Tipping on Rhapsody of the Seas

Jamar72

I have noticed through reading other posts that tips are a way of life on cruises.

I also learned it is advisable not to pay gratitudes up front but am wondering what the expectations on tipping are.

Are you expected to tip?

Which cruise staff are you expected to tip?

What would be the amount per staff member to tip on a 12 day cruise?

When is the best time to pay the tips?

Any information you can give me in relation to tipping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have noticed through reading other posts that tips are a way of life on cruises.

I also learned it is advisable not to pay gratitudes up front but am wondering what the expectations on tipping are.

Are you expected to tip?

Which cruise staff are you expected to tip?

What would be the amount per staff member to tip on a 12 day cruise?

When is the best time to pay the tips?

Any information you can give me in relation to tipping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gidday.

If you have not cruised before, first up, no doubt you will find things just as confusing as we did before our first cruise.. Thankfully, Royal is making it much simpler in Australia whereby advertisements quote prices which include gratuities (Your agent may not advertise price that way).

So, its easier, and no surprise to passegers, to budget for, and to have them included and paid before you board.

We were very used to land travel in USA which, (for service staff), practice a similar "wages" situation to International cruies ships.. When ship crew arrive in Australia, they have often been shocked with Aussies lack of knowledge of "the system"

There is both salaried staff, and there are service staff which rely on gratuities for the majority of thier income. Re gratuities.-----RCCL' recommended guidelines are easily available on thier website, but it currently totals $9.75USD per passenger per day for wait/service-staff, (FOR ALL MEALS SERVICE ), and your Cabin Steward/s .

You cabin staff, and your assigned dinner table staff, are advised that you have paid the gratuities/fee. No need to then tip for other meals, because they rotate thru other venues during the cruise and also their contract..

They are happily compenstated overall, and that is the main concern.

Always add a bit of extra cash, or throw it around at any time if you feel you want too.:D

Its certainly better to pay the grats to staff, before you board, (or add to your account at the service desk early in the cruise). Dont spend half your cruise paying in cash tips everytime you eat at a different venue, or work out where you have been for making a last night expedition.

This site, "CRUISE CRITIC" has some very good information pages and links, which may help expalin here... http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=265

Hope this helps .,, But above all, enjoy your cruise...

Sue and Phil.

For myself, I find the most convenient way of paying the gratuities on RCCL and Celebrity (if you haven't already paid them in advance) is just to register for auto-tipping and then they'll just add it to your ship's account for payment at the end. No need to worry about the amount, or get the right notes and split them up into separate envelopes. Given it's really just another way of paying their income, it's just the most straightforward way of doing it.

For your information - ALL TIPPING has been removed on Princess Ships sailing out and returning to Australia. Gratuity has also been removed from drink prices. These take effect from, I believe, May 2011 (that's this year).

John, you have made a mistake, the OP was asking about the tips on RCCL not Princess

Archived