Booze prices exorbitant

Boatingmom

Ditto, Fosters is just Kangaroo Pizz...wouldn't drink it for free.

Then don't drink it. Jeez, I don't know which is worse----- arrogant wine snob wannabes or arrogant beer snob wannabes. :D

Alcohol is like art..... and food. Different strokes for different folks and our preferences are an amalgamation of what we're used to, what "image" we think is projected by the preference, and what we've been told is good or bad.

There is little or no objective evidence to "prove" anything, so it's best to just live and let live and not put other people down to just make yourself feel superior in taste and/or culture. :rolleyes:

I don't drink wine, so you might check into this, but I think I read somewhere that wine is NOT included with the Chef's table.

I was at the Chef's Table a couple of months ago and wine was indeed included.---champagne with the appetizers and either a red or white, depending on what was appropriate, with each entree.

Wine is not included at the Supper Clubs.

WOW!! After reading this thread it makes me really glad I have outgrown the bar scene thing!!

That's an unfair statement, loaded with self-righteousness.:p Most people would associate "the bar scene" with singles bars and trying to pick up other patrons for a sordid rendezvous.

I think people drink more on cruises than they normally would for three reasons:

1. They are on vacation and drinking cool Caribbean libations attests to their temporary freedom from normal responsibilities and routines.

2. They drink for the enjoyable taste of the concoction.

3. They drink to get a buzz on and/or go crazy.

I think the third category is the least common on cruise ships and some people do indeed not "outgrow" that flaw, but to characterize all drinking on a cruise ship as "the bar scene" is unfair.:)

One tip regarding beer... is to order a bucket (4 beers). You save 50 cents per beer, or $2.00 total. You can take the bucket anywhere on the ship, back to your room or whatever. Saves a little $$. The other (besides smuggling:eek:) is to pre-order a bottle from the Bon Voyage dept. May seem pricey, but quite a bit of overall savings compared to buying individual drinks, and you can bring your own mixers on board. Alcohol (along with picture sales, gambing & bingo) is where they make their moola. Just gotta figure the costs in to your cruise budget & be prepared. :)

This all makes sense to me, but if you buy a bottle from the Bon Voyage dept. won't you have to keep running back to your room to make a drink since that is where the bottle is?

This all makes sense to me, but if you buy a bottle from the Bon Voyage dept. won't you have to keep running back to your room to make a drink since that is where the bottle is?

We don't run back to the room to make a drink. If we want one when we are in there, we make it then & either drink it in there or on the balcony, or take it with us. We buy plenty of drinks on board, too. Or we may keep a bucket of beer in the room, and the steward will keep it iced for us.

Do you bring your own beverage container, or re-use those you can get on the ship?

It's easy to walk up to a bar and just ask for a glass. They have no problem giving you one- and then you can get the appropriate glass for your drink.

I don't drink much, and won't drink on Carnival not because of the prices but because of the drinks- they are all poured so strongly I can't enjoy them. I keep tasting other people's drinks in my group to see if I'd like it, but it's always a no go. I got a mojito on my first cruise that was so strong I split it among 3 glasses of Diet Coke. mmmm- mint rum and coke :)

The prices seem reasonable for drinking out, and I live in the middle of nowhere.

I was at the Chef's Table a couple of months ago and wine was indeed included.---champagne with the appetizers and either a red or white' date=' depending on what was appropriate, with each entree.

Wine is not included at the Supper Clubs.

That must be what I read. I am not a wine or champagne drinker and don't go to those restaurants on the ships. I have heard they are great, but, for me (this is my preference, no judging - no need to flame me - I am not critizing anyone), I am quite happy with the MDR experience.

That's an unfair statement' date=' loaded with self-righteousness.:p Most people would associate "the bar scene" with singles bars and trying to pick up other patrons for a sordid rendezvous.

I think people drink more on cruises than they normally would for three reasons:

1. They are on vacation and drinking cool Caribbean libations attests to their temporary freedom from normal responsibilities and routines.

