'Teen' Club

BelAirMom

We are traveling on FOS in July; our DS will be 12 at time of sailing and I think he would go to the teen club. I am a little concerned about the age ranges and wonder if anyone has any experiences they would care to relate? He is a pretty sociable kid but I don't want him to feel like the baby of the group!

I travelled a few years ago and was 15 at the time and in the 15-17 year olds group and was the 'baby' of the group but it wasnt a big deal AT ALL, wasnt even really noticed! :D still had the time of my life!! He'd be in the 12-14 yr old group and i can imagine if he joins in the club he will too!! Enjoy!! :D

We are traveling on FOS in July; our DS will be 12 at time of sailing and I think he would go to the teen club. I am a little concerned about the age ranges and wonder if anyone has any experiences they would care to relate? He is a pretty sociable kid but I don't want him to feel like the baby of the group!

He'll be fine. He'll be in the 12-14 age group. There's two areas he can go to. One being the Living Room, which is pretty much a hang out where they can play video games and stuff. And the other is the teen club, which I believe is opened until 1am. Since you're son is 12, he can go in & out of the teen areas whenever he wants. I didn't see my oldest (13) until 1am almost every night. He made a ton of friends. You're son will love it. :)

Hi. You felt safe with your teen walking around the ship? We are taking our 13 year old son cruising for his first time and our 4th....but we haven't sailed since 1997 and we aren't familiar with the teen clubs. I wrote in another post we wanted to maintain communication somehow and want to know how possible that is. What 12-14 year old activities on the Allure would be "don't miss" either afternoon or evening? Thanks!

Hi. You felt safe with your teen walking around the ship? We are taking our 13 year old son cruising for his first time and our 4th....but we haven't sailed since 1997 and we aren't familiar with the teen clubs. I wrote in another post we wanted to maintain communication somehow and want to know how possible that is. What 12-14 year old activities on the Allure would be "don't miss" either afternoon or evening? Thanks!

Regarding communication, there's a thread around here somewhere about the Iphone on Allure, but I found this article quicker.. This should be a good way to keep tabs on your kids.

LINK

Yes, I did. We used texting as a way to stay in constant communication with each other, .50 cent a text. We met up for Dinner and a show almost every night and then he would go back and hang out with his newly made friends. We also made it a point to visit each port we stopped at for excursions and such and even met up for lunch a couple of times. My child is very responsible and well-mannered, so I trusted him to behave himself. He knows once that trust is broken, he's stuck being next to me for the whole rest of the trip. LOL!

Thanks! You have been very helpful. It is hard to visualize a ship the size of the Allure and not imagine your kid is going to get lost at every turn. This will be a new experience I think for all of us! i know it is much easier having a sibling along but unfortunately our son is by himself but I'm sure he'll make friends if he wants to do anything "cool" without his parents! LOL.

My daughter was 13 when we sailed on the Oasis and we made sure she went to the very first few get togethers in order to meet a lot of kids. She really clicked with another girl right off the bat and they spent a lot of time together during the cruise, but she also met a lot of other kids that would get together in scheduled activites or randomly. She enjoyed things like the scavenger hunts, late night (9-12pm) sports or parties at club.

Thanks! You have been very helpful. It is hard to visualize a ship the size of the Allure and not imagine your kid is going to get lost at every turn. This will be a new experience I think for all of us! i know it is much easier having a sibling along but unfortunately our son is by himself but I'm sure he'll make friends if he wants to do anything "cool" without his parents! LOL.

The Allure is huge, but after a day or so you pretty much know where you are. It is easier if they had a sibling along with them. My youngest is 6 and was in the AO, so my oldest was on his own during the times he wasn't with me. Kids are certainly resourceful and make friends quickly. The teen rooms are full of kids that are by themselves too, so they can all relate to each other. Plus, my DS thought the counselors were really cool and kept them occupied with games and events throughout the day. One game played was a ship-wide manhunt using condiments and utensils. I don't know the name of the actual game, but all the kids had a blast playing it for days. Plus, you'll get a daily Compass just for kids events held throughout the day. Most of which parents aren't allowed to attend unless held in the sports or flowrider areas. They don't play when they say Parents aren't allowed. LOL!!

Does anyone know if texting is available on the Freedom? Sounds like the texting was availalbe on the Allure but I wasn't sure if that is the case for Freedom? Thanks for all the great responses!

