Normandy with a Metal Detector - Can be done?

alwayslost

OK my son who is 10 loves anything to do with the military. What he wants to do while we are in one of the private tours is actually bring a metal detector hoping to catch some remnants/pieces of war stuff. Does he even need one?

First, is he in for a huge disappointment?

Second, maybe to assuage him, I'm assuming we can buy some stuff at a reasonable price?

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Strangely, along the First World War's Western Front (a strip vaguely along the French/Belgian border) there's stacks of WW1 shells, grenades, etc which can still be found by just hunting the hedgerows - I found 4 in just 30 minutes. And each week during the ploughing season, trucks still go round collecting little piles of them left at the roadside by farmers - it's known as the Iron Harvest.

But Normany is nothing like that & I'm pretty certain that junior will be wasting his time. Much to the relief of your cruiseline & airline :D

Digging up the ground at the iconic places, such as Pointe du Hoc, or behind Omaha beach (oops, that's the American cemetery :rolleyes:) is almost certainly a no-no, around the countryside may not be such a problem but without knowing the most likely places it'd surely be a needle in a large herd of haystacks - you're looking at hundreds of sq miles.

I've seen very occasional folk with metal detectors on the beaches, don't know if they need a licence. And I don't suppose they were folks who'd packed them on a flight from the US :D

And for cruisers on a one-day visit, time is at a premium - you'd lose so much valuable time that it's really not worthwhile.

But I guess if you're planning a private tour, the guide will be able to advise better than folk on this board.

Yes, stuff can be bought.

There's a shop in Arromanches-les-Bains, just off the main street. This one, if my google-mapping skills are up to scratch.

Arromanches Militaria Militaria

11 boulevard Gilbert Longuet

02 31 21 51 04

Arromanchesmilitaria@Free.Fr

Don't know about authenticity, or about value-for-money though it seems like the sort of place where you hold up some readies & barter. There are plenty of other shops in the town selling photos etc, & poss some authentic stuff.

Arromanches in the British & Commonwealth sector, but it's at the western end - only about 11 miles from Omaha/American cemetery which will be on your must-see list. And it's a pleasant & interesting little town, with remnants of the D-Day Mulberry Harbour, a seafront D-Day museum, lots of D-Day shops, cafes etc, and a 360degree D-Day cinema on the headland a mile outside the town.

I'm guessing there's a few other memorabilia shops along the entire D-Day stretch, your guide should know at least one or two.

Your wallet will be a far more productive tool than a metal detector.

Bonne chance

John Bull

Archived