Currency in Mexico

Any one just back from Mexico on the Dream? We go on 24/2 I have just had call from Thomson's travel agent telling me that no currency is accepted in Mexico other than the Mexican Peso. What currency were you able to use? Don't want to have to take different currencies unless I really need !

Any one just back from Mexico on the Dream? We go on 24/2 I have just had call from Thomson's travel agent telling me that no currency is accepted in Mexico other than the Mexican Peso. What currency were you able to use? Don't want to have to take different currencies unless I really need !

Went on the Thomson excursion from Cozumel to the Mayan Ruins at Tulum. There all prices were displayed in US$ and we even paid for the land train from the commercial bit (shops, stalls, cafes etc) to the ruins (2$ each). We bought some souvenirs in $ - didn't have any Mexican currency at all.

We caught to the ferry from the mainland back to Cozumel at Playa del Carmen which was a very touristy place - lots of shops and all prices again displayed in $. Not sure what the situation was in Cozumel iself as we didn't have time to look around there - but we never gave Mexican money a thought!

Dollars are fine in that part of Mexico - you can even get them from the cash machines there

Make sure you have sterling (or any major currency except US dollars) for Cuba

Archived