All bitten up

c4me

I just completed a 7 day cruise on the

Epic, and when in Roatan, we visited the beach on an excursion, and was bitten all over by something in the sand???, It has now been 1o days, and the itching is getting worse... any idea what it was that attacked my DH and myself? My dh bites went away, but mine are getting worse?? They now look like hard pimples, and very itchy.

Your bites sound as though they came from "no seeums". Many of the resorts spray their beach areas morning/night to control the no seeums but some do not. A bug spray such as DeepWoods Off works very well, as do the DeepWoods Off towelettes (and the towelettes are easier to pack).

Again, not all beaches have this problem. You may want to try using calamine location or oatmeal bath to ease the itching. Many people never have a problem while others get enough bites to resemble chicken pox!

Where on which beach were you? We were there at about the smae day and had no problems on the Infinity Bay property. Nor while we walked the stretch of beach both directions.

Bug spray is recommended at some beach areas. We always take our chances and don't carry it along. Luckily we haven't been "bit by the bugs" yet.

I'd get some medical attention if you think you are haiving some kind of allergic reaction. You might need a stonger solution of cortisone than over the counter creams can offer.

I am wondering if they pose a hazard to my health, if they are mites that burrowewd into my skin, how do I get them removed, or do they just die under my skin?

Your own Doctor will be able to give you accurate medical advice, not a bunch of strangers on the internet. Good Luck

Definitely the sand fleas. I've been to Roatan twice, staying for a week at a time at Infinity Bay, heading there again Feb 11. You'll see workers out on the beach raking the sand, usually in the mornings. They are "raking in" the anti-sand flea potion. Not all of the places do this. Use Deep Woods Off or Bull-Frog spray, can buy either at Target.

I just completed a 7 day cruise on the

Epic, and when in Roatan, we visited the beach on an excursion, and was bitten all over by something in the sand???, It has now been 1o days, and the itching is getting worse... any idea what it was that attacked my DH and myself? My dh bites went away, but mine are getting worse?? They now look like hard pimples, and very itchy.

I did see on the NCL Facebook page a person had been on the Jewel recently and she had bites on her legs, but she was saying they were from bed bugs in her stateroom. If that's accurate it might be that rather than the sand fleas?

Definitely the sand fleas. I've been to Roatan twice, staying for a week at a time at Infinity Bay, heading there again Feb 11. .

Sand fleas are little crustaceans, crablike critters that look like little armadillos, These are more likely sand flies and deffinately not sand fleas.

Archived