Orlando to Port Canaveral and back?

millerboy88

The wife and I will be flying into Orlando for our upcoming April cruise. I wanted to ask; what is the best way to get from the Airport to the Port. We are flying in early morning on the same day as the cruise. Also will need a ride back from the Port to the airport after we debark. I understand it is about a hour drive. I have looked into the "Carnival" transfer and it is $35.00 per person both going and coming ($140.00) total. Is this a reasonable price for the transport? Is there a better/cheaper way to get to and from. I looked on the Florida ports board and there was not much activity going on there, so I decided to post here. Thank you all for any info. Need to get the planning underway LOL:confused:

We rented a car one-way, it cost approx. $50 but we flew in the day before. The rental car companies have drop off locations near the port or a little south in Cocoa Beach and they will shuttle you to the port. Going back to the airport we used the Carnival shuttle; although it was convenient, it was a little bit annoying to have to sit in the bus waiting for it to fill up....

I would highly recommend flying in the day before your cruise though. Especially considering the long distance between the airport and the cruise port.

I agree with the flying in a day early, as well. The traffic from Orlando to Cocoa is never dependable. Meaning, April, warmer weather, beaches are open and the traffic could be terrible. I have also heard that there is a bridge out and you are being detoured, but I do not know for sure. We usually are going closer to Patrick AFB, instead of the ports and we jump off at a crossroad and event hat can be slow due to traffic going to the beaches.:p

We booked with cruisexpressfla. I was happy with the service, it's $20 per person each way, and Wanda is very on top of everything going on. The vans they use are nice and comfortable, and they're very prompt. I wouldn't use the cruise ship shuttles, they're overpriced, and you have to wait a long time, and then you arrive at the port with 70 other people at the same time.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I went on my cruise in January, we left from NY, flew out the same day, and we were on the ship by 11:30. I've never flown out early, and I never missed the ship.

millerboy, I would stay with some sort of shuttle company.

It wouldn't be worth it for you flying in the same morning and renting a car.

Also, although I have never used Carrnival transfers, I hear it can be slow. But for you it may be just what you want unless you arrive too early, not sure you want to wait around at an airport for a shuttle ride.

Best bet - private transfer. Plenty around. And the cost will be about the same as Carnival.

You will appreciate the private transfer on return trip.

Thanks, Yeah, I believe it makes it tougher for us since it is only the 2 of us. Getting a Private Transfer might be too expensive. We are arriving pretty early as well; arrival time is 8:15 a.m.. So we might have to wait around awhile with a Carnival Transfer or any other transfer service that has a bus that has to be filled up

forget CCL transfers....google a shuttle service....it will either be cheaper or about the same and you will either be just the 2 of you or may only a few others..but doubt it.

I have read here that the CCL shuttles wait until they fill up before they move......go the private route...forget CCL

Thanks, Yeah, I believe it makes it tougher for us since it is only the 2 of us. Getting a Private Transfer might be too expensive. We are arriving pretty early as well; arrival time is 8:15 a.m.. So we might have to wait around awhile with a Carnival Transfer or any other transfer service that has a bus that has to be filled up

no no no...the private drivers like to drive only 2 pax....get online and look for a limo service...people travel in pairs all the time and the drivers want to get jobs..so stop and start googling....go the private driver route

btw...nothing is early for a limo driver...they want these kind of gigs...so they can make the bucks before they have to go to their regular jobs...

I agree with the flying in a day early, as well. The traffic from Orlando to Cocoa is never dependable. Meaning, April, warmer weather, beaches are open and the traffic could be terrible. I have also heard that there is a bridge out and you are being detoured, but I do not know for sure. We usually are going closer to Patrick AFB, instead of the ports and we jump off at a crossroad and event hat can be slow due to traffic going to the beaches.:p

Bridge in Merritt Island area is due to be back open mid Feb. So should not be a concern for too much longer. Detour consists of getting off exit and then getting right back on again.

We rented a car for about $50 or so, had it the Friday before and returned it the morning before we cruised. The car was a much better choice for us because we were able to do a little last minute shopping. We also used it to drive around the Cocoa Beach area to grab some dinner the night before. Well worth it. When we returned there was a woman with a van charging $60 for 2 people to Orlando, we took the offer.

We have put the retal car in our options as well, but prefer someone else driving LOL!! I will do a search and see what I come up with. Most of the shuttles I have seen are about the same price as the Carnival Transfer, and most say that it depends on the number of passengers that have booked with them as to what type of transportation would be used. I am assuming if not many people had booked then it would be a small van, if a lot of people were booked it would be a bus, in which we would have to wait for it to be filled

Carnival told me their first bus leaves at noon. I recommended cruisexpressfla to you, but their first van leaves around 10:30, Wanda said it was because they wanted to get people out before they let new people in. We got to Orlando about 9:30, so we did have to wait a little bit, but it wasn't a big deal for us. Our van only had one other couple besides us. She has it timed so that you don't have to wait very long, she knows when the flight comes in and if it will be delayed, etc. Plus, the vans are very comfortable.

