Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Indiana71,

Allure . One of the interesting articles, "How to Try on Clothes". It begins, "Two things can make or break a day of shopping: the outfit you wear and the person who helps you." It goes on to say, "Wear simple clothes - a basic white or black cotton tank and pants or skirt that is easy to remove; a nude bra, preferably one that can convert to strapless, and a pair of Spanx if you're trying on dresses. Simple earrings (that won't snag clothing)."

In regards to what to wear shopping, I also stick to the neutral-colored undies, but wear a button down shirt so that my hair maintains some semblance of order when trying on stuff I have to pull over my head. I also wear low heels so I don't have to quit before I'm ready to, due to sore feet. And usually a light-weight jacket since some stores are very cool with the air-conditioning, but lighter than the outside weather would demand. And I never eat until I am completely satisfied that I am done shopping. Once I eat a meal, the shopping is over. (Get too sleepy to shop)

I love your pictures and seeing what outfits you put together, even if they're not for cruising. Keep it coming.

I agree with the above poster regarding easy on and off clothing before a shopping trip.

Yesterday I 'scored' some items and am so happy with my purchases.

My favorite would be a tunic style over the top gorgeous cobalt blue/yellow/turquoise top with easy boat neck, 3/4 length sleeve. With it, I bought a turquoise longish necklace, very simple.

Being up here it is chilly so I purchased a very pretty cowl neck black cotton sweater, 4 button detail on the cowl. Love it and I have lots of long necklaces that will go with it.

Then, I saw a velour jacket, very pretty teal mix, zipper front. Again I have items to go with it.

My mistake for this shopping trip were my wedge boots--after 2 1/2 hours, my feet were sore:rolleyes: Next time, I will wear flats!

Indiana, love seeing your photos of your outfits!:)

When my DH and I were renewing our vows a few years ago I had found a dress that I just loved.

We went to the bridal shp and i found the dress and tried it on, meanwhile while I was getting into the dress DH was looking around the store and found another dress.

When i came out of the dressing room he looked at the dress I had on and said "I don't think that will work with the ship." I was absolutely heartbroken. :(

He then handed the sales lady the dress he picked out and asked me to put it on so I did.

It was absolutely beautiful and I fell in love with it!!

When i came out the look on his face said it all! He even had tears in his eyes.

He looked at me and said please take this one. So I did.

We found out later that they had it in my size and that that one was on sale 1/2 off. So with the sale price and the coupon I had at the time I got the most gorgeous dress for $225.00!!

Gotta love saavy shopping husbands.:D

These are pictures of my dress at the Vow renewal.

Gerry

Great dress and that is fantastic!!! :)

Yesterday was my daughter's turn to get her outfits for the cruise! We went to Forever 21, Aeropostale, Charming Charlie and then Macy's. Got some very great deals for her. At Macy's it was a "One-Day Sale" but as I was checking out she asked "Do you need to have these this weekend?" I replied "No," and she told me that she could pre-sell it to me for an extra 25% off because Wednesday they were having a really big sale. I just couldn't get them until Wednesday! I said Yes of course and now we get to go pick them up - and I figured I'd shop some more to see how good of a sale it really is!

Love the outfits Indiana! I hope to do a photo post when I'm done with mine. Yours always look great and put together!

Yesterday was my daughter's turn to get her outfits for the cruise! We went to Forever 21, Aeropostale, Charming Charlie and then Macy's.

snip

Love Charming Charlies! I ended up getting a couple of necklace and earring sets from them to go with the [new] dresses I took on my last cruise. I found that they had lovely nautically-themed items in both orange-coral hues and blue-turquoise hues. They looked perfect with my outfits! :)

Love Charming Charlies! I ended up getting a couple of necklace and earring sets from them to go with the [new] dresses I took on my last cruise. I found that they had lovely nautically-themed items in both orange-coral hues and blue-turquoise hues. They looked perfect with my outfits! :)

My daughter got a great coral collar style necklace - meaning looks like coral, but it's all in gold. And then some gold shells with blue and coral colored shell beads hanging from it! I might have to go back... :) I saw some super cute starfish, sea horse, anchors etc. I will pull out my shirts and see what I can find!

I love this thread!

Wish I could post pics to it from my iPhone like I can to Facebook.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

Does cruise critic have an app to make posting like this easier?

I have assembled all my things for my first cruise in March in my spare room.

Tomorrow plan to start taking pics of my outfits.

I'm not a spreadsheet person, but plan to have each days outfits posted to my phone for reference! Love to post pics but it seems like such a lt of trouble here.

Maybe I am just making it feel hard...but I am dying to play dress up and post!

Terry

Which reminds me...sorry I forgot to comment on that formal dress story Gerry...that dress is the most beautiful thing and you look just lovely in it!

Indiana, love your clothes...you have a neat and classic style that suits you so well...everything is so very well put together. Love this mix of Goodwill, Walmart and classy Talbots stuff. I just love finding bargains wherever!

I was at DSW yesterday with a boatload of coupons....bought three pairs of shoes and the most darling black and gold evening bag. Well the shoes are blingy sandals. One pair has turquoise and coral beading, with thong and small heel to go with a Chicos dress I have that is coral and turquoise.

Another pair has sort of pale rose gold bling at the front, thong slip on with little heel for evening. I plan to wear these with a pair of nude and black lace pants at dinner with a black crochet duster...very Chanel looking...

The third pair are flats with a little back that zips up. Also bling at the frontl, I was just in that mood. I probably didn't need this pair....but I thought for sea days and walking around the ship I would need a flat dressy sandal.

