Antarctica on Le Boreal

Mahogany

I am considering a trip to Antarctica with A & K on Le Boreal but am discouraged by a recent review of the ship by a passenger who said the food and service was awful. Granted, cuisine is not the primary reason for choosing an Antarctica cruise, but at those prices, one expects better. Does anyone have experience on Le Boreal or any other expedition ship to Antarctica?

• 1 month later...

My husband and I traveled lto Antarctica on the Le Boreal from Dec 17 to Jan 4, 2011 and had a wonderful time. Its a beautiful ship and the people who work on the ship were the best. I'm not sure why there were so many complaints, but those people were not the majority. We thought the food was good, our rooms were fantastic and the ship handled the rough seas really great. The expedition teams were the most intelligent and friendly people you could ever meet. We were always informed of events.

This was a trip of a lifetime and though it perhaps was not perfect, it was totally fantastic. Our lifes are forever changed for the better by the experiences of this trip.

Anyone can focus on the negatives when you travel, but we choose not to do that. Overall, I would recommend this ship/trip to anyone.

Hi. We are considering a trip to Antarctica on L'Austral, the sister ship to Le Boreal. Can tell me how many times you get off the ship on the 10 night Antarctica cruise? Was there an issue about the number of people who could get off at one time? How was that handled? Thx

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise aboard LeBoreal. Lunch is served buffet style and is very good with much to choose from. Dinner is served sit down and in a French style of small portions, somewhat exotic. The food is alright but the problem with dinner is that there is not much choice. I think the company is aware that there have been complaints.

As far as getting ashore in Antarctica. We were there last year on LeDiamant. 199 passengers, 100 at a time on the ice or zodiacs. Every day we had 2 landings or zodiac expeditions, once before lunch, once after. They were very organized and provided plenty of time ashore. I really don't think you would want more time than they provide.

LeBoreal is a beautiful ship and the crew is extremely friendly. Captain Garcia in particular is wonderful.

I too was on Le Diamant in Antarctica plus Falklands and South Georgia. My voyage was the Xmas/New Year cruise. It was an absolutely fantastic voyage and the captain Etianne Garcia who has moved to Le Boreal empowered and affected crew and passengers alike with his infectious enthusiasm for wildlife. i dont know what Le Boreal is like but If I could repeat the route I'd be aboard Le Boreal in a flash. We did some special things on Le Diamant like landing the zodiacs on an iceberg for a new years eve champagne celebration and a very special three hour landing on Cape Horn. I feel very privaledged to have been part of that special journey and yes at times it was very rough like 153 knot katabatic South Georgia winds and a 25 degree listing during it (handled safely by the captain) French and English passengers communicated quite well with each other as the voyage progressed with mime and "Franglish "if they they didnt know each others languages. The food well ... but mmm the chocolate mousse is to die for!!

I just watched a program called "the South Pole Cruise" which was aired on France 5 a couple of weeks ago. Le Boreal seemed like a fantastic ship with wonderful crews. It really makes me want to consider making the same trip. You can catch the program again on Dailymotion if you're interested.

We just returned from a cruise aboard LeBoreal. Lunch is served buffet style and is very good with much to choose from. Dinner is served sit down and in a French style of small portions, somewhat exotic. The food is alright but the problem with dinner is that there is not much choice. I think the company is aware that there have been complaints.

As far as getting ashore in Antarctica. We were there last year on LeDiamant. 199 passengers, 100 at a time on the ice or zodiacs. Every day we had 2 landings or zodiac expeditions, once before lunch, once after. They were very organized and provided plenty of time ashore. I really don't think you would want more time than they provide.

LeBoreal is a beautiful ship and the crew is extremely friendly. Captain Garcia in particular is wonderful.

I just watched a program called "the South Pole Cruise" which was aired on France 5 a couple of weeks ago. Le Boreal seemed like a fantastic ship with wonderful crews. It really makes me want to consider making the same trip. You can catch the program again on Dailymotion if you're interested.

Thank you very much for posting this link. Even though I don't understand French, the video is quite striking. I can't wait for our turn in December!

B

I am glad you enjoyed the video Ma'am. I am sure a cold summer in Antarctica will beat a warm winter in Houston. ;) Have a great voyage.

Thank you very much for posting this link. Even though I don't understand French, the video is quite striking. I can't wait for our turn in December!

B

I am glad you enjoyed the video Ma'am. I am sure a cold summer in Antarctica will beat a warm winter in Houston. ;) Have a great voyage.

Acutally, the winter in Houston is great... it's the summer that's miserable. Looking forward to the cold summer Antarctica, though. Should be a cruise to remember.

Thanks again, for the link.

BTW.. We watched a show on PBS about Antarctica last week. They were on a sailboat.. crossing Drake's Passage was a nightmare.

B

• 3 months later...
I am considering a trip to Antarctica with A & K on Le Boreal but am discouraged by a recent review of the ship by a passenger who said the food and service was awful. Granted, cuisine is not the primary reason for choosing an Antarctica cruise, but at those prices, one expects better. Does anyone have experience on Le Boreal or any other expedition ship to Antarctica?

We did Silversea to Antarctica and loved it. We are now booked to go back with Pontant on the L'Austral with our adult children in December. I figured if A & K are using them again and charging the rates that they are then it can't be all that bad. We booked direct with Pontant at a third of the price!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Travelled to Antarctica with Silversea on their expedition ship Silver Explorer in February 2012. Brilliant expedition team, marine biologist, geologists, ornithologist, botanist, historian, who doubled as our zodiac drivers and were available to answer questions almost 24/7. Lectures every sea day from these professionals added enormously to our understanding and enjoyment.

Open bridge, officers and crew happy to explain what's happening, except in rare moments requiring intense concentration.

Zodiac landings were well organised, generally at least two each day while in Antarctica. Because only 100 pax allowed to land at one time, 60 would land while others did a zodiac cruise among the icebergs. We had plenty of time on shore, the area you can explore is limited usually by inaccessible cliffs of ice and some environmentally sensitive area declared out of bounds.

All fitness levels catered for. Long, quite challenging, hikes for the very fit, not so steep walks for the almost fit and short, gentle strolls on flat ground for the less active.

All outside cabins extremely comfortable with decent sized bathrooms. Some cabins have balconies. Stewards and butlers attend to your every wish.

Guest laundry on board. Very warm parkas and backpacks provided. Rubber boots available for loan.

Delicious meals, order off menu if the choices don't suit you. All drinks included, cabin bar stocked to your requirements.

Very friendly, courteous and attentive officers and crew. Ratio of crew to passengers is about 1:1.

No "big cruise ship" style entertainment which was fine by us. A pianist, a well-stocked library both of which we appreciated and movies to watch on cabin TV, which we were too well occupied to use. No formal nights, two or three dinners where we tried to dress more smartly, especially when invited to the tables of the captain or senior officers.

Not cheap, but it has spoilt us for large ship cruising.

Archived