Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hi new to the forum, leaving for a Western Caribbean cruise on Sunday. Been packed for a week (easy to do in the midwest since I am obviously not wearing shorts and sundresses right now!). Just a tip on the nail polish, I have been doing the gel nailpolishes for about a year, first started getting them in the salon at $45 every two to three weeks. Bought my own set up for just over $100 (amazon) and add a polish color once a month at $16 each. Easy to do, and it really does last at least two to 3 weeks! Stays shiny, doesnt chip and the only reason to change it is because growth at nail bed. It is really nice for vacations when you don't want to be messing with your nails.

What brand did you buy? Do you use acetone to soak them off each time? I have been thinking about doing that for a while, since it seems like a pretty basic process and it is quite an expense to do it at the salon.

starting to pack...leaving in 2 weeks...i use the ziplocks for everyday clothes, underwear, lingere etc.

usually i pack a complete outfit in one zip, but this time i am rolling instead of folding; think i might actually have a bit more room then using a zip for every outfit. i can get several pair of capris or shorts in a zip and then several ts or tops in another.

airing out the dry-cleaner bags now so i can pack the evening clothes next weekend.

still deciding on the shoes

my biggest thing was what jewelry to take, i have so much and LOVE it all.....finally decided and its all packed--definitely need a carry-on just for that.....lol....i will put half of it in my personal carry-on and half in hubbys that way not so much 'compacted' metal that gets me stopped at security most of the time.

HAPPY PACKING to all of those cruising or taking trips soon!

Hi! I use the cnd shellac, because it comes in bottles with brush attached just like nail polish. I use acetone on a cotton ball and wrap it on fingernail with aluminum foil for only 5 minutes, then the polish scrapes off with an orange stick. Opi takes 15 minutes to soak off. Don't buy the expensive uv light to cure. Any that you find on ebay or amazon will work. I paid $25 for mine and it works great! The instructions for cnd shellac are on the website and are easy to follow, also all you need to remove the tacky layer is rubbing alcohol.

starting to pack...leaving in 2 weeks...i use the ziplocks for everyday clothes, underwear, lingere etc.

usually i pack a complete outfit in one zip, but this time i am rolling instead of folding; think i might actually have a bit more room then using a zip for every outfit. i can get several pair of capris or shorts in a zip and then several ts or tops in another.

airing out the dry-cleaner bags now so i can pack the evening clothes next weekend.

still deciding on the shoes

my biggest thing was what jewelry to take, i have so much and LOVE it all.....finally decided and its all packed--definitely need a carry-on just for that.....lol....i will put half of it in my personal carry-on and half in hubbys that way not so much 'compacted' metal that gets me stopped at security most of the time.

HAPPY PACKING to all of those cruising or taking trips soon!

I too always put my clothes in ziplocks. I was sure glad that I do because on one of our trips something in someone elses bag must have broke open and got all over the surrounding bags. We had some type of talcum powder caked all over one of our suitcases when it arrived. A small amount did get through to the inside but since the clothes were ziplocked they stayed clean.

I cruise in a few weeks and while I have 'staged' some of my clothes I have not packed anything. I need to get cracking!

Have a GREAT cruise !!!

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Hi! I use the cnd shellac, because it comes in bottles with brush attached just like nail polish. I use acetone on a cotton ball and wrap it on fingernail with aluminum foil for only 5 minutes, then the polish scrapes off with an orange stick. Opi takes 15 minutes to soak off. Don't buy the expensive uv light to cure. Any that you find on ebay or amazon will work. I paid $25 for mine and it works great! The instructions for cnd shellac are on the website and are easy to follow, also all you need to remove the tacky layer is rubbing alcohol.

Thanks!

Dee70: Welcome to CCF! We love great suggestions here and the cnd gel nails sounds like a keeper:)!

STARFISH*4: Choosing jewelry could sound trite to a non-CCF...but we know better! Jewelry is the icing on the cake, the bubbles in the champagne, the....you know what I mean!

ROLLING VS FOLDING: This is new to me. I understand using ZipLoc bags & agree that it's a great idea. BUT - the whole rolling up of shorts, Capris, tops, etc. is scary to me:eek:.

