Is this considered a weapon?

TNPirate

I know that Carnival has a "No Weapons" policy, but I am curious as to what their definition of a "weapon" is, in terms of bladed instruments. I know not to bring my 3 1/2" folding knife -- that's just common sense. However, what about my Gerber multi-tool (it's like a Leatherman). You know, the pliers whose handles contain files, screwdrivers, and a small knife blade. This is something that I routinely took on planes in my carry-on before 9-11. Its multitude of features can come in handy in any number of situations. If I do take it, it will go onboard in my checked baggage, not in my carry-on. I just wanted to ask on here what other people thought -- should I take it at all? I hate for them to confiscate it, since it has been through a lot with me.

BTW, we sail this Saturday on the Holiday -- I feel very well-prepared for the cruise thanks to the input of so many on these boards.

As long it is in your checked baggage you should be fine. I brought along a large pair of scissors in my checked baggage and when I received my luggage on the ship there was a card inside my bag that said it was physically inspected and passed and the scissors were still there.

My ex-hubby installs restaurants for a local company and travels via plane a lot with tools securely locked in a checked-in toolbox. He has things similar to what you described. Because he checked them in, they allow those items. He needs them for work.

You should be fine.

Stacy

Why would you want your leatherman tool on a cruise? :confused: I don't plan on doing anywork on my cruise.:) Sure I have a little pocket knife for cutting string or something but no pliers, cork screw, screwdrivers etc. I'll ask my cabin stewart if I need anything like that. just courious?

I really think that you answered your own question by stating that Carnival has a no weapons policy and then indicating that the Leatherman has a blade. The Leatherman I have has a 3" blade so there really isn't any difference between it and your 3 1/2" folding pocket knife.

I recently saw a post on another cruise board about this very thing. The guy said he actually wore the leatherman on his belt while boarding the ship and wasn't stopped, and had done so several times. OH MY!

My question to him (and now to you), WHY in the world would you think you'd need something like that on a cruise??? The other guy answered that he was used to wearing it, and he WILL always wear it, and the cruiseline couldn't MAKE him give it up - a real jerk with his answer, believe me. NOT saying you're like him.:rolleyes:

I just can't imagine even wanting to take something like that on a cruise. I mean, do you wear it ALL the time - even with shorts? I guess I don't understand the necessity. Can you explain it - nicer than HE did???

My folding knife, to me, has no purpose other than a knife -- it cuts stuff with the one tool that it has -- its blade. Also, I may have mis-estimated its blade length -- it's probably closer to 4 1/2 or 5 inches.

My Gerber multi-tool has scissors, screwdrivers, etc. -- many other useful functions that I regularly use on the car, around the house, at work, etc. That is why I was asking would something that had multiple purposes be lumped into the same category as something that has only one function. I see my knife as a weapon -- I understand that, and it will remain at home. However, in the ways that I use it, I have never looked at my multi-tool as a weapon -- in fact, because of my other knives, the knife blade on the multi-tool is the part of it that I use the LEAST frequently. I was just asking would the cruise lines (or, if I was one of the lucky few, someone who inspected my baggage) have tunnel vision and only see the knife blade.

Cotton -- I use it to trim loose strings on clothes (the scissors), open beer bottles (can opener), pick mud out of my shoes (several different parts of it), open battery compartments of GPS, 2-way radio, alarm clocks (pliers and other parts) -- I would not wear it onto the ship -- if I take it, I will send it on in my checked bags. I would not wear it out and about on the ship, or even on an excursion. I would keep it in my safe in my cabin, and when going ashore, tucked securely in the depths of my Camelbak.

Cotton -- I use it to trim loose strings on clothes (the scissors), open beer bottles (can opener), pick mud out of my shoes (several different parts of it), open battery compartments of GPS, 2-way radio, alarm clocks (pliers and other parts) -- I would not wear it onto the ship -- if I take it, I will send it on in my checked bags. I would not wear it out and about on the ship, or even on an excursion. I would keep it in my safe in my cabin, and when going ashore, tucked securely in the depths of my Camelbak.

Please understand that I'm really not trying to be obstreperous here, BUT I don't see where any of those things would apply on a cruise. You could take a tiny nail clipper for strings, your beer will be served 'open', I don't think you'll find any mud on the ship and little if any on shore, and shouldn't need to replace batteries, etc. Sorry, but I'm just dumbstruck at the idea of taking something that's, to me, unnecessary for a cruise. OK, I won't say anything else.:)

You can pack it in your checked luggage, but there's no guarantee that it wouldn't be confiscated at a whim by those who inspect your luggage. Why take that chance? I say leave it a home since you probably will have little if any use for it while on vacation. Anything you might need help with can be provided by your steward or the Purser's desk.