Texting is available on every ship. You just need to check with your cell phone provider and see what the coverage is and what the rates are. Some charge .50 cents a text and .5 cents receive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for parents of girls especially. My sister is a therapist (as in hearing a lot of rape victims stories) and is shocked that I let my 13 yr old come and go to the teen club on her own as she pleased, especially walking back to the room after midnight alone (she was usually with a couple friends with rooms on the same floor). I hadn't intended to when we left, but I was on my own w/ 10 and 13 yr girls and ended up not feeling great and very sleepy at night. I told her to wake me up when she'd get back. She thinks the way I described the Carnival clubs, that it's a pedofile's dream. We talked often about what to avoid, staying in groups, etc, but I know kids are kids and forget sometimes. Anyone know of any issues reported in the last 15 yrs? Education has made people more likely to tell, and there's no running to hide on a ship for a perp., but as she said, once the damage is done, it doesn't matter if they get caught or not as far as the girl goes. The whole family is going this time and I could even assign their brother to walk them back some nights (different club but he can always go back if his goes later) if we're too tired to stay up, but I'm being stupid to think it's a pretty safe environment.

thanks

I have a question for parents of girls especially. My sister is a therapist (as in hearing a lot of rape victims stories) and is shocked that I let my 13 yr old come and go to the teen club on her own as she pleased, especially walking back to the room after midnight alone (she was usually with a couple friends with rooms on the same floor). I hadn't intended to when we left, but I was on my own w/ 10 and 13 yr girls and ended up not feeling great and very sleepy at night. I told her to wake me up when she'd get back. She thinks the way I described the Carnival clubs, that it's a pedofile's dream. We talked often about what to avoid, staying in groups, etc, but I know kids are kids and forget sometimes. Anyone know of any issues reported in the last 15 yrs? Education has made people more likely to tell, and there's no running to hide on a ship for a perp., but as she said, once the damage is done, it doesn't matter if they get caught or not as far as the girl goes. The whole family is going this time and I could even assign their brother to walk them back some nights (different club but he can always go back if his goes later) if we're too tired to stay up, but I'm being stupid to think it's a pretty safe environment.

thanks

Personally I would think of any ship as a random assortment of several thousand strangers. Just like any town in America. Like any mall. The only difference is that you cannot leave this town! There are going to be good people and bad people on any cruise.

What level of freedom do your daughters have at home? Can they walk around alone at midnight? Are they off doing activities without you knowing exactly where they are normally?

I think that people get an inflated sense of security on cruise ships when it comes to the younger teen set. You will be asking these kids to make decisions in situations that they have perhaps never encountered before, while spending time with kids who they have never met before. The instant bonding that goes on - especially with girls - makes these friendships seem much stronger then they really are. Trust develops over time and experience with a friend, something that has not had time to happen with cruise ship friendships.

So my opinion for what it's worth would be to use the same kind of caution on a cruise ship as you would use in your home town. Know where your child is at all times. Set ground rules for where they can go and who they can go with. Set consequences. Give them an "out" by using you as an excuse for avoiding any activity that makes them feel uncomfortable. ie "My parents won't allow me to do that." A cruise is a vacation for everyone in the family, but parents do not stop being parents!

Hope that everyone in your family has an awesome time!

We have done 3 RCI cruises and about to do our 4th this Summer. Our only child (Son) was 12 for the 1st on Freedom, 13 on the 2nd on Oasis and 14 for our 3rd on Adventure (he will still be 14 for our Independence cruise this Summer)....So he has only been in the 12 - 14 yrs teen group, which I was told by the leaders is their favourite group as the kids are up for doing the activities and for joining in with everything - whereas the 15-17 usually just want to sit around and chat.....

He has had a fantastic time on all of our cruises, has made loads of new friends and we had to request his presence with us for at least 1 formal night dinner and photos - he was very quick to go get changed and join his Teen Group again.

I have a Teen compass off our Adventure cruise in Oct 2010 if anyone wants a copy just post your email address and I'll be happy to send it....It shows the activities this age group can join in.....

I have a Teen compass off our Adventure cruise in Oct 2010 if anyone wants a copy just post your email address and I'll be happy to send it....It shows the activities this age group can join in.....

I'd be very interested in seeing it! Address below

Thanks!

Archived