Lodging in Talkeetna

mcrider

We, family of 4, arrive in anchorage 1230pm and wanted to start our drive to denali that same day to break it up. Talkeetna seems about half way, and was wondering if anyone can suggest lodging in that area? Or there may be a better option I dont know about. We did want to stop at Martin Buser's happy trail sled dog tour coming or going.

thanks.

We've stayed at the Swiss Alaska Inn a couple of times and found it clean and reasonable. They have a small restaurant but we've never eaten there. It's a 5 minute walk to town. Depending on what you're used to you may find it a bit rustic although everything is in Talkeetna. Wouldn't be Talkeetna otherwise.

maybe wasilla is a good idea. I thought we wouldn't make the 2 pm tour of Martin buser, so were thinking of going on the way back to anchorage. Will the girls enjoy the happy trails tour? Thanks for everyones input. I didn't see the post when searching talkeetna lodging, so thanks daju22 for the link.

tim

maybe wasilla is a good idea. I thought we wouldn't make the 2 pm tour of Martin buser, so were thinking of going on the way back to anchorage. Will the girls enjoy the happy trails tour? Thanks for everyones input. I didn't see the post when searching talkeetna lodging, so thanks daju22 for the link.

tim

On the way back from Denali, you obviously won't make the 10 am tour, and it would be a shame to have to rush back to do the 2 pm tour if you saw things you wanted to stop and do/see on the return. I don't know how old your girls are, but if they like dogs, I'm sure they'll love the tour (everyone loves Martin). I'm thinking of taking my granddaughter there this summer, as she is gaga over sled dogs. The Iditarod is the week after her birthday; this year for her gift, her parents are taking her out to the first checkpoint off the road to watch the mushers come in and leave. She is going to be impossible to get quiet for a few days after that!

I thought I could make a 10am tour; I figured 4 hours from healy? I see talkeetna has a couple of kennels, any knowledge of these (huskytown, and sundog kennel)?

Well, if you plan to be on the road by 6am, and don't find anything to attract/distract you on the way, you could make it. It's about 200 miles, and the area around Denali has a reduced speed limit, as do many of the small communities you'll pass through on the way.

I don't know the mushers associated with those kennels--in fact I had to look up who had them. It depends on what you're looking for-- one of them has only been in 2 Iditarods, and finished 1. So if you want stories of the Iditarod, you won't get much there. The other one has finished a few, and is competing this year.

http://www.iditarod.com/race/musherlisting.html

mcrider - I do hope you can somehow make it to Happy Trails Kennels. It was truly my very favorite excursion last year! And yes, your daughter will be fascinated, amazed, and in her glory with the dogs, Martin's stories - just all of it. As MyTime said, everyone loves Martin - he is so personable. After three hours with him (just us and another couple), we felt like he was family. He's just fascinating, his stories of the trail are edge-of-your-seat great, and that smile of his? Forgetaboutit! He is just genuinely nice! Seeing the makeshift trail cabin, getting a demonstration of him putting the booties on the dog (he used Angel, who is just a lovebug!), and getting to cuddle the puppies (one even peed on me - gotta be good luck, right?) was just so special. You would really, really love it! Hoping things work out for you and you get to visit there. Tell Martin we said hey!;) LOL!

Archived