Can already see I'm taking too many shoes. I'm at five pairs now for a ten day cruise.. Someone stop me!

Terry

Edited by Terryd444

Oh good, other people are buying this week too!:o

We haven't booked a cruise YET but I've gotten two great dresses this week on Ebay for really low prices and both brand new. One is long and flowy and the other is cocktail length with a satin finish.

Since the colors are similar I can wear the same shoes for both dresses. Maybe red. I have red strappy sandals and red pumps. Now if I can just accessorize as well as you all do!:)

118379896_EllenTracydress.jpg.9097eb9e8534b9348b0022277cb3c879.jpg

1573262385_blusagedress.jpg.a5d51c11d0418ec54f1bb8ddb5ca86e7.jpg

802206388_Blusage2.jpg.10dcddc71594da6b808946f3b4e1dbb2.jpg

Edited by jkudzu

I love this thread!

Wish I could post pics to it from my iPhone like I can to Facebook.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

Does cruise critic have an app to make posting like this easier?

You can download the tapatalk app to post from you iphone. I've never posted pics, but it does have the option.

Terry, the picture worked great, and I love how all that comes together!

I am always so happy to see others posting pictures, giving thought to their outfits and so forth. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who does that.

It is really worthwhile when someone you don't know stops you and tells you they like what you are wearing.

Test picture!

Gold Chicos sweater, gold and turquoise necklace bought at Nordstrom several years ago......and adorable little evening bag found at DSW this week.

Hope the size pic works!!

Terry[ATTACH]261842[/ATTACH]

Glad the app worked for you - the picture (and outfit) look great!

Our 200+ photos arrived Saturday and I've been working on the scrapbook. All my journal entries go in, too; so it takes a couple days to complete - but it's like reliving The Last Cruise all over again:cool:.

Yesterday the weather here was BEAUTIFUL - sunshine and mid 40's (that's warm for this time of year!!). I left the house right after breakfast, took most of the cruise clothes to the dry cleaner (and implored him to be kind - these are my favorite things:rolleyes:). Then Starbucks, the mall (doesn't take long to go through the stores there) and TJ Maxx...

...I better start putting outfits together for The Next Cruise OR I'll start buying anything that looks remotely tropical:eek:!

Happy to see all the posts here.

betty em: You're right! Wearing a button-down shirt is more practical than something that goes over my head. How many times I've gotten makeup on a turtleneck!

And eating after shopping - another great point. Once we sit down and have a meal, we lose momentum and often feel full. And feeling full translates to "I look fat in that...."

murfturf: Charming Charlie's! Once we open our summer house, that "charming" store is an hour away. In a couple weeks I will check out the nautical-themed jewelry. Thanks Sassy Chassis, for letting us know that little detail!

By then, many of my outfits will be planned and a list compiled of What Is Needed.

Lucky you! Macy's sales are always money savers!

Terryd444: Following your posts, I'm pleased to see someone could help you with pictures. My knowledge is severely limited! Looking forward to seeing more of your ensembles. The sweater, necklace and adorable evening bag is a lovely combination.

A true CCF, you are indeed:). Buying shoes is a trademark activity...and packing several pairs is part of the fun.

jkudzu: The Boy Scout motto works here: "Be Prepared". Even though you haven't booked a cruise YET, you will have a head start! The second dress looks exactly like one in my Cruise Closet. The bright Caribbean colors make us happy and yearning to be on our way to a tropical paradise:cool:.

Oh good, other people are buying this week too!:o

We haven't booked a cruise YET but I've gotten two great dresses this week on Ebay for really low prices and both brand new. One is long and flowy and the other is cocktail length with a satin finish.

Since the colors are similar I can wear the same shoes for both dresses. Maybe red. I have red strappy sandals and red pumps. Now if I can just accessorize as well as you all do!:)

[ATTACH]261824[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]261825[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]261826[/ATTACH]

I love both of these dresses but could only find the short one on Ebay in a larger size than I need....maybe you have a clue on how I could find it???

lovestx: Sorry I can't help with finding the short dress. Mine came from Penney's 2 years ago...

Ordering First, Trying on Later - My order arrived from Land's End. The tankini fits just right and now that I have a black swimsuit bottom, I could have a different top.

The Dress...fits nicely. The wraparound style suits me and there's plenty of wrap so not concerned with modesty.

The issue is with the sleeve style - a wee bit puffy with a band at the hem (IMHO - little girlish). I didn't look at EVERY bit of the dress before ordering. IF I had tried it on in a store, probably wouldn't have made the purchase because of the sleeve style...BUT I like everything else. It's red and white, very happy.

My wonderful Alterations Lady might be able to "unpuff" the sleeves...calling her now.

Hi all! Finally getting a chance to check in after my Oasis cruise last week. I unfortunately did not get all the pictures I had hoped to (including none of my most favorite dress and DD's outfit to go with!!!! I blame margaritas for that failure). After I go through and get all our pictures organized this weekend, I'll be sure to share the ones we did get. I'm still kicking myself for not being better about it!

Adding a quick, funny story! On the 2nd night DH and I went out to a specialty restaurant on formal night and left DD with my parents. We went to get a pre-dinner slice of pizza in our dress clothes and the server behind the counter called us "Brangelina" ha! We were flattered. :)

Edited by arom729

arom729: Welcome Back!!:) We're looking forward to seeing photos. Every time we return, I think, "shoulda taken more pictures!! ...Margaritas, Pina Coladas, etc. have a way of interfering with the best intentions...

Did your daughter like Oasis? Did she spend much time at Adventure Ocean. Our cruise is getting close to the 99 Days To Go mark and grandkids are looking forward to it.