Cotton,

My apologies if I came off as short with you -- it was not intended that way at all. I guess for me that this has become one of those things that I've gotten used to using for a lot of different tasks over the years, and taking it places is more a habit than a conscious thought. We have someone we know who wears his EVERYWHERE -- with a shirt and tie to church, with shorts to the zoo, with jeans out to dinner -- it's almost like an appendage to him, and a lot of people make fun of him for the fact that it is always on his person (along with a keyring that would put a university janitor to shame!). Mine is in the console of my car for a road trip, tossed in the tackle box when fishing, in the Camelbak when hiking (or on the belt for those two), and in my top dresser drawer in the house. It's just one of those things that I have come to know that I can use in a wide range of situations, so I like for it to be handy.

I guess for me that this has become one of those things that I've gotten used to using for a lot of different tasks over the years, and taking it places is more a habit than a conscious thought.

I can relate. I used to wear mine everyday when I was in the service. When I got out it took a while to get used to not having it.

I take mine and have used it for all kinds of things. I screwed the shampoo holder back on the wall with it. Why wait for hours to have it done by someone who really could be doing more important things when I can help out myself. Instead of taking separate items, it's all in one. Some take their bungee cord, I take my multi-tool.

I too take a multi-tool traveling, camping, hiking, etc. Look beyond the aspect that there is a small blade and see the other things. I have some electronic components that have small screws that I need to undue to get to the batteries. Unless I want to carry a tool box with the essential tools that are invaluable for me being self-sufficient, I'll take my multi-tool anyday.

I haven't looked at Carnival's definition of a weapon, but look at the Florida case and the kid that's suspended for supposedly threatening a teacher with a weapon - a rubber band. I think the school's definition was the use of any instrument or object used to make a threat or inflict damage. If Carnival's definition is anything close to that then just about anything and everything could be considered a weapon.

Hi, Just to put my 2 cents in I actually got knitting needles confiscated. I sat at the entrance ended the row and handed them the needles. I now only take crochet hooks ( they are rounded on the end). Now some would say why even bring anything? Well to me there is nothing more enjoyable and relaxing then sitting in a lounge chair on deck (or our balcony) watching the beautiful water and crocheting. I crochet hats for cancer patients and they are very quick and easy. While I was on the Valor 3 weeks ago I made 14 of them!

Sue

I had my leatherman in my carryon on the last Carnival cruise I was on several months ago. To be honest, I didn't think about it being a weapon until I read this post. I find it a handy little tool to have, plus it drives my DW crazy (I'm an organized engineer type who likes to be prepared for anything).

Cotton,

My apologies if I came off as short with you -- it was not intended that way at all. I guess for me that this has become one of those things that I've gotten used to using for a lot of different tasks over the years, and taking it places is more a habit than a conscious thought. We have someone we know who wears his EVERYWHERE -- with a shirt and tie to church, with shorts to the zoo, with jeans out to dinner -- it's almost like an appendage to him, and a lot of people make fun of him for the fact that it is always on his person (along with a keyring that would put a university janitor to shame!). Mine is in the console of my car for a road trip, tossed in the tackle box when fishing, in the Camelbak when hiking (or on the belt for those two), and in my top dresser drawer in the house. It's just one of those things that I have come to know that I can use in a wide range of situations, so I like for it to be handy.

That's exactly how I feel about my lipsticks! :D :cool: ;) :D

I had my leatherman in my carryon on the last Carnival cruise I was on several months ago. To be honest, I didn't think about it being a weapon until I read this post. I find it a handy little tool to have, plus it drives my DW crazy (I'm an organized engineer type who likes to be prepared for anything).

Amen! (me too)

I crochet hats for cancer patients and they are very quick and easy. While I was on the Valor 3 weeks ago I made 14 of them.Sue

Sue, what a nice and unselfish thing to do. My mother does the same thing - and takes a dozen or so of them to the hospital every week. :)

It's a Weapon. My son was accosted (11) on his school bus by a kid with one. The police arrested him for having a weapon on school grounds + a number of other things. He only used the pliers part of the thing, but because it had a blade in it, and he was using the pliers in a threating maner. Policed deemed it as a weapon, and still look at leatherman as weapons. I asked my neighbor he's a cop.;)

Personaly I don't care if you bring it, but let the ship people fix the shower, enjoy your cruise!:D

I know that Carnival has a "No Weapons" policy, but I am curious as to what their definition of a "weapon" is, in terms of bladed instruments. I know not to bring my 3 1/2" folding knife -- that's just common sense. However, what about my Gerber multi-tool (it's like a Leatherman). You know, the pliers whose handles contain files, screwdrivers, and a small knife blade. This is something that I routinely took on planes in my carry-on before 9-11. Its multitude of features can come in handy in any number of situations. If I do take it, it will go onboard in my checked baggage, not in my carry-on. I just wanted to ask on here what other people thought -- should I take it at all? I hate for them to confiscate it, since it has been through a lot with me.

BTW, we sail this Saturday on the Holiday -- I feel very well-prepared for the cruise thanks to the input of so many on these boards.

I take a (generic) Leatherman in my checked luggage on cruises. I also take a small VOM. I'm sure some folks consider me a bit retentive, but almost every trip, I've found more than one occasion to use them. And no, even though there is a knife blade, I don't consider it a weapon (but I'm not stupid enough to put it in my carry-on luggage for the plane).

Archived