Viking cabin categories...what's the difference?

foser22

Some of the cabins are REALLY small on the Viking ships. It would matter to me but may not to others. I could not stand a cabin of only 120 sq ft for a week or more, nor one with a murphy bed. I have seen some of their cabins and for me, they simply would not work. Comfort is a priority for us so we are willing to pay more for the lines that offer larger cabins as a standard.

The main difference is the size of the window and whether you want to be above the water level. The lower the deck, the cheaper the cost of the cabin. When docked the window might even be below the wall where the boat docks. That might bother some, but not others. One usually doesn't spend that much time in their room, so the lower cabins usually go quickly.

From our experience on the Legend, the Schumann, and the now retired Century Sun in China, the main difference is in the level the cabin is on, as the lower level cabins have a window that doesn't open, while the upper ones have a French balcony (with a sliding door that you can open, but there is no place to walk out on the balcony). The other difference in categories is that the cabins closer to the reception/dining are a more expensive category than the ones further aft. If you are mobility challenged, this might be a reason to pay for a higher category, but otherwise, we could not care.

Some of Viking's ships have Suites, which do have more space, at a premium price. We have been comfortable with the standard size cabins, but your mileage may vary.

We were concerned prior to our Viking cruise because the only cabins available were on the lowest level. They were small, but not that much smaller than the upstairs cabins, and the beds were apparently equally uncomfortable in all of the cabins. There were also a few single cabins on the lowest level that were even smaller. We adjusted quickly and actually found our cabin to be comfortable and efficient. There was a large porthole-type window that did not open just above water level. We decided to use the money saved to add a pre-cruise extension and it was wonderful. We would do the same again. We were on a 15-day Eastern European itinerary from the Black Sea to Passau.

We sailed on the Viking Spirit during our "Grand European" cruise. It was a 15 day journey and we appreciated the amount of room we had in cabin 301 on the upper deck. We had absolutely no complaints. We had friends on the second deck and they were fine but complained of noise from above and below. Additionally, other friends had a 100 series cabin buried in the hull up front and seemed OK but never spent much time in their cabin. I guess each accommodation has its pluses and minuses. All in all you don't spend much time in the cabin but try to stay toward the front of the ship - less crew and engine noise.

We were on the Viking Sun Christmas Market Cruise this past December.

We were in an upper deck cabin, which was fine. By chance, we visited one of the cabins on the bottom deck and discovered something that should be considered if on a Christmas Cruise:

During the winter, every time an outside door opens, cold air comes in. Being heavier than warm air, it works its way down to the lowest level. The lower hallway is the coldest on the ship ... quite chilly.

We sailed on the Viking Sun on an upper deck. Some friends that were on the lowest deck near the rear had complaints of hearing the water flow through the ceiling when showers/toilets drained.

I've heard that from all but the top deck.

Archived