Sold Out Ships - Hypothetically Speaking...

Tink10

Hello,

We're booked in a BD GTY cabin on the 5 day Dawn Western Caribbean on March 5th. I've been checking many times a day for our cabin assignment, which I absolutely understand may not come until we check-in at the port.

I went on to NCL's site, along with several other online cruise booking sites this morning & see that the Dawn is no longer showing for the sailing on March 6th. I've been watching the available cabins for the past two weeks and all I've seen in recent days are higher level suites.

While I know the odds of me getting a suite for my little BD GTY are slim to none, I was wondering if any of you may have an opinion of what NCL would do if all of the cabins were indeed full and there was no cabin for us when we arrived at the port....Hypothetically, of course.

I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

I think I've heard of it being done in the past.... not sure about ncl... with some people receiving upsell offers to free up space. In my experience with NCL I have always gotten my cabin right away. My trip in august of 2012 I already have a cabin number.

Haven't booked a guarantee so I can't be sure, but if NCL sold you a cabin, they should definitely have one for you on sailing day. My guess is that they pulled the sailing off market today to accommodate all the guarantees, make upsell calls, etc. They usually don't do this until closer to sailing, but if your ship was tightly booked, they would do it sooner to free up whatever they have to seel from here on. You could: 1) be called for an upsell or 2) get your cabin assignment very soon, once upsells are settled and cabin freed.

Robin

Thanks to you both...

I can't even imagine being turned away at the port, but I've been a bit antsy to see where we'll end up. I'm really hoping for an upsell call, but wasn't counting on it because we're in the GTY. :)

Hello,

We're booked in a BD GTY cabin on the 5 day Dawn Western Caribbean on March 5th. I've been checking many times a day for our cabin assignment, which I absolutely understand may not come until we check-in at the port.

We've been on several NCL cruises and always got our cabin number immediately.

How did you book so as to avoid being assigned a cabin?

Hello,

I went on to NCL's site, along with several other online cruise booking sites this morning & see that the Dawn is no longer showing for the sailing on March 6th. I've been watching the available cabins for the past two weeks and all I've seen in recent days are higher level suites.

While I know the odds of me getting a suite for my little BD GTY are slim to none, I was wondering if any of you may have an opinion of what NCL would do if all of the cabins were indeed full and there was no cabin for us when we arrived at the port....Hypothetically, of course.

You will have a cabin, no need to worry. That gty only says you will get your cat or beter, it doesn't say you won't get a cabin. As for upgrades, that is anyone's guess. It used to be believed the longer it took to get your cabin assignment the better, this doesn't seem to always hold true.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Nita

When you book a guaranteed cabin you are saying I will take whatever is available in the cat I book or a higher one. It is like gambling, you have no assurance where you will be on the ship. Usually the assignment comes soon after booking, based on avail but sometimes you don't know until you arrive at the port exactly where you cabin will be. All you know is it will be as good a cat as you originally booked. Normally booking a gty is less expensive than getting a cabin assignment at the time of booking.

Nita

When you book a guaranteed cabin you are saying I will take whatever is available in the cat I book or a higher one. It is like gambling, you have no assurance where you will be on the ship. Usually the assignment comes soon after booking, based on avail but sometimes you don't know until you arrive at the port exactly where you cabin will be. All you know is it will be as good a cat as you originally booked. Normally booking a gty is less expensive than getting a cabin assignment at the time of booking.

Nita

Now that's something I didn't know!

Many thanks.

smile-42.gif

My one requirement for this cruise was that I had to have a balcony. We really don't care where we are on the ship, so I went with the GTY & NCL assigns us a cabin, I'm assuming, based on what's left over.

We have no preference on which deck or which part of the ship and I actually think the enclosed balconies of some of the BD cabins are nice...So, I saved a few $$$'s & really don't mind the gamble ;)

I've had GTY assignments given months before and also at the pier so it just depends on when they do upsells etc.. Always had at least the category that I had booked.

Spring break is starting up so that may be why your sailing is looking full. Don't worry - they will have a room for you!

Archived