Perhaps as a test I will take various clothing items to roll & place in a suitcase. And then take those same items and fold into the same suitcase - just to see if there's a space difference. But my biggest concern is with wrinkles.

Since we won't be flying to a cruise port in the near future, I'll most likely stick with folding.

I too always put my clothes in ziplocks. I was sure glad that I do because on one of our trips something in someone elses bag must have broke open and got all over the surrounding bags. We had some type of talcum powder caked all over one of our suitcases when it arrived. A small amount did get through to the inside but since the clothes were ziplocked they stayed clean.

I cruise in a few weeks and while I have 'staged' some of my clothes I have not packed anything. I need to get cracking!

Have a GREAT cruise !!!

that has happened to us on a return trip home before i started using the zips....someones booze opened up and one of our bags was soaked and went into the inside...dirty clothes smelling of booze.....glad everything came out fine tho.

your avatar doggie looks like mine...in a head shot she passes for a Lab but is a GREAT DANE-i miss my KESSE the most when we cruise-its hard to be away from her:(

Edited by STARFISH*4

STARFISH*4: Choosing jewelry could sound trite to a non-CCF...but we know better! Jewelry is the icing on the cake, the bubbles in the champagne, the....you know what I mean!

ROLLING VS FOLDING: This is new to me. I understand using ZipLoc bags & agree that it's a great idea. BUT - the whole rolling up of shorts, Capris, tops, etc. is scary to me:eek:.

Perhaps as a test I will take various clothing items to roll & place in a suitcase. And then take those same items and fold into the same suitcase - just to see if there's a space difference. But my biggest concern is with wrinkles.

Since we won't be flying to a cruise port in the near future, I'll most likely stick with folding.

i keep finding more jewelry i think i NEED to take.....lol...

i know that so many fold when they pack and i thought i would TRY it this time.....this cruise is a gonna be alot of 'trials' for my 3 week cruise next year--next month is 2 weeks.

i think i will have a few more wrinkles, but with the port/sea day clothes i can live with a few of those; and if they are so bad i will have to break down and request an iron and press:eek:but i doubt that it will come to that!

i was even thinking of rolling and putting the clothes in the cleaner bags-less bulk then the zips...that is always another option.

i know that alot of the packing tips do show rolling of the clothes, but not putting into zips or wrapping in the bags (which i feel protects the clothes, and if they have to get touched by 'other' hands they are in bags.

my bags are smaller this time, to easy to go overweight and have to worry with the bigger size bags, just hope it all fits.........if not we will just take a few of hubby's things out.........lol....a girl NEEDs her clothes and stuff:D

Welcome & Hi Dee70, Starfish*4 & Lovesdogs

Will be searching for Shellac when we get home! Thanks for the info :-)

Leave on Tuesday ......... almost finished packing. One check-beg closes ....... fingers crossed the second one will too ........

Bon voyage to those sailing soon & Happy Sunday everyone:-)

And thank you all for your great suggestions!!!!

Aileen

that has happened to us on a return trip home before i started using the zips....someones booze opened up and one of our bags was soaked and went into the inside...dirty clothes smelling of booze.....glad everything came out fine tho.

your avatar doggie looks like mine...in a head shot she passes for a Lab but is a GREAT DANE-i miss my KESSE the most when we cruise-its hard to be away from her:(

At least your unfortunate luggage accident happened to you on your trip home. Would have been awful to be stuck in a small cabin with a stinky suitcase.

That is so funny because from a head shot my Chewie CAN pass as a lab too but in real life she is definitely not lab - she is a Newfoundland. And the fact that I get her fur shaved down to an inch every other month makes her head shot look even more lab. She is a wonderful dog and it is so hard to leave her when I cruise. I miss her terribly when I am away.

Jeannie

Welcome & Hi Dee70, Starfish*4 & Lovesdogs

Will be searching for Shellac when we get home! Thanks for the info :-)

Leave on Tuesday ......... almost finished packing. One check-beg closes ....... fingers crossed the second one will too ........

Bon voyage to those sailing soon & Happy Sunday everyone:-)

And thank you all for your great suggestions!!!!