Carnival told me their first bus leaves at noon. I recommended cruisexpressfla to you, but their first van leaves around 10:30, Wanda said it was because they wanted to get people out before they let new people in. We got to Orlando about 9:30, so we did have to wait a little bit, but it wasn't a big deal for us. Our van only had one other couple besides us. She has it timed so that you don't have to wait very long, she knows when the flight comes in and if it will be delayed, etc. Plus, the vans are very comfortable.

Ok thanks, I may try her then, I am just not interested in waiting for a bus load to fill up before we leave, plus all those people getting off at one time. So she provided vans and not busses? thanks

Soozles,

did you use Wanda for the trip back to the Airport as well?

Soozles,

did you use Wanda for the trip back to the Airport as well?

Yep, used her for the trip back as well. My flight back was at noon, and we were at the airport at about 9 am. She uses vans, it's actually not their own shuttles, it's a shared ride service, or something like that. So the car that came for us wasn't marked with their logo, it was a black TLC van type of thing, but very comfy seats (I know, I fell asleep on the ride). She also gives you her cell phone, and it's not a problem to call her when you land. We accidentally walked past her at the airport and couldn't find her. We called her, and she came out to where we were and led us back to the waiting area. When we arrived back at the port after the cruise, one of the other workers was waiting for us, and it was very easy to find her. I remember it being a bit chilly, and we were waiting for another couple, so she called the van to pick up the couple of us that were already there so we can wait in the van where it was warmer (the vans and shuttles are not allowed to wait at the pickup area, they wait at a separate area). I definitely have no complaints from using her service, but if you're arriving that early, I would call and ask what time is the earliest car to the port, you might have time to get yourselves a nice breakfast at the airport while you're waiting.

Yep, used her for the trip back as well. My flight back was at noon, and we were at the airport at about 9 am. She uses vans, it's actually not their own shuttles, it's a shared ride service, or something like that. So the car that came for us wasn't marked with their logo, it was a black TLC van type of thing, but very comfy seats (I know, I fell asleep on the ride). She also gives you her cell phone, and it's not a problem to call her when you land. We accidentally walked past her at the airport and couldn't find her. We called her, and she came out to where we were and led us back to the waiting area. When we arrived back at the port after the cruise, one of the other workers was waiting for us, and it was very easy to find her. I remember it being a bit chilly, and we were waiting for another couple, so she called the van to pick up the couple of us that were already there so we can wait in the van where it was warmer (the vans and shuttles are not allowed to wait at the pickup area, they wait at a separate area). I definitely have no complaints from using her service, but if you're arriving that early, I would call and ask what time is the earliest car to the port, you might have time to get yourselves a nice breakfast at the airport while you're waiting.

Thanks so much for the info. I have gotten in touch with her, and she is who we will be using. Great deal in my opinion. was there a waiting area where you could wait for her, or did you have to go outside and wait? Any more details you can give would be appreciated thanks again!!

Five of us just returned from a cruise on Carnival Dream on February 5 and used Beach Line Transportation. If you like to ride with someone driving 85 mph, go with them. We arrived at the airport, boarded the van and then we were told we had to wait for another passenger who needed to board her ship by 3. We had to wait approximately 45 minutes for her flight to arrive and then the driver drove like a maniac to get her to the ship - we were scared witless. I guess time is money for them. We had decided we weren't going to use them on the return trip if the same driver showed up. It was a different driver so we went with them. Same thing, very, very fast driving and the mini-bus they used was in disrepair and the whole thing shook as we rode. I was never so glad to arrive safe and sound. The drivers were nice but I was very uncomfortable riding with them.

We use Travelynx and find them very reasonable. You said you checked the FL boards, so I don't know how you missed a huge thread about Pt Canaveral. It has tons of info.

I am enclosing a page from that thread that will be helpful to you. Start reading at post 862.

There may be more updates later in the thread, so if/when you have time, it might be helpful to read on. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the info. I have gotten in touch with her, and she is who we will be using. Great deal in my opinion. was there a waiting area where you could wait for her, or did you have to go outside and wait? Any more details you can give would be appreciated thanks again!!

She tells you where to meet her, after you pick up your bags at the airport, she says to go to the out of town shuttles I think, I forget which stops. That's where we missed her though, because we figured we would walk from the outside, and she was actually waiting inside. You don't get picked up from the out of town shuttle, you actually get to the van from the exit opposite the out of town shuttles, but it's harder to find. Anyway, just don't go outside looking for her, stay inside. There are a few wicker chairs that you can wait until it's time to go, Wanda will come and collect you when the van is leaving. But anything goes wrong, just give her a call and she will find you. That's what we did, and she led us to the chairs to sit and wait. Also, make sure you turn your phone on at the end of the cruise in case they need to contact you, the cell phone is the only way they have to do it. It was the best deal I found, and I was very happy with the service. She does say that you may have to wait up to half an hour, but obviously, that depends on what time your flight comes in and what time they get permission to start dropping people off at the port, and what time you get off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Archived