I think the third category is the least common on cruise ships and some people do indeed not "outgrow" that flaw, but to characterize all drinking on a cruise ship as "the bar scene" is unfair.:)[/quote']

And, no need to limit your drinks because you have to drive or find a designated driver.

If you consider what you pay for drinks at a theme park, ball game, concert etc., the prices on board are not that out of line. You have to put in perspective where you are enjoying that drink and if you take the advice offered in this thread you can reduce the cost somewhat. Buying beer by the bucket, order a bottle from Bon Voyage, and enjoy the best vacation experience out there.

Living in NYC I thought $8.00 was a pretty fair price.

I agree! For our 1st cruise, I was worried about drink prices after reading posts here. Once on the ship, I ordered a martini before dinner and it $8-9 - very reasonable considering that's what we pay here on average in Phoenix. But go into Scottsdale and you are looking at $10-14 for maritinis. So I was pleasantly surprised with the pricing onboard. Now our next cruise will be drink cheap because it is a port intensive Mediterrenian(sp?) cruise so I won't be boozing it up because I want to be able to get up early the next AM to make our tours so $8-9 for drinks is all right with me - all things considered.

Maybe not. There's such a thing as a 16 oz insulated tumbler. I recommend Tervis brand. Lifetime guarantee.

Apparently we have us a British beer snob here. :D Foster's is a good beer. It is not a great beer. Their amber beer is even better. But' date=' compared to what most Americans drink ---- Budweiser, Bud Lite, Miller, Miller Lite, Coors and Coors Lite, Foster's is pretty good. Americans of course have different tastes from those of you in the United Kingdom.[/quote']

Budweiser is the best selling premium packed lager in UK bars, pubs and restaurants.

4. Because they can.

5. They don't have to worry about a DUI.

Last I looked "coke" was soda...I prefer pepsi..though..:rolleyes:

Soda is soda water or seltzer when bartending....It is clear and unflavored where as Coke/Pepsi/Cola is flavored and brown...If you are going give a recipe at least give the proper ingredients....:p:rolleyes:

Soda is soda water or seltzer when bartending....It is clear and unflavored where as Coke/Pepsi/Cola is flavored and brown...If you are going give a recipe at least give the proper ingredients....:p:rolleyes:

Perhaps. In some places, cold drink refers to a soda, as in soft drink.

7up is the Uncola and certainly clear.

Just googled to confirm my suspicions and amazing, my memory did not fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink

That's an unfair statement' date=' loaded with self-righteousness.:p Most people would associate "the bar scene" with singles bars and trying to pick up other patrons for a sordid rendezvous.

I think the third category is the least common on cruise ships and some people do indeed not "outgrow" that flaw, but to characterize all drinking on a cruise ship as "the bar scene" is unfair.:)[/quote']

Oh sister (brother?) you read WAY too much into that!! I am talking about what people are saying they pay for a drink in a local bar in the various cities. I was not talking about cruising at all. I don't associate "the bar scene" with cruising, more, "going out and partying" while on land, i.e. "What are we doing tonight?" "We're going out partying, what else?" And it's just me, I could care less if someone wants to drink til they're 90, I just happened to outgrow the need to "party" to have a good time. Doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

Perhaps. In some places, cold drink refers to a soda, as in soft drink.

7up is the Uncola and certainly clear.

Just googled to confirm my suspicions and amazing, my memory did not fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink

Note I said in "bartending"...If you ordered a Scotch and soda and I as a bartender put rootbeer in it you woud say WTH is this.....

Nice try though....:rolleyes:

Correct. What does the price of a mix have to do with the price of booze...:confused:

a soft drink is a soft drink.

Yes, you do appear to be confused.....

By the way to answer your question...All drinks using a mix in them such as soda, cranberry juice or oj are all figured in to the "cost" of a drink......

Archived