What Edventure activity would you not do?

My husband, son (17 yrs. old), and I will be on a cruise, and the official hours of the Calica stop are 7:00 to 5:00. Most of the Edventure reviews I have read seem to be from people who go on the tour from hotels, and their excursion time is longer than the time we will have.

Which of the activities would you recommend we NOT do, given the time we will be there? Should we skip the 1) Tulum 2) Dos Ojos 3) Ziplining/Cliff jump 4) Turtle snorkeling 5) lunch at beach restaurant 6) Lagoon snorkeling ? If you could provide rationale for what you would skip, that would be helpful as well.

Also, do you think that we should request a specific guide, and if so, whom? Finally, what amount of tip is appropriate?

Thank you in advance for all your helpful advice!!!

My husband, son (17 yrs. old), and I will be on a cruise, and the official hours of the Calica stop are 7:00 to 5:00. Most of the Edventure reviews I have read seem to be from people who go on the tour from hotels, and their excursion time is longer than the time we will have.

Which of the activities would you recommend we NOT do, given the time we will be there? Should we skip the 1) Tulum 2) Dos Ojos 3) Ziplining/Cliff jump 4) Turtle snorkeling 5) lunch at beach restaurant 6) Lagoon snorkeling ? If you could provide rationale for what you would skip, that would be helpful as well.

Also, do you think that we should request a specific guide, and if so, whom? Finally, what amount of tip is appropriate?

Thank you in advance for all your helpful advice!!!

Those are all fun activities, and I would skip the one or two that are closest to something I have already done. (It's a long day, you're gonna have to eat somewhere, might as well be scenic).

Ziplining is offered many places, but it's tough to find a place that almost guarantees that you'll swim with marine turtles(Akumal). The huge stoplight parrotfish at Yal Ku lagoon are pretty entertaining. Tulum is pretty, and everyone should visit a Mayan ruin at least once.

for me it's easier to answer the things I absolutely wouldn't skip - akumal, Dos Ojos

Zip lines weren't an option for us since BubbaQ is above the max height.

Choosing between ya-kul or Tulum for me would come down to if you are more interested in Mayan history or enjoy the water more.... For us, we would (and have) by passed the lagoon since are original trip there.

You will work up an appetite, so I don't know that I'd skip lunch.

Thank you for your responses! After reading them, I am leaning towards skipping the zipline. My husband and I ziplined in Roatan, and it was incredible! The zipline on YouTube that someone taped while on Edventures doesn't appear very long or steep. But, I wasn't sure if it would be better to do something 'non-snorkeling' to break up the day. Some of the TripAdvisor reviews discussed that their beach restaurant stop was really late in the day, so maybe by skipping the zipline, we would be eating earlier.

I haven't gone to any ruins yet, and since it seems to be closer than any of the ruins we have had opportunity to visit on other cruises, Tulum is a definite stop.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

After doing this tour, I would leave off the zipline. There are MUCH better ziplines other places and for us, it took much more time out of the day than it should have. I would also leave off Tulum as this activity takes a lot of time (and there are ruins all over the Caribbean).

Our entire group agreed that the caves, snorkel with sea turtles, la buena vida, and acumal were the best part of the day. If I returned, these are the only activities I would repeat.

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up doing all of the activities. We asked to be picked up at the Calica port at 7:00 a.m. Jorge was right there waiting on us when we got to the boat and took us to Edventures. We settled up with Ed, and we were the amoung the first people to go through Tulum.

My 17 year old stepson who is very interested in history liked Tulum the best of all the day's activities so I was glad we spent the hour and 15 minutes there. We then went back and got our snorkle gear and went to the zipline and cliff.

We met up with two other couples from our cruise boat and David, our guide, for the day. Even though the zipline was quite moderate compared to the zipline we have done in the past in Roatan, it was fun going over the lagoon and canoeing back and jumpling off the cliff into the cenote. We jumped off the cliff before and after the zipline, which put us alittle behind for the day.

Thus, our swim out to the turtles felt a little rushed. If there were anything we would have skipped in hindsight, it would would have been the snorkling out to see the turtles as it took quite a bit of time to swim out and back to see 5 turtles, and we have seen turtles in the past while on snorkling trips in Cozumel. It was an incredible beach, though, and would be fun to relax there all day long.

The most unusual part of the day was snorkling in Dos Ojos, and the snorkling in the Akumal lagoon was the most relaxing. I liked Dos Ojos the best, and my husband liked Akumal. We all agreed that you could not have a better day than an Edventures excursion!

Archived