Cruise Line Suggestions

srdanz

My family is planning a Mexican Riviera cruise for August 2005. My family includes my husband and I (we are in our 30's), my young parents (early 50's), and my sister and two brothers (20, 19, 17). The guys are very active and will definitely like adventure sports. My mother, sister, and I prefer shopping and lounging. Any suggestions on a good cruise line or helpful hints for our planning? Thanks so much!!

Have you checked to see which ships are running the Riviera at that time? That will narrow your cruise line choices down considerably. When planning our cruise, we had a choice between Carnival & RCCL at the time that we could go. RCCL is just perfect for us. We are looking forward to Princess at the end of the year. Carnival just doesn't sound like our cup of tea. I think Holland America might be running the Riviera this year... as is Disney. So once you narrow it down, you can get a better picture of what you are loooking at.

Neither Royal Caribbean nor Celebrity do week-long cruises to the Mexican Riviera during the summer. In fact, summer cruising to the Mexican Riviera is very limited, because msot of the ships that sail that itinerary at other times are sailing Alaska during the summer. Both RCCL and Carnival have short (3-4 night) cruises, but I don't think they go any farther south than Cabo San Lucas. You'll miss out on a lot.

In any event, for active families without young children, I would strongly recommend Royal Caribbean or Princess. If you must do the Mexican Riviera cruise in August, and you can find a cruise line sailing more than 3-4 nights, go with that.

David

[quote name='David']Neither Royal Caribbean nor Celebrity do week-long cruises to the Mexican Riviera during the summer. [/QUOTE]

This is new this year, as RCCL did sail the 7 night last summer - Legend of the Seas. We loved this cruise. I think Disney coming over to this side prompted RCCl to move the Legend.

Looks like this year you have a choice between Disney or Carnival. Disney is much pricier than Disney. Since you have no small kids with you to warrant the higher costs, Carnival seems to be your only choice if you want to go in August.

That narrows it down for you, doesn't it?

Archived