Aix by Train w/86 YR old?

keeponcruising

Hello,

I will be on NCL EPIC this summer with my mother who is 86 yrs old. I looked at the ship tours and most have extensive walking (3 HRS). My mother can not handle that much walking. I would like to go to AIX and thought about taking the train. Then I just read there are no taxis at the train station to take us back to the port. Is it such a long walk to the bus shuttle? Is it very hilly?

Thanks,

Ellen

The train and bus station in Marseille (they're both in the same building, Saint Charles) are at the top of a long, fairly steep hill, so a taxi there to and from the cruise terminal is a must. You should be able to book one from the terminal and there is a taxi rank at Saint Charles station - like all major rail stations - for the return trip (or alternatively you could pre-book this taxi too).

From Saint Charles you can take either a train or a shuttle bus to Aix. If taking a train, do not take the TGV (high-speed train) as you will end up at Aix TGV station way outside town. There is a much more central station for the "slow" trains: http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/rail-railways-train-sncf/156-rail-travel-to-and-from-aix-en-provence.html.

The Marseille-Aix shuttle bus is very frequent and takes 30 minutes. Both Aix Cental rail station and Aix bus station are about 5-10 mins from the Cours Mirabeau and other central attractions and an easy walk.

The train and bus station in Marseille (they're both in the same building, Saint Charles) are at the top of a long, fairly steep hill, so a taxi there to and from the cruise terminal is a must. You should be able to book one from the terminal and there is a taxi rank at Saint Charles station - like all major rail stations - for the return trip (or alternatively you could pre-book this taxi too).

From Saint Charles you can take either a train or a shuttle bus to Aix. If taking a train, do not take the TGV (high-speed train) as you will end up at Aix TGV station way outside town. There is a much more central station for the "slow" trains: http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/rail-railways-train-sncf/156-rail-travel-to-and-from-aix-en-provence.html.

The Marseille-Aix shuttle bus is very frequent and takes 30 minutes. Both Aix Cental rail station and Aix bus station are about 5-10 mins from the Cours Mirabeau and other central attractions and an easy walk.

Thank you for your help. I was afraid I could get a taxi to the bus/train station, but there wouldn't be a taxi to take us back to the port.

Ellen

There is a busy taxi rank at Marseille station. It's never 100 per cent sure that a taxi will be available just at the exact time you require it, but this is a mainline station with a lot of through traffic, so it shouldn't be a major problem. If you speak French, you could arrange for a pick-up, perhaps with the driver who takes you there on the outward trip -- or possibly your cruise company could organise it for you? Good luck!

There is a busy taxi rank at Marseille station. It's never 100 per cent sure that a taxi will be available just at the exact time you require it, but this is a mainline station with a lot of through traffic, so it shouldn't be a major problem. If you speak French, you could arrange for a pick-up, perhaps with the driver who takes you there on the outward trip -- or possibly your cruise company could organise it for you? Good luck!

I dont' speak French, but I am good with language, so I could study what I need to say. Could you help me?

Ellen

I could give you a French phrase to say, but the risk of misunderstanding what the driver says in reply is just too great in my view (the local accent is very strong too). Is this something the cruise company could order for you?

Otherwise, I would, in your place, simply allow plenty of time on the return trip to pick up a taxi on the spot at the taxi rank at Marseille station. As I said before, it's a very busy station, so there will be taxis coming through all the time.

Archived