Aileen

Thank you so much Aileen for the welcome!

3 weeks from tomorrow and a will be CRUISING! I am so excited but still have a lot to do.

Jeannie

Edited by Loves_Dogs

At least your unfortunate luggage accident happened to you on your trip home. Would have been awful to be stuck in a small cabin with a stinky suitcase.

That is so funny because from a head shot my Chewie CAN pass as a lab too but in real life she is definitely not lab - she is a Newfoundland. And the fact that I get her fur shaved down to an inch every other month makes her head shot look even more lab. She is a wonderful dog and it is so hard to leave her when I cruise. I miss her terribly when I am away.

Jeannie

yes, at least on the way home......

see i mistook her for a lab, Newfoundlands are so COOL:cool:

~DOGS are not our WHOLE LIVES, but they do make OUR LIVES WHOLE~

yes, at least on the way home......

see i mistook her for a lab, Newfoundlands are so COOL:cool:

~DOGS are not our WHOLE LIVES, but they do make OUR LIVES WHOLE~

Love your quote! One of my favorites is from Will Rogers who said 'If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went'.

I love just about any dog but am partial to the giant breeds. Having a Great Dane you too know what it's like living with a mini-horse. Chewie is my first Newf (always had Labs in the past) and it was hard getting used to all the drool and fur. But I always rescue and she desperately needed a home so I adopted her and am so glad I did.

I have picked out all of my evening clothes for dinner and my shorts. Going to work on staging my shirts today. Only 3 more weeks and I will be cruising...YIPEE!!!

Love your quote! One of my favorites is from Will Rogers who said 'If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went'.

!

i LOVE that quote too........kess is our 3nd Dane, "NOTHING LIKE A DANE"-they are "GENTLE GIANTS"!!

i got behind on my packing, cos i was 2nd guessing choices and hubby is out of town to pick the rest of his stuff, so i will be a couple days behind....12 days and counting.....now to redecide on shoes:D HAVE FUN DECIDING and have a FANTASTIC CRUISE:)

STARFISH*4: I am so-o-o jealous of your pre-cruise anxiousness!! Even when a trip is planned to the last detail, there are always jitters that begin about a week prior. For me, they don't go away until we're safely onboard and our luggage is sitting at our stateroom door:cool:.

Because you're a CCF, you know the clothes will be right. A little last minute tweaking is inevitable, though.

Please come back after your wonderful trip and let us know how other passengers dress, what Formal Night attire consists of, and if your planning paid off.

Bon Voyage:cool::)!

i LOVE that quote too........kess is our 3nd Dane, "NOTHING LIKE A DANE"-they are "GENTLE GIANTS"!!

i got behind on my packing, cos i was 2nd guessing choices and hubby is out of town to pick the rest of his stuff, so i will be a couple days behind....12 days and counting.....now to redecide on shoes:D HAVE FUN DECIDING and have a FANTASTIC CRUISE:)

Dane's are definitely gentle giants and very beautiful dogs. The few I have had the pleasure to interact with have been very cam and well behaved. Have to agree, nothing like 'em for sure.

I am moving along slowly in my packing. Luckily I still have 3 weeks. Problem is I dont know what I will 'feel' like wearing so I tend to take too much. We bring our own scuba gear which takes up a huge amount of space so I am really limited as to how many outfits I can take.

You only have 12 more days and you get to cruise - how EXCITING! Good luck deciding on shoes, I haven't even STARTED on those:eek: yet!

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Jeannie

So excited - went to Ross this weekend. I don't usually shop there, I'm more of a TJ Maxx gal, but I decided to pop in to see what they had. I bought 6 dresses for the cruise for $75!:D Why have I never shopped there before? I got a floor length black dress with a white halter and simple beading around the empire waist for $6.99!! Surprisingly, none of the dresses look cheap, all are very classic & simple. I made sure to get things I could wear to a cocktail party, a holiday party, etc. Woo Hoo!!! Love a good bargain!

CactusGirly, That's what I call a 'result'!!!! Well done u!

My bags r packed, I'm ready to go!!!!

Everything on the list, plus a 'few' extras ........ sorry girls;-) only changed my mind about one pair of shoes!

