Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

We've talked DIY or Pro manicures many pages back, but didn't take a poll RE gel nails.

My DIY mani didn't look very good at the end of the last 7 night cruise - dull and chipped:(. Getting a pro mani for The Next Cruise is a given BUT - Should I skip the old-fashioned polish and go for gel???? Is a trip to the salon necessary to have it removed? Will the entire process damage my already sad-looking nails? I don't want acrylics for sure.

My nails are short (you can see a sliver of the tip of my fingers), and they split if allowed to get any longer...

You knowledgeable CCFs are the best advice givers!! Please give me your opinions:cool:. The Next Cruise is 15 weeks away...but we all know advance planning is part of the Cruise Experience!

Yoiu should definitely try getting a SHELLAC manicure (by CND) - lasts and looks wonderful for at least 2 weeks - I had some done for my trip to Mexico on feb 2nd - and I think I shall have to get them off today! (okay they are looking crappy now) - but it is great for a cruise or any holiday.

You can get them off on your own - but it does take a bit of work...and my nails actually look better once the shellac is off!

We've talked DIY or Pro manicures many pages back, but didn't take a poll RE gel nails.

My DIY mani didn't look very good at the end of the last 7 night cruise - dull and chipped:(. Getting a pro mani for The Next Cruise is a given BUT - Should I skip the old-fashioned polish and go for gel???? Is a trip to the salon necessary to have it removed? Will the entire process damage my already sad-looking nails? I don't want acrylics for sure.

My nails are short (you can see a sliver of the tip of my fingers), and they split if allowed to get any longer...

You knowledgeable CCFs are the best advice givers!! Please give me your opinions:cool:. The Next Cruise is 15 weeks away...but we all know advance planning is part of the Cruise Experience!

I don't have very long nails either, but, I do like for them to look nice! The salon I go to offered OPI Axxium, and I got it in a neutral pink color, called "Bubble Bath", and my nails looked great for the entire trip! I went back to the salon for the removal, then a good manicure, and my nails weren't in bad shape at all. Go for it!!

Hi all! Finally getting a chance to check in after my Oasis cruise last week. I unfortunately did not get all the pictures I had hoped to (including none of my most favorite dress and DD's outfit to go with!!!! I blame margaritas for that failure). After I go through and get all our pictures organized this weekend, I'll be sure to share the ones we did get. I'm still kicking myself for not being better about it!

Adding a quick, funny story! On the 2nd night DH and I went out to a specialty restaurant on formal night and left DD with my parents. We went to get a pre-dinner slice of pizza in our dress clothes and the server behind the counter called us "Brangelina" ha! We were flattered. :)

Oh No! Does that mean we don't get to see you in the white dress? Can't wait to see all you pictures. Oh, by the way, check out Old Navy right now, they have some nautical inspired crop pants! Blue pants with green anchors, and khaki pants with pink lobsters! Cute!!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=92856&vid=1&pid=389326012

Rather than me repeat what had been "done to death", I suggest typing Shellac or gel nails into the search facility as there has been some major discussion on it in recent times in standalone threads.

Celticgirl, I would like to thank you soooo much for the advice you gave me about getting the Shellac nails. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!! I found a salon here in Yuma that is CND certified (or whatever it is called) and Sherri did a fabulous job on them! She even let me know that I hadn't gotten a fungus under my nails from the acrylics but that I did have a lot of damage from them and we are working at getting my nails(paper thin and very easily ripped not broken nails) fixed. I go in every week for now until we can get them straightened out then it will be every 2 weeks after that.

So once again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for getting me on the right path!!:D I soo appreciate it.

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Hi everyone!! We've been back from our cruise for a couple of weeks and I'm just uploading pictures tonight. Hopefully I got some decent ones of some outfits to share :)

For Indiana's question - I had a regular spa pedicure done the week before my cruise and other then regrowth, it still looks great. But my hands are another story - personally, if you want them to last, I'd go with the gel.

For Indiana71 question-I have just regular acrylic nails and after each fill in I put a coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip top coat. It comes in a red bottle. I swear by it! The polish does not chip or wear off. I sometimes add another coat just to boost up the shine.

Ha! Is any subject here ever "done to death?" Not really, and that's what makes these boards so much fun to read. And you never have to chime in on a topic you're tired of hearing about. ;)

Absolutely, although I was talking about me doing it do death again not the subject itself, however saying that, as a resident expert in something you sometimes get tired typing it all again and again when a quick reference to the search button will help find it;).

