Arriving FLL, Sailing MIA. next day - HOW TO DO IT?

ishophepays

I will be flying into FLL and staying over night. I don't know whether I should stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

I also will need to get myself from FLL to Miami the following day.

Any suggestions?

I thought maybe stay close to the airport in FLL and go back the next day to the airport and catch Carnival's shuttle at $30.pp one way but don't know if thats the best way to do it. Need advice.

We fly into FLL the day before the cruise (it's cheaper for us than MIA). We then use SAS shuttle to take us to a hotel in Miami beach ($15 pp). This time we're staying at the Marriott on Collins Ave. On Sunday morning we will take a cab from the Marriott to the POM (not sure of the cab cost). We'll use SAS to return to FLL the following Sunday. We've never stayed in FLL so I can't help you with hotels, etc. BTW, I believe SAS shuttles will take you from FLL hotel to POM. Enjoy your cruise.

Hotels are generally cheaper in the FLL area and it's usually simpler to stay near FLL and then shuttle to POM the next day. :cool: Look for hotels in the downtown/17th street area - every major chain is there - & most offer free airport shuttle and have shopping and dining options within walking distance.

As mentioned above SAS (www.ridesas.com) and others can shuttle you to POM for about $15 per person and they offer discounts for groups, families and children - they can also shuttle you back to FLL after your cruise. The ride takes about 40 minutes or so. Good luck! :)

Here is what we did on our last cruise:

• Flew into FLL and took the free hotel shuttle to the Fort Lauderdale airport LaQuinta

• Next morning took the SAS shuttle (there were 5 of us for $13 per person) to the port of Miami

• After the cruise, SAS picked us up at the port and for $13 per person took us to FLL in record time!

I'd do it all again if I were cruising out of Miami.

I will be flying into FLL and staying over night. I don't know whether I should stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

I also will need to get myself from FLL to Miami the following day.

Any suggestions?

I thought maybe stay close to the airport in FLL and go back the next day to the airport and catch Carnival's shuttle at $30.pp one way but don't know if thats the best way to do it. Need advice.

I always rent from Alamo at FLL, then drop at MIA and take their free shuttle to the port. That way I can stay anywhere I want away from FLL and Port Everglades where hotels are less expensive and I have the freedom to go where I want, when I want. Note that this service and free shuttle will be moving from MIA to a new Downtown rental facility any day now as soon as they get all their permits.

I did this last week and my total cost for a midsize car with taxes and fees was $27. And that was for two people.

I always rent from Alamo at FLL, then drop at MIA and take their free shuttle to the port. That way I can stay anywhere I want away from FLL and Port Everglades where hotels are less expensive and I have the freedom to go where I want, when I want. Note that this service and free shuttle will be moving from MIA to a new Downtown rental facility any day now as soon as they get all their permits.

I did this last week and my total cost for a midsize car with taxes and fees was $27. And that was for two people.

Did you have a promo code? One that anyone could use?

Did you have a promo code? One that anyone could use?

That was the weekend rate (picked up on Sunday, returned on Monday), but I might have gotten a small discount for having an account for their loyalty program, Alamo Insiders.

I did the same thing at the end of the cruise for 4 days picking up on Friday and returning yesterday for $16.67 per day plus taxes and fees which came to about $109 for the four days.

If you list a partner such as Southwest Airlines they will charge an extra $1.50 per day, but I think that's worth the 1/2 credit I'll get with Southwest. The last rental I did use the Southwest Rapid Rewards promo and got triple credit.

http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewards/rr_promotions.html

• Flew into FLL and took the free hotel shuttle to the Fort Lauderdale airport LaQuinta
  • Next morning took the SAS shuttle (there were 5 of us for $13 per person) to the port of Miami
  • After the cruise, SAS picked us up at the port and for $13 per person took us to FLL in record time!

How did you get the rate for only $13pp? We have a family of 6, so I'll take any discount I can get!

How did you get the rate for only $13pp? We have a family of 6, so I'll take any discount I can get!

Standard discount offered by SAS (www.ridesas.com) for families and groups of 4 or larger. Just let Steve at SAS know when and where and he will respond with a quote. Good luck! :)

Approximately how long is the ride from FLL to the Miami port?

Do they pick you up when YOU want or on an hourly schedule or what?

Thanks!

Fll to POM is about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and time of day. If you are asking about SAS, you will make a reservation for a pick up time at both FLL and POM after your cruise. I used SAS and they called me to let me know they were waiting for me while I was waiting for my baggage. On return to POM just call and let them know when you are clearing customs and they will pick you up in front of the terminal.

Fll to POM is about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and time of day. If you are asking about SAS, you will make a reservation for a pick up time at both FLL and POM after your cruise. I used SAS and they called me to let me know they were waiting for me while I was waiting for my baggage. On return to POM just call and let them know when you are clearing customs and they will pick you up in front of the terminal.

Thank you for the response. I guess I wasn't clear enough. We would be staying at a hotel in FLL because it's cheaper and would need SAS to pick us up from our hotel in FLL and take us to the port in Miami. Do you think they would just come whenever we wanted them to?

Agreed. We flew into FLL and stayed at a local hotel that had free shuttle from airport, then used SAS to get to Port of Miami, and from there to FLL airport on cruise return. Very pleasant experience, I would do it again.

ETA: SAS is very flexible on pickup times, but depending on the size of your party, there may be more than one pickup in the FLL area before heading to Miami. I got a cell phone number, just called when we were out front and ready to go.

Archived