Check in bags are in the car as we leave 6.15am . Off to bed to try n sleep........ Night, night and Happy Cruising, packing, planning to you all x

Aileen

Everything on the list, plus a 'few' extras ........ sorry girls;-) only changed my mind about one pair of shoes!

Check in bags are in the car as we leave 6.15am . Off to bed to try n sleep........ Night, night and Happy Cruising, packing, planning to you all x

Aileen

Bon Voyage! Enjoy your cruise!:)

Aileen

Try to get SOME sleep, I never can the night before. Have a GREAT cruise!

Jeannie

STARFISH*4: I am so-o-o jealous of your pre-cruise anxiousness!! Even when a trip is planned to the last detail, there are always jitters that begin about a week prior. For me, they don't go away until we're safely onboard and our luggage is sitting at our stateroom door:cool:.

Because you're a CCF, you know the clothes will be right. A little last minute tweaking is inevitable, though.

Please come back after your wonderful trip and let us know how other passengers dress, what Formal Night attire consists of, and if your planning paid off.

Bon Voyage:cool::)!

i just saw the post for the Great dresses at David's Bridal and thought oh maybe i should go over there, but decided NO i dont need anything else and no more decisions to be made on what to take. just need to get all packed up because i know when i do that i wont be changing my mind--

i do plan to do a bit more 'people' watching to see what everyone is wearing--NCL is very laid back with its FREESTYLE, but i wear a dress or skirt every nite of the cruise....i am looking forward to 'dressing up' for me cos there are not the ocassions here at home.

wish i did pack 'lite' cos its always a decision on what goes into my carry-on--i like to be covered for every type of day and evening, just in case any luggage comes up missing...we also cross-pack my hubby and i.

just had to change my personal carry-on choice cos the jewelry case is to heavy.......lol....

Dane's are definitely gentle giants and very beautiful dogs. The few I have had the pleasure to interact with have been very cam and well behaved. Have to agree, nothing like 'em for sure.

I am moving along slowly in my packing. Luckily I still have 3 weeks. Problem is I dont know what I will 'feel' like wearing so I tend to take too much. We bring our own scuba gear which takes up a huge amount of space so I am really limited as to how many outfits I can take.

You only have 12 more days and you get to cruise - how EXCITING! Good luck deciding on shoes, I haven't even STARTED on those:eek: yet!

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Jeannie

have to AGREE with you about the DANES, we feel very blessed to have found our KESSE BELLA...she will be 11 (old for a Dane) on the first of January!

it is hard deciding on what you will feel like wearing on the cruise...i have outfits planned for each and everyday plus an extra one or two...i am the

"Just Enough.....Just in Case...for ME type packer--and lately hubby has become that way too...he wants more choices:D

oh yeah Scuba stuff takes up room....good thing i dont have anything like that...hubby just takes his snorkle stuff....lucky that doesnt take up much room.

everytime i think i have the shoes i want to take, i go back and think oh but what if........

GOOD LUCK with your packing!!!

Trying to pack all of us in one large suitcase to check plus two small carryon suitcases.

You might think about this plan. With three ticketed passengers you are allowed (on most airlines) one checked bag apiece, at 45 lbs.

If you take one BIG bag it may be difficult to stay under the weight limit. Better perhaps to pack 3 smaller bags that roll perhaps for ease of transport that will easily fit under the weight limit.

If you are on on one of the carriers that charge for any checked bags then on bag carefully packed right UP to the limit might be the least expensive way to go!

CactusGirly: The only time I've seen a Ross is when we were on a tour bus in Las Vegas and one of the female passengers hollered, "Look honey, a Ross! I MUST get there!" And I had NO IDEA what that was all about:eek:! We small-town girls don't get around much...but it sure was nice for you to get great bargains! Your dresses sound beautiful:).

sarafinadh: Great tip RE luggage choices. I can only imagine how one would pack scuba gear AND all the outfits needed. Any time we can save $$, we must give it a try!

STARFISH*4: My confession: I, too, pack an extra outfit (or 2...) just in case:cool:. As long as there's room in a suitcase, it's totally justified. And in mine & DHs suitcases, there's always been space for a few more items:cool:!