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Celticgirl, I would like to thank you soooo much for the advice you gave me about getting the Shellac nails. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!! I found a salon here in Yuma that is CND certified (or whatever it is called) and Sherri did a fabulous job on them! She even let me know that I hadn't gotten a fungus under my nails from the acrylics but that I did have a lot of damage from them and we are working at getting my nails(paper thin and very easily ripped not broken nails) fixed. I go in every week for now until we can get them straightened out then it will be every 2 weeks after that.

So once again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for getting me on the right path!!:D I soo appreciate it.

Gerry

Aw bless your heart Gerry, you are very very welcome and glad you "converted" to Shellac, you will see a huge difference in your nails as time goes on. What colors are you liking so far?

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: I appreciate your remark RE subjects "done to death". On other threads (not so much this one!) if a topic goes on for awhile, i.e., "Where to Stay the Night Before", when I have no interest - it gets monotonous.

Because I wasn't previously thinking about gel/shellac, I needed a refresher.

Thanks to all who offer an opinion!:) My conclusion is: It's important to find a certified manicurist who can apply whatever product to your liking. In my small town, it will take a little research...no more on the subject for now...

Meanwhile, it's hard to NOT start moving all possible cruise items to the Cruise Room. Most clothes are there year-round, but jewelry and some other things are not. Don't know if I can wait a couple more weeks...Our Family Cruise is still 15 weeks away:eek::cool:

Next outfit is;

Old Navy linen pants

Old Navy white tank

Old Navy Denim Jacket (May select a cardigan because a denim jacket will probably be too warm)

Some flats jeweled sandals.

I am plus size so I have to watch what I wear :rolleyes: to make sure I don't wear something I should NOT... I don't want to be THAT person on the cruise lol/

womens-denim-jackets-dark-worn.jpg.403559e9263c8490477d873f1b1beb46.jpg

644219464ac61cebc3ca4b7b57936907.jpg.603e720457f395e96cb51f3246557409.jpg

womens-knit-waistband-linen-pants-briquette.jpg.00d7bb2609ef35f18567b39903e87fd4.jpg

Edited by Briitini

Britini: Thanks for sharing your outfits! Nice:). I agree, too, about high heels.

QUESTION for all CCFs: Do you wear shoes more for comfort OR for style? Ideallly, we would all choose comfort and style. But do you ever sacrifice style for comfort or comfort for style?

Edited by indiana71

Just about 2 years ago I developed RA and it started in my feet (esp. near the toes and balls of my feet.) I had to trade in my high heels for kitten or flats. I do try to make sure the shoes are cute as well as comfortable. It's not always easy though. :)

I buy fashionable shoes ONLY if they are comfortable right out of the box. Gave up long ago buying shoes that would "break in" since they never did.

But I also have a hard to fit foot (10/10-1/2 wide with very high instep) so most shoes in those sizes by default are made for comfort not style. So sad, I have foot envy whenever I'm with friends/family who can walk into any shoe store and buy shoes. So not fair.

These are my latest purchase, for my son's wedding next week. Wanted open toe but closed worked best with the long dress. And I tried on about 50 pairs!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/j-renee-affair-pump/3223294?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=GOLD&resultback=0

I wouldn't buy a shoe that literally crippled me but I would prefer style over comfort when "dressed up" and more comfort but still stylish if running errands. I have to say some of the most uncomfortable shoes I have are Prada so I stopped buying them after a while.

I have beautiful beautiful shoes that I tend to just admire these days rather than wear. I had a passion for high end (European) designer shoes and purses and thought nothing of buying 2 or 3 pairs at a time when I couldn't decide. I guess it was an investment of sorts as some of them are timeless styles so don't age and I still have them all boxed up in dust covers etc..

My Florida lifestyle doesn't allow me to wear them much but my social circle until about 4 years did so this is why I choose style over comfort, ask me again in 10 years when I am comfortably in my 50s and my answer will change I am sure. At the minute I live in flats during the day at work and a heel in the evening if we go out.

I think shoes say so much about a person. I used to travel on the tube into the City of London which is the main financial/banking district, a city within a city and you would see all the high flying bankers with their gorgeous and very expensive Saville row suits, handmade shirts, lovely ties, cuff links and then the scruffiest/scuffed shoes that a lick of polish would not have done any harm. Guess they were going for comfort over style!!!!!