Any iPad users buy AT&T international plan?

haras

Going on the sapphire and was curious if anyone has used the international 3G? Was it reliable? Since it's only measuring MB, I figure it might be cheaper than using the cruiselines Internet. My husband has to be connected and last cruise racked up $300 in Internet charges

Tia!

Just returned from the Crown

I did not use the 3G at all I turned it off,being elite I get plenty of free Internet minutes. The interment worked great all over the ship. Out of the 150 minutes I get I still had over 50 leftover. I checked my email a least 4 times a day and did plenty of Internet searches for a 7 day cruise.

I know this won't help with the 3G I pad, But my blackberry was on at various times I didn't receive 60% of my emails.

Going on the sapphire and was curious if anyone has used the international 3G? Was it reliable? Since it's only measuring MB, I figure it might be cheaper than using the cruiselines Internet. My husband has to be connected and last cruise racked up $300 in Internet charges

I'm positive 3G will be much more expensive than the ship's WiFi. Much more.

I'm assuming your husband needs email while on the cruise. Here's how to do it without racking up a huge WiFi bill. I would recommend using a real email application, though this should work fine using webmail in a web browser too. So, use your iPad or your own laptop computer -- NOT the ships computer.

1) log on to the WiFi

2) download emails

3) log off the WiFi

In my experience you can accomplish steps 1, 2 and 3 in two minutes or less. Next, take your time and read the emails, compose replies (if necessary)

4) log on to the WiFi

5) send replies

6) log off the WiFi

Expect steps 4 thru 6 to take around 2 to 3 minutes. Let's say you consume 5 minutes per day. Still way less than an hour for a seven day cruise.

And it's easy to practice at home, before leaving for the cruise too.

I'm positive 3G will be much more expensive than the ship's WiFi. Much more.

I'm assuming your husband needs email while on the cruise. Here's how to do it without racking up a huge WiFi bill. I would recommend using a real email application, though this should work fine using webmail in a web browser too. So, use your iPad or your own laptop computer -- NOT the ships computer.

1) log on to the WiFi

2) download emails

3) log off the WiFi

In my experience you can accomplish steps 1, 2 and 3 in two minutes or less. Next, take your time and read the emails, compose replies (if necessary)

4) log on to the WiFi

5) send replies

6) log off the WiFi

Expect steps 4 thru 6 to take around 2 to 3 minutes. Let's say you consume 5 minutes per day. Still way less than an hour for a seven day cruise.

And it's easy to practice at home, before leaving for the cruise too.

Great idea Paul

I did what you posted but had trouble getting emails sent out of the drafts

I would recommend typing your email on a document ,then pasting it to your email

You'll be paying about $.55/min. if you purchase a 100-minute Internet package (a little less if you need more time). That's about 1/3 the cost of AT&T's international roaming plan. If you pre-pay (i.e. buy it now) you'll get some bonus minutes, so it's worth it.

We always compose our e-mails on Word, copy them, then log on and paste them into Outlook ... never had a problem. We're running Windows 7 and Office 2010 ... don't know if earlier versions have any issues, but they were fine, as I remember.

I use the same approach that Paul uses with great success. I use Microsoft Outlook as my e-mail client and it takes between 1-3 minutes each time I check my e-mail. We get the free internet minutes as Platinum and never go over our free minutes. You need a good e-mail client - there are a number of good free programs available but I can't recommend.

Archived