water shoes or tennis shoes. No Crocs, etc. We are fairly fit also but still needed help....the person in front helps the next and so on.... After we finished the falls, we had lunch at a local place then proceeded to the White River for tubing. This was very nice and relaxing with great scenery. We arranged all this with a local tour operator (Phil Lafayette) who did a fabulous job. Basically put himself at our service for the day. The Ports of Call Board for Ocho Rios has other suggestions for tour operators as well.

We enjoyed Ocho Rios.

We booked with Phil and had a great time! We did the exact same tour.

We've gone to Dunns River Falls twice and it was okay, but we really enjoyed tubing on the White River. Very fun!
Same here. We enjoyed Dunns River Falls but LOVED the river tubing! Looking back, I probably wouldn't do the Falls again. It was fun at the time, but very slippery. I busted the toe out of my water shoe, lucky I didn't break my toe. :p

We've done the falls twice. Once through Carnival and once through a private operater, Mark Moses. On our own was better as he got us there early before the crowds and lines. We then did the White River tubing, which as everyone else said was just as much fun as the falls.

I personally didn't think the Falls were that big of a deal. A friend of ours just got back and seriously hurt himself (twisted his knee and totally screwed up the rest of his vacation) while climbing the Falls, quite easy to do considering how slippery the rocks are and how many places there are to put your foot in and twist something...and that isn't the first time I've heard of that happening. If I ever go back again, which isn't high on my "To Do" list, I'd probably high tail it to an all-inclusive and avoid everything outside of the resort and the gated "Island Village" area near the port at all costs.

I agree with Mama - stay away from the village a friend was robbed there! Oops! Promised her I would not tell her husband - hope he doesn't read this! Go to an all inclusive and have a great day.

my husband and i stayed in ochi several years ago. we did the falls, but with a much smaller group. we didn't like the idea of everyone holding hands, so our tour guide allowed us and another couple we were with to fall behind and we did by ourselves. much easier than holding hands. make sure you wear water shoes or ones with a little traction. you can avoid the vendors by walking outside of their little flea market area. i know lots of people feel harassed, but if you are approached just give a firm no thank you if not interested. we also did ziplining with chukka tours as well as the bob marley tour to nine mile. for nine mile, we hired a local to take us.

By far the best port we had in 4 cruises! Thanks to a awesome private tour (Peat Taylor). We went on a great driving tour, river tubing and horseback riding (including the swim with the horses) We had a diverse group from 12-65 and everyone is still talking about that great day in Ocho Rios. WHEN I go back, will do the same day all over again!

Hi, I am traveling with my husband and another couple and we are in our mid 50's and physically fit!

Can anyone tell me about their experience at Mystic Mountain, Dunn River Falls or any others that you can recommend?

Thanks! Cruising aboard the Carnival Freedom on Feb 20th

We were in Ocho Rios on the Freedom in March, a small group of 23, and when we walked to the docks and saw the prices they were charging, I was ready to get back on the ship. However, we walked through the gates and it was there we met Oliver, great local van driver who offered his services. For $10.00 per person, he would take us to Dunn River Falls, the Rainforest and a back of the island tour.

He even got us discounted tickets for the Falls.

Now, I am 50, 49 at the time, and climbing the Falls, very challenging but I loved it, driving up through the Rainforest and actually meeting some of the locals who made the arts and crafts was very special as well. But truly on of the highlights for me was seeing how some of these folks really live, seeing the schools the kids attended, learning they went to school in staggered shifts. Being taken up in the mountains to overlooks of the Bay area, and some mountainside shacks that served up great Jamaican fare and a great frosty adult beverages. Aftwerward took us shopping at some of (I am sure he got a cut), the best bargain shops in the area.

Not gonna say this is for everyone, but it made our first visit to Jamaica unforgettable.

Tim

Archived